Beginners and Beyond

Raining ThursDailies (Read 24 times)

LRB

No run this morning due to a 615am appt for a root canal  Still dealing with the aftermath of my crown falling out during that terrible HM in July. Will fit a run in later today, most likely when it's high of 84F.

I had never flown on a plane before 9/11 so didn't really experience the drastic changes that happened at the airports afterwards. I was a sophomore in college during 2001.

I flew to Vegas the following month, there were marines patrolling the airport with assault rifles in their hands. It was surreal.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I flew to Vegas the following month, there were marines patrolling the airport with assault rifles in their hands. It was surreal.

That's how the French guard their train stations even before 9/11. On our first trip there, we were getting on the tube or whatever it's called there and these 6'+ blond soldiers walked buy with assault rifles and dressed like for war. We were so behind on security compared to the rest of the world until 9/11 and then we did all the stupid things like taking off our shoes like that does anything to keep us safer.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

That's how the French guard their train stations even before 9/11. On our first trip there, we were getting on the tube or whatever it's called there and these 6'+ blond soldiers walked buy with assault rifles and dressed like for war. We were so behind on security compared to the rest of the world until 9/11 and then we did all the stupid things like taking off our shoes like that does anything to keep us safer.

that might have thwarted the "Shoe Bomber" on a flight to Detroit, post-9/11 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

that might have thwarted the "Shoe Bomber" on a flight to Detroit, post-9/11 

Meh, that guy couldn't even light his feet, least of all a plane.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Well, there haven't been any more shoe bombers.

On 911, I was at work in DC. We all crammed in my boss' office to watch the news after the first plane hit the Tower. I got an email from a friend saying there was another headed for Congress (that was flight 93). One of my co-workers was driving past the Pentagon when the plane hit there. My brother in law was on his way to a meeting there that morning and just missed it. At the office, we were told to go home, but the Metro was shut down so I started the long walk and tried to decide whether it would be worth trying to hitch, given the fact that the traffic wasn't moving at all. After about 10 minutes, word on the street was the trains were running again, so I hopped on board at the next station. I had told my husband I was heading home before I left work, so he was waiting at New Carrolton along with 1000 other cars. It was a very scary day.

When we were in Alaska a few years later, we heard about people who had been in the back-country during 9/11. Since all planes were grounded, some hikers and hunters were stranded for several days, with no way of knowing what had happened or why their planes didn't show up. When the plane that was supposed to pick us up was late, I wondered whether something else had happened.

DavePNW

Are you ready for some football?

On the Sunday night game, my Bears take on Baboon’s Rams. I am not optimistic. For the Bears it may be less of a question of how many games they go before giving up on Andy Dalton and putting in Justin Fields, but how many quarters. Not sure how Baboon feels about his new QB Matthew Stafford. LRB and wolvmar will assure him that Stafford will put up some big numbers then throw a pick at the most inopportune time. I suppose the Lions can expect the same from Jared Goff. Although the big numbers may be questionable.

Dave

Jess runs for bacon

No run for me today, just some strength. Toe still feeling good so I'm hopeful.

My stepdad was in the city on 9/11 and it took us hours to get a hold of him. He wasn't in the towers thankfully, but he lost friends and coworkers.

RunningOnSand

ran an easy 5 followed by a short leg workout then off to an 8am meeting in "The D." Since last Thursday was an off day, and I ran this Thursday because I probably won't run much this weekend, my rolling 7 days hit 65. Makes me feel like Dave and Baboon! At least for a day...

That's legit!

RunningOnSand

I was at the gym with a personal trainer. I remember her and I staring at the screen, cancelling the session, and driving home in disbelief. Then being glued to the TV for the rest of the day. I was dating my [then] boyfriend (now husband) at the time and I remember him feeling such a sense of patriotism that he briefly considered joining the service (Marines, Army, etc.). Do you remember that? The feeling of being somewhat united as a country? 

USRD. And all because of a scheduling error. I usually try to wake up 45min - 1hr prior to a run so I can drink coffee, become energized, and wait for the coffee to "work" so I don't have the PM chasing me. For some unknown reason I set my alarm 15 min prior to me needing to head out the door for a run. Needless to say, I did not run.

sdWhiskers

I was in a speech class in college and the prof came in all frazzled and dismissed us. Many students headed to our big student union building where there were TVs as tall as I am and just sat around watching. I don't remember if classes were cancelled for a few days but probably.

sdWhiskers

Sounds like every airport in the Caribbean.

sdWhiskers

Ran/'walked 5 miles around lunchtime. Mid 80s out there and full sun, yuck. I never run midday but seemed like a crazy amount of traffic.

sdWhiskers

Are you ready for some football?

I can't handle another season of hearing about how awesome T Brady is. Hoping for a blowout tonight.

DavePNW

I was in a meeting with a customer in Ypsilanti, MI. The meeting was in a conference room off the lobby, where there was a guy at a reception desk. In the middle of the meeting I can hear the radio really loud coming from the lobby, although I couldn't make out any of it. I was so annoyed, like WTF is this receptionist doing cranking the radio up like that? Then when the meeting was done I walked out and the guy says "a plane just flew in the World Trade Center." I got in my car to drive the ~1 hr back home, and heard on the radio about the second plane and the towers coming down. Then of course watched it on TV the rest of the day. I was working from home anyway, but that day was over.

Dave

DavePNW

I can't handle another season of hearing about how awesome T Brady is. Hoping for a blowout tonight.

I agree but ugh, do I have to root for the Cowboys?

Dave