Beginners and Beyond

Thirsty Thursday Penguins (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Running is ultimately a personal experience. It is a revival of the spirit, a private oasis for the thirsty mind. Yet, its healing power only increases in the presence of others. Run together and the oasis grows cooler and more satisfying." --Amby Burfoot

PADRunner

Damn the humidity is an energy killer! 6 done this morning.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  I am still sick.  It feels like it has gotten to my lungs because now I have a lovely productive cough.  At least my fever is not quite as bad today.  I really want to run =/

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

PAD, let me tell you how thirsty I was in the presence of others at the track last night!  It was a warm one, although we don't have your humidity.

First track workout in months, and it showed- my pace was slow and not very consistent.  Plus I was the only penguin representative there, since I got lapped about 3/4 of the way through by the others.  Still, I'm glad I went and got it done.  I ran a long cool down (after finally getting a drink), and ran with a new runner in my last mile who had just showed up for some easy laps.  I was brave and took the initiative to go over and say hi when our positions finally matched up on the track, especially since there was nobody else there at that point.

Today I have my follow-up with the GI doc.  I'm actually feeling pretty good at the moment.  My stomach cramps have been completely gone for the last 3 weeks, and the poo monster is not showing up as often.  Still probably worse than most, but so much better than it was.  I don't know whether that's the lack of caffeine, or a couple other things I've been trying to limit, or just my luck since my appointment is today (so tomorrow could be terrible).  We will see.  But I'm able to run outside, and with people again, instead of alone and in my garage, so that's something.

PAD- Good job getting the run in early!

sapf- Hopefully that means you're almost done with the crud, right?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

PAD, nice running in the humidity.

{{jill}} feel better soon!

First track workout in months, and it showed- my pace was slow and not very consistent.  Plus I was the only penguin representative there, since I got lapped about 3/4 of the way through by the others.  Still, I'm glad I went and got it done.  I ran a long cool down (after finally getting a drink), and ran with a new runner in my last mile who had just showed up for some easy laps.  I was brave and took the initiative to go over and say hi when our positions finally matched up on the track, especially since there was nobody else there at that point.

This happened to me the one and only time I showed up for a "speed workout" session with a club.  Yes, you were brave!  You gotta summon Penguin Power to keep going when everyone else is so dang fast.

Trying to decide what to do this morning.  It's raining!  And that almost never happens here, endless drought and all that.  I had planned on intervals, but don't want to go for speed on wet pavement.  Maybe a not-too-speedy tempo run instead.  Or stay dry inside with my coffee.  

Zelanie

Thanks!  The group I went to is usually pretty casual and there are a lot of paces, but I'm used to going in the spring when lots of people come off the bench to train for the local HM.  Last night, there were two sub-40 10K guys, a woman I didn't know who was almost as fast, and then one guy who was able to hang pretty close to them until about halfway, when he apparently gave up and went home.  So I wasn't even in the same league as anybody else.  The guys I know from the social run, though, and they are super friendly.  But also way faster than I will ever ever be.

Brilliant- Can you run easy and move the intervals to another day?  I bet it does get extra slippery down there since it doesn't rain often.

hog4life

Jill, sure hope the crud doesn't keep you down long.

Pad, we got the same weather over here to. I'll take an oder of wintervpleas!

Zel, you sure are running strong. We have two different groups that do organized speed work on the tracks. I've been trying to make it over but always seem to be working .

I had a good run this morning despite the heat and humidity. I did a mile WU, then 5 miles at 8:40 ish, then a couple cool down

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Ran 11 on the TM this morning.  Pilates and a run with hubby later.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I couldn't take it anymore.  Did 2.1 miles on the TM in 24 minutes.  I felt surprisingly OK but didn't want to overdo it.  Maybe this evening if I'm feeling okay I'll go for a repeat performance.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Hi pens. Still struggling a little. At home trying to get some work done, sitting on the floor with all 3 nosy cats crowding me. Little Scrambles seems to be breathing heavily, but upon comparing to the healthy control cats it doesn't look *that* different. I can't tell anymore. I don't want to keep her too long and have her be miserable, but it's hard to know when to let go. She was in the hallway yelling for snuggles and snacks last night (which I got up and gave her - I couldn't care less about reinforcing bad behavior at this point). Not sure if today is the day, or if I should at least try the prednisone for ~24h or so to see if that will keep her comfortable for a bit longer - vet didn't call me back until this morning so it's not ready to pick up yet.

Probably going to run later, maybe a track workout if the weather doesn't suck too badly at sundown. I ran 5 yesterday and was miserable the whole time - underfueled, in bright sun, at noon on one of the warmest days we've had so far was maybe not the smartest idea. I had to take a walk break at 4 miles.

on my way to badass

(((((Lauren)))).  Don't worry, you'll make the right decision for your kitty.

3 done withe sun at its zenith.  Not real smart.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Another early run/walk today as heat index around my neck of the woods after work is shooting up to 96 degrees; oh yay for Texas summer!  I'm sure Damaris can relate, her temps are probably going to be even worse than mine.  Even so, I'll still take these temps over anything below 50 degrees...I REALLY hate being any kind of cold!  Ended up this morning with 3.5 miles and felt strong the whole way, even with throwing a couple of hills in.   After work today, pick up my packet for my Saturday morning 5K.    Tomorrow morning, non-run day, and have to get a chest scan in the early a.m. before I go to work.  Apparently, once you are over 60, this is required by my military hospital for all senior citizens as part of the annual physical. I guess they think we old folks are more susceptible to respiratory stuff.....oh well, better safe than sorry, I guess.

Very humid in Texas this morning, PAD.  Except maybe in the Panhandle, I saw on the weather map they were having much lower temps than us.

Hope you feel better soon, sapf!

Good on your track workout, Z.  Hope you get good news from the G.I. doc and don't have to do nasty follow-up things like upper/lower GI testing, colonoscopy, etc...yeah that preparatory stuff for all that tastes sooooo goood.....

Nice running, Mitch!

Come visit Texas - or Damaris in Miami - StoneFence and I bet you will be very happy to get back to your area's zenith sun....

I responded to Lauren and Damaris on the penguin thread, so won't repeat all that here.  Wishing both of you all the best.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3 inside today.  Started raining just as we were ready to run outside.  Of course it stopped when we got to the track.

Hope the followup went well, Zel.

Amazonian Princess

Hola, Penguins, and Hail Hydration

Disgustingly hot and humid here in NorCal. Monday night at the gym swamp was awful but I plugged away for an hour on the TM before I heard that it was especially bad because the a/c was out. Tuesday I worked with the trainer and had to take way more rest breaks, and last night I just said eff this and called it a RD. I'm sleeping like a rotisserie chicken and am just so DONE with this

Anyway, congrats to those who can run outside in weather like this; I'm just gonna need to start getting up early to run before work.

PAD - nice six, especially in the energy suck that is humidity!

sapf - hope you're feeling better soon, glad your TM miles went well!

Zelanie - congrats on giving up caffeine! I did for a brief time (GI issues) but I was able to reintroduce. Hope everything goes well at your follow up!

Brilliant - hope you are able to enjoy the rain and a run today!

h4l - glad you had a good run in heat & humidity

Docket - A double and pilates, nice! Now, could you please take this heat wave back?

(((Lauren))) sorry to hear what you're going through, but I agree that you'll know what to do for your kitty.

Stonefence - I believe in the misery multiplier: 3 mies in high sun is like 10 at any other time 

scotty - I cannot believe you're over 60! Over 60 races in a year, maybe...

Hi, Jerry, congrats on your half-fanaticism!

Another session with the trainer tonight and a run on the TM if she leaves me with anything in the tank. Stay cool!

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No, I don't want it back.  We have it.  Still 95F/74DP right now.

Lauren, hugs.  Like I said in the other thread, you'll know when is the right time.

Zenith sun?  Come down nearer the Equator and you'll think we live in different planets.  Think burning, melting sun.

Damaris