Beginners and Beyond

Which is better? (Read 115 times)

LRB

I would not bother counting laps on an indoor track, I would just run at my perceived easy effort for a given amount of time then total it up and assign a mileage value to it.  e.g. 40 minutes is roughly what I do 5 miles in.  I sometimes do this on the bedreaded.

No different than when I run at the outdoor track, I would alternate the direction in I which run within the run, and limit my runs to 6 - 7 miles (about an hour).

As to the question of which is better, I have not run on an indoor track but the idea of propelling myself forward unaided would lead me to choose the elements first (unless it is speed work then track first), track second and the treadmill third.

Running in place in the kitchen comes in at a distant fourth.

Hip Redux

No different than when I run at the outdoor track, I would alternate the direction in I which run within the run, and limit my runs to 6 - 7 miles (about an hour).

Can't alternate with this indoor track  - 1) it's not big enough, you'll be running into people and 2) there is an "assigned" direction each day.

Pics or it didn't happen. Big grin

LRB

Can't alternate with this indoor track  - 1) it's not big enough, you'll be running into people and 2) there is an "assigned" direction each day.

Pics or it didn't happen. Big grin

That makes sense, I would have no issue with it except to limit the distance daily because running continuously in one direction does have an affect on you.  Well, specifically your IT band, or at least it does mine.

Runshortii

I would not bother counting laps on an indoor track, I would just run at my perceived easy effort for a given amount of time then total it up and assign a mileage value to it.  e.g. 40 minutes is roughly what I do 5 miles in.  I sometimes do this on the bedreaded.

This is what I do on the indoor track. I can't keep track of how many laps I've gone or I'll go mad, so I just go by effort and run for minutes as opposed to miles.

happylily

As to the question of which is better, I have not run on an indoor track but the idea of propelling myself forward unaided would lead me to choose the elements first (unless it is speed work then track first), track second and the treadmill third.

This is so true. If only I would train unaided by my TM, I would have finished in what, maybe 3:17 in Boston, instead of 3:27? And two weeks later I would have probably run a 1:30 HM, instead of a 1:35... You think?  I have to stop relying on my TM to do all this aided running for me... 

Oh, and I used to run in place in my basement in my 20s and 30s. I wouldn't have called myself a runner back then, but it works too. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

This is so true. If only I would train unaided by my TM, I would have finished in what, maybe 3:17 in Boston, instead of 3:27? And two weeks later I would have probably run a 1:30 HM, instead of a 1:35... You think?  I have to stop relying on my TM to do all this aided running for me... 

I am sorry lily!

happylily

I am sorry lily!

LOL...

No need to apologize. 

StepbyStep-SH

When I run indoors I have either a TM or a 1/10-mile track.

I cannot run on the track on the days we are supposed to go clockwise - my right ankle is weak and after doing too much, too fast on the track that direction last winter, even short and slow leave it sore.

I will run on the track counterclockwise, as long as I am keeping it slow and under 6-8 miles.

Speedwork or longer runs, if forced inside, are on the TM.

I don't think I would do a 1/18-mile track at all.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

catwhoorg

Labrat

A track that short? TM wins hands down. Now say a 400M track would be a different discussion.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

PADRunner

I'm a wimp but I"m not sure which is better.I've got a .10 indoor track. Longest I've gone is 31 laps. They change direction daily and I tend to lean that direction for the rest of the day. Done 6.5 on the tm.

DavePNW

I don't have the money to belong to a gym, 

Don't you have any cheap gyms near you? I pay $10/month (Planet Fitness).

Dave

obiebyke

Oh, probably. But as I said, I hate treadmills. The one nearby with a nice indoor track is much pricier. And hey, $10/month = $120/year = a new pair of running shoes! Smile

Don't you have any cheap gyms near you? I pay $10/month (Planet Fitness).

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Hip Redux

So far "Get outside you wuss" is winning.  lol

happylily

So far "Get outside you wuss" is winning.  lol

If you're going to do it, apparently Sunday and Monday are the days for it. That's what Fuzzy said. 

StepbyStep-SH

This is why I won't be outside Monday.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.