Beginners and Beyond

Need recommendations for neutral cushioned shoes (Read 98 times)

StepbyStep-SH

I have been lucky that for the first 6 years of my running career I could reliably buy Asics Cumulus and Saucony ProGrid Rides and have no problems. Those have been my go-to shoes for years.

But the latest versions of both don't quite work anymore. I wore the Cumulus from 9 through 12 and loved them. Now both the 13s and 14s seem a little narrow in the toe box. Not a problem on shorter runs, but hitting marathon distance they just feel too cramped. And the Rides were great through version 4, but I just took out a pair of what are now POWERGrid Ride 5s, and between the change in the cushioning system and (I think) a lower toe-heel drop, I am getting tightness in my calves and sore arches. The calves will adapt, but I don't like feeling like my arches don't have enough support and cushioning.

I have had success also with a couple pair of New Balance 1080s ($$$) that I found way discounted because they were older versions.

Anyone else find good replacements for Cumulus and/or Rides?

I've tried Brooks and Mizunos in the past, but the collar seemed high on the Brooks, and I can't remember why I sent the Mizunos back.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

RabbitChaser

I like the Mizuno Wave Riders. I've been using them for about a year now. I just bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 6 and tried them for a short tun last night. They seemed OK, but I like the Mizunos more. I also have a pair of the Pearl Izumi Road EM N2. My first run in them was a 15 mile run and I had no issues. They will be my go to shoe for any races up to and including the HM. I'm not sure how I like them for longer distances yet.

Just B.S.

Steph, I have been wearing the Cumulus since version 5 (think I started with them around 2005) and am

currently wearing what is probably my 29th and 30th pair.  For my first 5 years of running I tried just about

every brand around and nothing worked for me until I found the Cumulus. Although I know shoes have

come a long way since the early 2000's.

However I found myself having the same issues as you and after the 13's were introduced I went from

wearing an 8.5 wide to a 9 in order to get more room and have my beloved Cumulus feel "right" again.

I have been wearing the 13's and now the 14's for all of 2013 through many races and several

marathons. I just ordered another new pair of 14's I have another full on Oct 27th and will wear the

Cumulus 14 to get me through that race but they still aren't feeling quite right to me.

The 8.5 is too short, the 9 is too long.  Let me know if you find something you like and I may give them a try.

P.S. I tried a pair of Saucony Hurriance's on someone recommendation and don't like them at all.

Of course being that I wore only one type of shoe for 8 years I'm not sure I would like anything else on

first try.

RSX

I have worn New Balance cushioned shoes for years. I have usually gone to their outlet store in our area, but at a LRS recently I was fitted for 780s. They have felt great the first 80 miles and will wear them for a marathon this weekend. I bought 2 more pairs at the outlet store when they had a big sale the other day.

bluerun

Super B****

When I was first fitted at my LRS, I was put in the Cumulus 13.  I found them way too clunky in the heel from the start, but other than that, they were fine.  I then moved on to the Brooks Ghost 4, which I loved, but I didn't love the 5 quite as much... I do like the Mizuno Wave Rider 16 quite a bit, though.  But they do run narrower.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, 2 weeks ago I'd have gone on and on about the Nike Pegasus.  In fact, regardless of what I say here, if you put them on you will think you went to Cumulus heaven.  (Nike is on version 30 now.  If you can find 29's, they're 99% the same & will be cheaper, of course)

After my recent knee fiasco I can't say what it is I did (or didn't do) so I can't honestly blame the shoes.  In fact, thinking about it now, I probably can't no matter how badly I might like to find something to blame because both pairs of my Peg29's probably have at least 400 miles each on them. (They look practically new still).  If, however, they had anything to do with my knee, then I curse them to hell.  Shy Wink

I wish there was a perfect shoe, but I don't think there is.  Too many individual feet & circumstances.  And I've found, like you....even when you find a great shoe, they often change it on you & ruin the legacy.  (I still don't get that.  Especially when most shoe co's have so many flavors.)

Randy

If you want to give the Cumulus another chance, they are now available in version 15

Absent that, the Ghost v6 is a very good shoe

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Step, if you liked the Cumulus but are looking for a bit more SUPPORT than they give, then move up to the ASICS Nimbus.  They are pretty much the same shoe, with the exception that the Nimbus is a bit heavier than the Cumulus and provides more support.  I underpronate, so I need a cushioning shoe. But I am also a 'bigger" (ok, fatter) runner, so need extra support than most cushioning shoes give. The Nimbus fits the bill perfectly. I have run in them for several years now with no problems.   The Mizuno Wave Creations are also good, however for me they are way more expensive than the Nimbus, since I can get the Nimbus at the military exchange stores for a really good price. So I go with the Nimbus.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

StepbyStep-SH

Thanks, everyone! I'm taking notes for when I can get to a store to try things on. We don't have a LRS nearby, but one of the local shoe stores has a very large selection, so I should at least be able to put them on and see if something seems right.

skygazer

I'm of no help here.

Just I have the same issue. So I'd like to see what you find out. New Balance is the only shoe that I know has enough comfortable width for my feet. But I don't like the low heel drop that also reminds me why I didn't like NB back in college.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

ASICS really screwed up the Cumulus line with the 14s.  The 15s are much improved but I currently like Brooks Ghost 6s better.  I also tried on some NB 1080s that felt pretty good too.

Important to note that Brooks tend to run a little wide in the toe box; perfect for me and not so good for others.

You people have issues 

Just B.S.

ASICS really screwed up the Cumulus line with the 14s.  The 15s are much improved but I currently like Brooks Ghost 6s better.  I also tried on some NB 1080s that felt pretty good too.

Important to note that Brooks tend to run a little wide in the toe box; perfect for me and not so good for others.

Yes, they did. After 25+ pairs I could tell the difference on the first run with them. Just purchased another

pair of 14's. Was about to give up on the Cumulus and try something else. Will try the 15's a shot before I start

looking at other brands/shoes.

StepbyStep-SH

Yes, they did. After 25+ pairs I could tell the difference on the first run with them. Just purchased another

pair of 14's. Was about to give up on the Cumulus and try something else. Will try the 15's a shot before I start

looking at other brands/shoes.

I just ordered another pair of 14s, too, to give me some time to search out something else. Active.com had them in their "gear up" offers discounted enough that they were under $65 with shipping and taxes for Advantage members, so I figured it was worth it even though they aren't great.

Good to know that the 15s are better.

Just B.S.

I just ordered another pair of 14s, too, to give me some time to search out something else. Active.com had them in their "gear up" offers discounted enough that they were under $65 with shipping and taxes for Advantage members, so I figured it was worth it even though they aren't great.

Good to know that the 15s are better.

We always buy from efootwear.com

Limited selection but great prices on earlier releases. The 14's cost $140 here at home so

ordering them on line and driving an hour or so to the border to pick them up is well worth

it.  

Hubby and I get two for the price of what we would pay for one pair in Canada..

I just picked up a pair of Asics Cumulus 14s on discount and although I can't put my finger on exactly why, I really don't like them very much.  (I loved the 13s and went through several pairs.)  I'm glad I didn't pick up two pairs.  I also don't like the changes to the Saucony Ride.  I used to like them a lot, and with the last pair I bought, my legs feel beat up after I run in them.

My go-to shoe had been the Asics Landreth, which of course Asics in their wisdom discontinued.

Next pair for me will either be to try the Cumulus 15, or another pair of Mizuno Wave Riders.  I don't really like anything right now in the neutral class.