Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 45 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Shari, good news.

Traffic is so bad I barely made it to Pilates on time and only had time to run 4.

Damaris

workinprogress11

Dave- Damn that knee. I hope it's just a bruise and nothing deeper

Step- I'm glad to hear your good news. I hope it keeps coming.

6x800 with what was supposed to be 400 recovery but ended up closer to 800. Me doing speed stuff on a treadmill is my idea of hell.  My MP runs have been going fine so I don't think I'm off track with my goal. I just can't run fast. Input is welcome.

LRB

Input is welcome.

Training is tough and speed work tougher yet. By doing it however you put yourself in position to have success which does not always occur but I am not sure any of us would ever say we were better off without it.

DavePNW

6x800 with what was supposed to be 400 recovery but ended up closer to 800. Me doing speed stuff on a treadmill is my idea of hell.  My MP runs have been going fine so I don't think I'm off track with my goal. I just can't run fast. Input is welcome.

My only suggestion is to do them at a slower pace. Brilliant, huh? Are you using the pace Hansons says correlates to your GMP? Or your 5k pace?

This winter was my first time trying intervals on the treadmill. I thought it would be torture, but in fact I prefer them to easy runs on the treadmill. Anything to break the monotony.

Dave

happylily

Dave- Damn that knee. I hope it's just a bruise and nothing deeper

Step- I'm glad to hear your good news. I hope it keeps coming.

I agree with doing them slower. As the weeks go by, try increasing the pace. It's an adaptation for sure. I haven't done speed intervals since November and they will kill me when the time comes for them. I know that I won't be able to hit the proper pace at first. So I too will have no choice but to do them slower than required. Pfitz says to run 50% to 90% of the time of the speed interval for the recovery period. I've never bothered calculating what it comes to. On the TM, I do half distance recovery, and if I feel really tired, I take as much as the length of the interval, sometimes. We do what we can...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Step - good news indeed, glad you won't be out for several months

DaveP - ouch, hope it's nothing serious

Boston and greater area - Since you have stolen Buffalo's weather, we are going to steal your sports teams' ability to win championships.  Now go ahead and clear all that snow outta theah before April.

workinprogress11

My only suggestion is to do them at a slower pace. Brilliant, huh? Are you using the pace Hansons says correlates to your GMP? Or your 5k pace?

This winter was my first time trying intervals on the treadmill. I thought it would be torture, but in fact I prefer them to easy runs on the treadmill. Anything to break the monotony.

Per Hanson's beginner plan, I'm supposed to run them between 5k and 10k pace. I've backed off already to 10k pace and they are still killing me. Like I said I was questioning if my goal was too aggressive for my current fitness but I haven't had any problems at all with the MP runs.

I will take everyone's advice and slow them down more if necessary and just keep my MP runs as they are and see how it all shakes out.  Thanks!

Zelanie

Workinprogress, I ran that same workout tonight, with a friend who is also doing Hansons.  For, me the most nerve-racking part of the whole program was the fact that it was all based on goal pace, which in my case just felt like entirely too much guess work for something as momentous as a marathon.  But you are early on, and plenty can happen.  Are you more conditioned to doing longer pace runs than speed workouts?  It could just be that.  That said, I don't remember having trouble with the speed intervals in the plan, and my friend seems to be handling them well too.  And although I could do the speedwork just fine, I was way off in the end as far as my marathon pace.

It could just be the difference between running track on the 6th straight day vs. in other programs when you might have been more fresh, too.

DavePNW

Per Hanson's beginner plan, I'm supposed to run them between 5k and 10k pace. I've backed off already to 10k pace and they are still killing me. Like I said I was questioning if my goal was too aggressive for my current fitness but I haven't had any problems at all with the MP runs.

I will take everyone's advice and slow them down more if necessary and just keep my MP runs as they are and see how it all shakes out.  Thanks!

I would echo a lot of Zel's comments.

They do say training paces (including GMP) should be based on your current fitness level, as predicted by shorter races. And they give you the equivalent times, but of course as has been widely discussed here, that formula can vary greatly for different people. Onemile's 5k PR is 7 sec faster than mine. But her marathon PR is 17 min faster than mine. She is just way better than me at the longer distance end (although she's said she has no trouble with the intervals, just holding the pace for 5k). You may be something like that. Although something tells me if you have to go any slower than 10k pace you may need to rethink GMP. I'm certainly no expert.

FTR, I did Hansons Advanced, did the intervals at a bit faster than 5k, did the strength at GMP-15/20 rather than GMP-10, did all the GMP workouts, added a ton of extra miles, and still missed my goal by 10 min. So it's all really a crapshoot.

Dave

onemile

I would echo a lot of Zel's comments.

They do say training paces (including GMP) should be based on your current fitness level, as predicted by shorter races. And they give you the equivalent times, but of course as has been widely discussed here, that formula can vary greatly for different people. Onemile's 5k PR is 7 sec faster than mine. But her marathon PR is 17 min faster than mine. She is just way better than me at the longer distance end (although she's said she has no trouble with the intervals, just holding the pace for 5k). You may be something like that. Although something tells me if you have to go any slower than 10k pace you may need to rethink GMP. I'm certainly no expert.

FTR, I did Hansons Advanced, did the intervals at a bit faster than 5k, did the strength at GMP-15/20 rather than GMP-10, did all the GMP workouts, added a ton of extra miles, and still missed my goal by 10 min. So it's all really a crapshoot.

hmmm. Yeah. I have always been able to hit the paces for the Hansons speed work at 5k pace.  And I often ran them a little bit faster than the chart if I could...(like Dave said, faster than I could actually run a 5k).

It seems odd to me that you could hold MP for the workouts but not do the intervals.  I found them equally hard.

Maybe it's your treadmill calibration?  Are you doing the MP runs on the TM or outside?