Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES - Take: Two (Read 31 times)

LRB

This is medically sanctioned advice.  (Two years ago, when I first injured my knee, I got, "It's fine to run as long as you can stand the pain."  Which is really, "I don't know how to fix you so just deal with it," but hey...)

Yeah I'm not ready for the circus that is medical professionals trying to figure out the inexplicable. I've had an MRI, multiple x-rays and even ultrasounds and it can be inexact where running injuries are concerned.

I was told once that I might not run again and another time that I had three stress fractures on my shin, so sometimes it's just people throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

In the case of my ankle and heel, I just don't think I'm going to be told anything that's going to be worth the downtime, periods of waiting and expense of copays and appointments. I could be wrong but experience has taught me that these things can and often do work themselves out in time...and sometimes they don't and you're (not you, me) left looking like an idiot. lol

onemile

I was told once that I might not run again and another time that I had three stress fractures on my shin, so sometimes it's just people throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

I remember that...and you weren't even having a shin problem at the time right?

I wonder what would have happened if you just kept running on it?

DavePNW

Yeah I'm not ready for the circus that is medical professionals trying to figure out the inexplicable. I've had an MRI, multiple x-rays and even ultrasounds and it can be inexact where running injuries are concerned.

In the case of my ankle and heel, I just don't think I'm going to be told anything that's going to be worth the downtime, periods of waiting and expense of copays and appointments. I could be wrong but experience has taught me that these things can and often do work themselves out in time...and sometimes they don't and you're (not you, me) left looking like an idiot. lol

I hear ya. You didn't even mention the time & cost of PT, their default solution. I won't say the medical community can't help with running-related injuries, but it's probably the exception rather than the rule. I think for me to go to a doctor, the injury would have to (1) linger for a very long time, or (2) affect my non-running life.

Dave

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

It feels good I hope?

Satisfyingly fatigued.

Runner with a riding problem.

Zelanie

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Why is it that I can get up at the ass crack of dawn and work out, but trying to read through these damn pages is exhausting???? 

Anyways, good news - my knee pain is nowhere to be found, in fact there is no pain..... but there was wobbliness in my quads and hamstrings this morning after the gym....... for the first 2 miles I seriously felt like I might fall over 

At the gym -

No automatic alt text available.

Then I headed home, feeling a bit weak in the knees and stomach - so I had me a piece of Dutch Apple Pie before Jetta and I headed out for our run. It was supposed to be 3 miles but ended up being 4.5 miles...... 72 degrees, 73% humidity and a DP probably around 65 so not awful but as the sun got higher, the sweat really began to just leak out of  me...

Anyways, I actually like night time races.... anytime the sun is down is a great time for me. Except for the fucking bugs man, it seems that between dusk and full blown night the freaking bugs are right at face level, or more precisely.... mouth level - WTF!!!!!????

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

I remember that...and you weren't even having a shin problem at the time right?

I wonder what would have happened if you just kept running on it?

I did. lol

That was the mysterious injury that I vaguely recall occurring in my garage on Good Friday that year, 2015. I ran at the track the next day and came home to it sore and swollen. Ironically, it's been one thing after another since that injury and I have yet to display the fitness or run the race times that I had up to that point. I guess one could call it a harbinger because I injured my back a month later, then DNFd the Monumental later that fall. But yeah, that particular injury healed itself.

LRB

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yesterday:   Started at TriPoint YMCA and headed for the Monte Vista area, an historic old district in San Antonio with much nice houses. A few hills along the way. Planned on 3 easy miles but felt so good kept on going. Made a stop at the office of my wife's auto mechanic - yeah, she has a guy, lol - and popped in to give his dog, Weimeraner Mercedes, a treat. Mercedes was very happy to see me, lol. Ended up with 5.1 miles in 57 minutes. One thing I've learned in 33 years of running, if you're feeling good, go a little longer for a while, cuz you never know what tomorrow may bring. So I got my 'long run' for the week out of the way early this week, nice!

Today:  3.2 easy miles at Fort Sam Houston. Nice easy run after my somewhat hilly 5 miles yesterday.  Weather was actually pretty nice.  Even though the temp was in the 70s at 6 a.m. the dew-point was low, so it actually felt pretty comfortable out.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Why is it that I can get up at the ass crack of dawn and work out, but trying to read through these damn pages is exhausting???? 

Because you are all about yourself, obvi.

Great news with the knee. Try not to do a million sets of leg exercises the next time time you're at the gym!

I haven't done enough evening races to form an opinion about them, and haven't done any night races so I cannot speak on them at all. It is said that late afternoon/early evening is the best time to race, but I wouldn't know.

DavePNW

I haven't done enough any evening races 

^this. But if I did, I'd probably just tempo it in.

MTA: 

Dave

LRB

^this. But if I did, I'd probably just tempo it in.

I have done one, a 5k in August one year. It was awful. 

bluerun

Super B****

Because you are all about yourself, obvi.

Great news with the knee. Try not to do a million sets of leg exercises the next time time you're at the gym!

I haven't done enough evening races to form an opinion about them, and haven't done any night races so I cannot speak on them at all. It is said that late afternoon/early evening is the best time to race, but I wouldn't know.

I think every single 5K PR I've run since 2015 has been in an evening race.  Then again... I haven't run many morning 5Ks since 2015.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

I have done a few evening races but the problem is that they are always in the summer.

DavePNW

I think every single 5K PR I've run since 2015 has been in an evening race.  Then again... I haven't run many morning 5Ks since 2015.

Maybe that's my problem. I originally had a 5k I was going to do this weekend, but I think other plans are getting in the way. Just the other day I was looking at potential races in July; one that came up I completely wrote off because it was an evening race. Maybe I should give it a try.

Dave