Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies Winter Warning - Is anyone warm besides folks in South Florida? (Read 48 times)

LRB

Afrer an interesting drive in through ye olde lake effect, I can see about 40 feet out of the terminal windows.  The good thing about airplanes, is that they fly.  I think. If they can get off the ground.

That's the best part of flying; leaving it all behind!

LRB

What do you guys when school is delayed or cancelled?  You have to go to work, no?  I see so many friends posting cancellations or delays that I wonder.  They sure cannot bring them here every day for the Winter (you know what I mean, here means my agency), except with some exceptions.

Kids stay home, bacon earners go earn bacon.  If the kids are too young to stay at home alone, have more kids so the older ones can keep the younger ones while bacon earners go earn bacon.

Should the need arise however, that bacon earners must stay home with the kids. That shit better not happen more than twice in a season or bacon earners may need to find a new place to earn bacon.

Half Crazy K 2.0

What do you guys when school is delayed or cancelled?  You have to go to work, no?  I see so many friends posting cancellations or delays that I wonder.  They sure cannot bring them here every day for the Winter (you know what I mean, here means my agency), except with some exceptions.

i work with school based programs, I don't have kids. The advantage for staff with kids is that most of the time, all the counties here do the same thing, so they are home when schools close.

These delays and closings are a nightmare for staff. We serve kids from the entire central Maryland area. Our therapists have to make up all sessions missed due to weather related closingsand delays. That includes when our school is open but a surrounding county is closed. Our staff start praying for no snow days.

B-Plus

Can't they have indoor recess?

adkkev

In Alaska?  Outdoor recess is mandatory there ... along with owning a dog that can ride in the bed of your pickup truck with the cracked windshield.

Seriously ... life in Fairbanks is a bit different than down in the lower 48.

DavePNW

They have indoor recess when the weather is inclement.

They cancel school when the weather is considered dangerous to drive in (due to snow/ice), or dangerous for kids to be waiting outside at bus stops (due to severe cold).

I think overall they are erring way on the safe side these days vs. years ago, but everyone is always more afraid of liability in general now (in the US anyway). I don't ever remember school being cancelled due to cold when I was a kid, and this was in Chicago where it got plenty cold. We had some snow days, but I think the standard was a lot higher then.

Dave

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

My wife works as a 1/2 day secretary at the local elementary school here in SE PA.  When the schools close for a snow day, the administrative staff (non-union of course) and the principal MUST go into the school.  Last year during our snowmageddon she had to drive though 8" of snow to the school, only to sit there with 2 other women and answer the phone.  She is not allowed any personal days nor gets any vacation time.  Of course all the teachers and staff were off and snuggled at home.  WTF.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

was pretty bitter cold here too.  Not below 0 but the wind was awful.

10.2 for me

We lost power around 6 this am.  No idea why.  Initially they were saying on the power companies site that it would be 1030 before it was restored.  Luckily it came on before 8

I'm making my grandmother chilli.  I think that is called for when it is so cold out!

Marjorie

Cyberic

Kids stay home, bacon earners go earn bacon.  If the kids are too young to stay at home alone, have more kids so the older ones can keep the younger ones while bacon earners go earn bacon.

Should the need arise however, that bacon earners must stay home with the kids. That shit better not happen more than twice in a season or bacon earners may need to find a new place to earn bacon.

lol. That's right. And this bacon earner always tells Mrs bacon earner that she has to stay home. But it is not often because Mrs bacon earner's mom, who is a retired bacon earner, lives very close by and takes care of the kids, who won't need caring for very soon. But I see plenty of co-bacon earners who have to stay home when school is cancelled.

Cyberic

-15F at 7 am this morning in Beloeil, with a feel like of -39F (not joking...) HAHAHA! I WIN!

We both win 

Skipped my usual lunch hour run because of a work meeting that finished late and left me feeling kinda empty. Figured I'd go run during son's soccer practice tonight, but that remains to be seen. I might also take a rest day. Although not so cold anymore, it is still below comfortable, and running in the dark doesn't appeal to me much.

Half Crazy K 2.0

My wife works as a 1/2 day secretary at the local elementary school here in SE PA.  When the schools close for a snow day, the administrative staff (non-union of course) and the principal MUST go into the school.  Last year during our snowmageddon she had to drive though 8" of snow to the school, only to sit there with 2 other women and answer the phone.  She is not allowed any personal days nor gets any vacation time.  Of course all the teachers and staff were off and snuggled at home.  WTF.

That sucks. My department is part of a larger organization, primarily known for its hospital programs. The hospital side of things naturally do not shut down. Ever. Working with the school programs, the staff who work directly with kids follow the city schools for delays and closings with the exception of heat (we have AC). I am year round admin staff and do not follow that. I get a few snow days per year that I can use only when city schools close. However, once those run out, I have to use vacation. For delays, my boss is flexible and allows those who are salary to use their discretion in when they come in. I fortunately get benefits & time off. But it still sucks to show up at work when there are maybe 10 people in & everyone else is home in their pjs--this also applies to all the typical breaks. I keep telling myself it must mean what I am doing is important. None of our staff are union.

Baboon

delicate flower

Weather!  I agree.  As such, I will be treadmilling today because screw that shit.

Change of plans.  7.5 hilly miles done.  8:15 pace.  Wind chill of 7, which doesn't sound that cold compared to some of you.  I wore too many layers and was way too warm.  Nice run though and I enjoyed it.  After the last two work days I had, I needed that run today.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks for the explanations.  I have always wondered about that.

4 miles with 6 X 100m strides.  I have not done strides in forever.  They were surprisingly fast but I didn't program the TomTom for manual laps so I don't know the pace of each but they were done in around 30 seconds.  I used to do them faster but for today, they were fast.

Damaris

Little Blue

I'm gonna toddle off for a bit.  Y'all have a nice weekend, and try to stay warm!!

LRB

I'm gonna toddle off for a bit.  Y'all have a nice weekend, and try to stay warm!!

Thank you!

I just got home, it's nasty out there.