Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday - Who let the Penguins out? (Read 216 times)

T-Rod - tell your wife to move on, she might just be suprised how well she does with a more difficult day

I think that she will if she stays consistent. I have told her that I dont care what workout she does, but as long as she is having some fun and doing something she will make gains. We have a 5k color run in Feb, so I know she will be ready for that. I have already told her that I will do it with her and wont have music or a watch on. 

Is is kinda different that I will have done a 4.5 run, a 15k, a HM, and a full marathon (possiblly 2 fulls) before doing a 5k or a 10k.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

His Slowness

Happy Hump Day Penguins.  My new job is keeping me a lot busier than I want to be but that's life.  I got in my 3 mile stroll this morning and felt terrible the whole way.  My legs still feel like wood! 

Bill

Singer who runs a smidge

Is is kinda different that I will have done a 4.5 run, a 15k, a HM, and a full marathon (possiblly 2 fulls) before doing a 5k or a 10k.

Eh, you're just weird.  Big grin

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Snickers1230

Hey penguins!  Another busy day/week at work :/.  I haven't read the thread yet, but going to try to get back to it little by little through out the day.

Planning an easy few miles after work.  Not sure yet if it will be at the park or on the treadmill.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Snickers1230

Did core strengthening yesterday. It was 64 when I got home but only had 15 minutes before sundown so I didn't get to take the bike out. tonight ym workout tonight.

Awood - I was thinking of starting a thread where everyone posts a pic of the most decorated home in their neighborhoodn- we all have at least one!

The 2 houses across the street each add new lights or decorations everyday.  I think they are trying to out-decorate each other!

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yay, Kara fixed her avatar, we can see her lovely smiling face again!

Bill, how many days a week are you running?  How long have you been at it now?  Are you following a schedule?  Sorry your legs are still sore.  If you've been at it a while now, they should be starting to get accustomed to it.  If the leg hurting continues, you might want to check to see if maybe there is some other underlying cause for that. 

Is is kinda different that I will have done a 4.5 run, a 15k, a HM, and a full marathon (possiblly 2 fulls) before doing a 5k or a 10k.  No, Tomas, in your case, with your job,  you need those long runs, so you can work out all that frustration you get from the students..  Wink

Dusty has to stop and sniff the culverts. And what's wrong with that?  Heck, I do that sometimes too, stop for a sniff or play break. Big grin  And if i need to rest a moment, I sit on a fire hydrant.  Joking

Both DDs have qualified to run in a national club meet in Albuquerque, NM this weekend.  Nice!  Good luck to them both, Jack!  You're doing a Jolly half marathon?  So everyone laughs for 13 miles? Wink    Sounds like fun. 

Gotta try to get home from work in time to do some shopping before stores close.  Umm, ok, I don't get this, Zelanie.  Why don't you just go shopping right from work instead of going home first?

Happy running, Jackie!  How is the weather down in Houston area?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Snickers1230

Morning all!

I love the personals, you guys are so caring & motivating! Sorry I’m always in such a rush that I don’t get to say individual hellos Sad!

5 miles yesterday on the indoor track…16 laps = 1 mile, yikes Surprised! I turn up the volume on my headphones and go around & around & around!

Another 5 miles inside tonight.

Have a wonderful Wednesday Penguins Smile!

Brenda

I'm the same way most of the time. Pop in to read and post, and then out.  I took a short lunch break today so I feel I can get in a few personals Smile

And that's a lot of laps!  I almost prefer the treadmill to doing indoor laps like that.

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Snickers1230

Happy running, Jackie!  How is the weather down in Houston area?

It stormed all day yesterday.  It was miserable.  But today is just cloudy.  My phone says its 62 out so it should be some nice temps when I get off work.  If the rain stays away, I'll go to the park.  But if rains any today, I'll probably just go on the treadmill cause the park will get all muddy...

I hope we get some actual cool weather soon!

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Brady - I would love to decorate your house for beer and smoked meats.  I'm not sure I'm going to have the time though.

Zel / Kara - I wish that were my house.

The reason that I'm so into the lights is because my first house was purchased for $10,000 cash.  I had to replace the main support, roof, windows, doors, electrical, plumbing, insulation, drywall, move walls, replace siding, you name it.  I was a young entrepreneur that didn't want a lot of debt, and just wanted a place of my own.  I currently rent that house out because I don't want to forget.  Anyway, the neighbor across the street decorated every year, and I always got a little bit of joy from looking over and seeing all of the lights.  So, I decided that I'd brighten up my project with some lights one year, and a friendly competition began.  We even discussed building an arch from their house to mine.  Then, we could put up more lights.  Contrary to popular belief, the lights don't really use enough energy to make huge difference on your bill.  The key is to buy some more lights every year right after Christmas.  Buying them all at once at full price would be expensive.

Well, I have a bigger house now, and the neighbors here weren't really decorating when I showed up.  They have a lot of money, but didn't have a lot of interest in Christmas lights.  In 2008 the economy went to hell, and I lost my job.  I had sold my business, and was now on unemployment.  I had a lot of time on my hands, and not a lot of prospects out there.  Yeah, I was a little depressed.  So, I broke out the old Christmas lights.  My parents saw them, and donated a lot that they had just collecting dust in the basement.  Then, we came to inherit some lawn decorations.  That winter I sat in my living room and watched cars slow down to stare at what myself, and my girlfriend (now fiance) had created.  A felt like we had helped to lift the spirits of ourselves and others during some pretty tough times.

Fast forward to now.  Each year we've picked up some more lights every year.  The neighborhood has followed suit.  Every night I throw up a few more, or a few more thousand lights after my run.  Then, we get in the car and see what everybody else did that day.  On the way home, we get to see what everybody else sees as they drive past our house.  Next Monday, they're calling for snow.  So, we're racing to get everything up and lit.  I can't wait to see everything lit up, and reflecting off of the snow.  I'm going to do my best to get some pictures up after this weekend, but we also have to get out and get our tree.  The center of our room is about 11 feet tall, and we always have to find one that goes all the way to the top. 

I try to do a little something anonymous every year for Christmas, but this is the one thing that I do to brighten spirits that I'll take some credit for.  We have a lot of work into it, and really look forward to sitting back and watching the reactions of others. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Gustav, thanks for starting us off again!

Awood, I am slacking big time on finishing up the decorating, hopefully by the weekend.

Rach, hope you have a good workout!

Jimmy, sorry to hear about the tough night, hope you're feeling better.

Mitch, nothing wrong with a lil rest, have a great run tonight!

Jerry, enjoy the rest!

Kristin, it was really warm here too, feels weird running in shorts and a singlet in December lol

ERLH, thanks, I really appreciate that, I love it when I can help motivate others Smile Hope you have a great workout!

Kara, thanks, just in the groove Smile Glad to hear the little one is feeling better, that always sucks. Great run last night, hope you have another good one today. Much better pic btw, your other one was dark and it was hard to see your smiling face. Smile

Robert, great run, glad to hear the ankle is feeling better. I love running in the early morning, sets the tone for my whole day.

Damaris, hope you have a good run. Smile

Brenda, great job on the indoor run, I'd go insane going in circles like that lol Don't worry about the personals, there's a lot of times I can't get to 'em, so I just do 'em when I can.

Scotty, thanks, it's a great route through a couple of neighborhoods, I like it. Good job yesterday, hope you have a great run tonight, enjoy the lights (I love seeing all the lights on my morning runs!).

Brady, thanks! I was thinking about that the other day, I figure I was more intimidating when I was overweight, just from my size, even tho I'm actually stronger now lol Concerning the bloody belly button, could it be chafing?

Tomas, I get up at 5 and I'm usually out the door by 5:30. Lately it's been taking me a lil over an hour (1:03-1:06) to do 8.07 miles. I am blessed with a very flexible schedule tho, so even if I get out the door a lil late, it's usually not a big deal, unless I have a meeting scheduled (on those days sometimes I'll get up at 4:30, just to make sure I have enough time). I'm also really slow getting ready in the morning, just because I like to relax and take time to eat and check the forums after my run. Smile Enjoy your rest today!

Zel, thanks! Have a great run tonight and enjoy the shopping.

HM, I wish I could take our dogs running, but they're little, and mean lol Have fun at practice.

Jack, have a good run later. Congrats to your DDs, best of luck to them!

Bill, sorry to hear about the sucky run, one thing I always think of when I have a bad run, is that my next one is almost guaranteed to be better. Smile

Jackie, hope you have a great run later!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Wandering Wally

Wow, busy group today.

6.2 miles for me last night under the stars.  Very nice.  Planning something similar tonight.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Snickers1230

Love the story Awood!  Definitely post some pictures with the snow!

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Good morning everyone!! Smile

8 miles done this morning, good run. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

Dave-I just got a chance to go back and read your reply  from yesterday!

Too bad for your first 5K that was supposed to be Thanksgiving day...you were so ready..but AMAZING time on the"real" one!! 

and congrat's on your first floater! LOL! 

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

His Slowness

Bill, how many days a week are you running?  How long have you been at it now?  Are you following a schedule?  Sorry your legs are still sore.  If you've been at it a while now, they should be starting to get accustomed to it.  If the leg hurting continues, you might want to check to see if maybe there is some other underlying cause for that. 

Scotty - I'm doing M-W-F for now.  I started back at the end of July just walking a mile or so.  I've been stretching the distance and upping the pace all along.  I mix up brisk walking with slow running.  My legs aren't really sore just tired.  I increased the distance on each stroll last week from 2.5 to 3 miles.  Monday was great but that was after two days rest.  Today just seemed to be a struggle but I will probably get used to the new mileage in a week or so.  I also started a new job last week that requires a lot of walking.  I cover well over a mile most days just running around to different parts of the building.

I've been overly cautious since I started trying to avoid any injuries.  I know from experience that if I try to go too far too fast I'll hurt something and it's really hard for me to get started again.  I've had no real pain since I started.  Some tender ankles or knees from time to time but no pain.  I'm still about 70 lbs from where I need to be so my run classification system is a little different from most folks.  When I get back to the house and look at the watch I make the decision on what it was.  If I was slow and feel like crap it was an easy run.  If I was fast and feel like crap it was a hard run.  For me, the easy runs are still hard.Smile

One thing I find interesting is that I can walk my route faster than I can run it.  Last week I tried it both ways and was significantly faster walking.  I figure I just haven't learned how to pace myself when I run and am holding back so I know I can make it the whole way.

Bill

Zelanie

Scotty, we're shopping for my nephew and I need to pick up DD first because she wants to pick something out.