Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Seen in Harlem (Read 36 times)

DavePNW

OK, training advice time. In case I decide to do a 10k next weekend (Sun 11/17), 2 weeks out from my marathon.

Normally I do tempo workout on Wed, MLR on Fri, LR/MP on Sun.

So next week if the race is on Sunday, my thought is to basically call that the tempo for the week, and instead do an MP workout on Wed. I'd probably also run a bunch of extra miles after the race. And cut back some on the Fri MLR.

The week following, I'm scheduled for another tempo on Wed. Too much/too soon if I've just raced? Convert that to an MP workout too? (I'll already have one the following Sun.) That's about 10 days out, usually when I have the last hard workout.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. I may be overthinking this, but that's what we do.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

A friend of mine used a robe before Glass City.  I'm tempted to use my old robe that I never used because, you know, Miami. It's super warm for pre race waiting.

Damaris

Cyberic

Another day on the sidelines for me. I can't even fathom how I've felt this poorly for this long of a stretch, but that's how the cookie (or my running) crumbles. Hopefully I can pick back up starting tomorrow.

Damn!

Cyberic

OK, training advice time. In case I decide to do a 10k next weekend (Sun 11/17), 2 weeks out from my marathon.

Normally I do tempo workout on Wed, MLR on Fri, LR/MP on Sun.

So next week if the race is on Sunday, my thought is to basically call that the tempo for the week, and instead do an MP workout on Wed. I'd probably also run a bunch of extra miles after the race. And cut back some on the Fri MLR.

The week following, I'm scheduled for another tempo on Wed. Too much/too soon if I've just raced? Convert that to an MP workout too? (I'll already have one the following Sun.) That's about 10 days out, usually when I have the last hard workout.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. I may be overthinking this, but that's what we do.

Wednesday - How about Intervals? Get your nervous system ready for some fast running? Or you could do MP like you said.

Fri-Sat - Easy miles, no MLR

Sun: 10K race + additional miles

Wednesday - Normal workout (Tempo), by effort. Maybe your pace will be off a bit, but that's ok. You've had two days easy since a 10K race... I think that is enough. And if you're really tired after this workout... who cares? You have 10 days to recover.

It could be otherwise, but I think that makes sense.

DavePNW

^ thanks, I think a lot of that makes sense.

Dave

LRB

You already know I fall on the conservative side so you can stop reading now and just scan to the next post. lol

I don't particularly like to run anything hard the week of a race so some strides would be it for me, if I even did that. Coming out of the race, an MP run really serves no purpose with another one coming up but then again, one can never get enough miles at MP.

You seem to do well with your MLRs so I am not sure skipping them matters much. For someone else, maybe, but you? Feed the beast.

DavePNW

I don't particularly like to run anything hard the week of a race so some strides would be it for me, if I even did that.

I always do some kind of abbreviated workout race week, usually Tues for Sat or Wed for Sun. Workout depends on the distance.

I guess it's weird to do an MP workout as prep for a 10k, but of course that thing is not my goal race, so maybe it's NBD.

Anyway I just basically ran a 10k PR today, with two 1/2 mile breaks.

Dave

From the Internet.

Wednesday - How about Intervals? Get your nervous system ready for some fast running? Or you could do MP like you said.

Fri-Sat - Easy miles, no MLR

Sun: 10K race + additional miles

Wednesday - Normal workout (Tempo), by effort. Maybe your pace will be off a bit, but that's ok. You've had two days easy since a 10K race... I think that is enough. And if you're really tired after this workout... who cares? You have 10 days to recover.

It could be otherwise, but I think that makes sense.

Agree with this. Run a few strides Friday or Saturday.

GinnyinPA

D - if your realtor persists, I would report her to her broker and possibly to the state board of realtors. That is really unethical conduct.

I ran 6.6.

bluerun

Super B****

Guyssss I saw two dolphins!! (Not that I've never seen dolphins before. But they've never joined me on a dive!)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

We're out of the miles game. I will go out on a limb and say it was not my fault 

Don't know if I'll join next year. I liked the all start week format, but not the season and playoffs team format.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't be much of a game if it was individual, so I guess the teams format makes more sense, but as someone (I think it was either Baboon or LRB) told me, it really sucks all the excuses people have for not running their miles. Injured? Ok. Not injured? You run your miles, pal. You entered a MILES game in which you set whatever goal you want.

onemile

I ran 12 with URP.  It would have been a miserable run by myself but somehow we had fun. Blizzarding out

Cyberic

I ran 12 with URP.  It would have been a miserable run by myself but somehow we had fun. Blizzarding out

We've only had a few flakes here. Not complaining. mind you. Just enjoying the fact that my winter is starting later than yours this year.

onemile

We've only had a few flakes here. Not complaining. mind you. Just enjoying the fact that my winter is starting later than yours this year.

We got 5.5 inches of snow on Halloween. That melted in 2 days. Today it's been a mixture of snow to rain and then turning to snow again. Not a ton of accumulating so far

LRB

Guyssss I saw two dolphins!! (Not that I've never seen dolphins before. But they've never joined me on a dive!)

Pics or it didn't happen, you know the rules.