Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: Better known as time-out for adults (Read 35 times)

Attempting to sight-see post marathon = dumbest idea ever 

This is why I don't like to travel to races too much. Hard for me to justify travel just for a stupid race (YMMV). And hard to make a sightseeing trip out of it - don't want to tire myself out walking around the day before, and generally physically unable to do so the day after.

Dave

LRB

(YMMV). 

Key words.

I think there's room for any or all of it. It just depends on the person, goal(s), and/or circumstances.

I personally like to do my business before the race and feel it doesn't affect me any more than working a 40 hour week does. But again, YMMV. 

onemile

This is why I don't like to travel to races too much. Hard for me to justify travel just for a stupid race (YMMV). And hard to make a sightseeing trip out of it - don't want to tire myself out walking around the day before, and generally physically unable to do so the day after.

I felt like I totally missed out on seeing Boston due to the stupid marathon 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Attempting to sight-see post marathon = dumbest idea ever 

I've found sight seeing after a race a great way to recover. Both last year after my DNF at the HURL Elkhorn 50K and this year after Powderface 21K I spent 3 days hiking in the mountains and thought it was a great way to both recover and see the sights.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I felt like I totally missed out on seeing Boston due to the stupid marathon 

Well you saw everything that was along the course, right?

I have been to Boston a few times, so that is the least of my concerns for that particular race.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We drove for 8 hours to sightsee for two weeks after my Berlin marathon.  It's a great way for me not to run, but damn, those 8 hours in the car left me sore.

Damaris

onemile

I've found sight seeing after a race a great way to recover. Both last year after my DNF at the HURL Elkhorn 50K and this year after Powderface 21K I spent 3 days hiking in the mountains and thought it was a great way to both recover and see the sights.

I was so disabled after CIM that I could barely hobble across the street before the WALK sign changed to DON'T WALK.  No way would I have been able to hike in the mountains.

onemile

Well you saw everything that was along the course, right?

I can't even recall.

I can't even recall.

Certainly the #1 must-see attraction for any Boston tourist is the big Citgo sign, so you're all set.

Dave

Zelanie

Certainly the #1 must-see attraction for any Boston tourist is the big Citgo sign, so you're all set.

It would be for me.

delicate flower

<3

It would be for me.

Last time I was in Boston, I went for a run and took a selfie in front of the Boylston Street sign near the finish line. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Dave

Runshortii

Apparently registration is way down. I ran their build up run on Saturday and they said they are only half full.  They used to fill up by March

Yeah I signed up super early because I thought it would fill up quicker. I wonder if a lot of people are doing that newish Milwaukee Marathon over Lakefront. I did the HM the first year and I think the course was slightly short, and there were a lot of hairpin turns I didn't like.

Yeah I signed up super early because I thought it would fill up quicker. I wonder if a lot of people are doing that newish Milwaukee Marathon over Lakefront. I did the HM the first year and I think the course was slightly short, and there were a lot of hairpin turns I didn't like.

You could get lucky and the marathon would be short too. Pretty unusual for a certified marathon to measure short on a Garmin I think. Although it's happened once to me; I had Tacoma at 26.15. That's 0.2%, so I'm gonna say it's within the GPS margin of error.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wish one of my marathons was less than 26.4-26.5.

Damaris