Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: Better known as time-out for adults (Read 35 times)

I wish one of my marathons was less than 26.4-26.5.

Other than that one, mine have all been in the 26.3-26.4 range. And other than the first one where I didn't wear a watch. And Detroit, where I have no idea because I lost signal in the tunnel. OK then.

Dave

onemile

Yeah I signed up super early because I thought it would fill up quicker. I wonder if a lot of people are doing that newish Milwaukee Marathon over Lakefront. I did the HM the first year and I think the course was slightly short, and there were a lot of hairpin turns I didn't like.

Actually, last year it was about a half a mile too long.

http://www.wisn.com/article/someone-really-messed-up-sundays-milwaukee-marathon/8254714

I would never do that one.  This race director has screwed up the race distance more than once and I try to avoid his races

Actually, last year it was about a half a mile too long.

http://www.wisn.com/article/someone-really-messed-up-sundays-milwaukee-marathon/8254714

I would never do that one.  This race director has screwed up the race distance more than once and I try to avoid his races

Oh man I would be pissed.

Although I don't understand this comment: "At the finish, I placed 42nd overall. Unfortunately, I may have finished in the top 10 if the race course was clearly marked and supervised." 

Dave

onemile

Oh man I would be pissed.

Although I don't understand this comment: "At the finish, I placed 42nd overall. Unfortunately, I may have finished in the top 10 if the race course was clearly marked and supervised." 

There was a cone that was kicked over or something at the turn around so some of the front pack went the wrong way. It was righted fairly soon into the race.  However, I read a ton of accounts by runners not affected by that cone who had 26.8-27+ miles on their garmins.

LRB

Other than that one, mine have all been in the 26.3-26.4 range. And other than the first one where I didn't wear a watch. And Detroit, where I have no idea because I lost signal in the tunnel. OK then.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

How long is the tunnel at Detroit? I had issues with the one in Paris and I am afraid of how tunnels might try to kill me but the one in Paris was a mile long or so. After all, it Killed Lady Di. I am running Detroit this year, so stay away because that means it will be hot.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

6 done.

Damaris

LRB

How long is the tunnel at Detroit? I had issues with the one in Paris and I am afraid of how tunnels might try to kill me but the one in Paris was a mile long or so. After all, it Killed Lady Di. I am running Detroit this year, so stay away because that means it will be hot.

It's less than a mile.

If I recall correctly, you have to turn the timeout function off (or auto-pause, I forgot exactly which one it is) on the satellite on your watch in order to get an "accurate" reading. At least for Garmins anyway, it may or may not apply to the TomTom or whichever of the dozen or so doohickeys you own you choose to run with.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Tom Tom picks up the other function whenever the GPS fails or picks it up after I exit a tunnel, so there is no need to switch anything. Anyway, the TomTom does not have that capability.  You have the GPS or Treadmill mode.  If the GPS fails, it reads using the altimeter thingy that it uses for the TM mode, no biggie.

I am more worried about dying from lung failure than the distance, anyway.

Damaris

LRB

The Tom Tom picks up the other function whenever the GPS fails or picks it up after I exit a tunnel, so there is no need to switch anything. Anyway, the TomTom does not have that capability.  You have the GPS or Treadmill mode.  If the GPS fails, it reads using the altimeter thingy that it uses for the TM mode, no biggie.

I am more worried about dying from lung failure than the distance, anyway.

It warms up in there but that's by our standards, you'll be right at home. More than 2/3rds of it is downhill, and your momentum carries you up and out of it, it really isn't a hill.

Didn't know you were running it! According to my log, it was 36 degrees at the start. It was actually a good race, I think you'll enjoy it. Don't forget to grab a beer from one of the home-made aid stations; I did around mile 25 when I had reached DGAF mode.

Tunnel was about a mile. I had a 210 at the time which completely cut out in the tunnel (as well when we ran on the portion of closed freeway, and went under an overpass). LRB I believe ran it with a 410 which kept track of the full distance.

Dave

It warms up in there but that's by our standards, you'll be right at home. More than 2/3rds of it is downhill, and your momentum carries you up and out of it, it really isn't a hill.

If it's hot out, it's cool in the tunnel; if it's cold out, it's warm in the tunnel. We had the latter; it felt really warm and stuffy in there, but I didn't have any breathing problems (YMMV).

Dave

LRB

Didn't know you were running it! According to my log, it was 36 degrees at the start. It was actually a good race, I think you'll enjoy it. Don't forget to grab a beer from one of the home-made aid stations; I did around mile 25 when I had reached DGAF mode.

Tunnel was about a mile. I had a 210 at the time which completely cut out in the tunnel (as well when we ran on the portion of closed freeway, and went under an overpass). LRB I believe ran it with a 410 which kept track of the full distance.

Best. Beer. Ever.

^ period.

LRB

If it's hot out, it's cool in the tunnel; if it's cold out, it's warm in the tunnel. We had the latter; it felt really warm and stuffy in there, but I didn't have any breathing problems (YMMV).

Yeah it was cold outside both times I've run it, so coming out of that shit hole and into the cool breeze was amazing.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Beer is a yes from me.

Plan is to run it with Lori Bertha Slayer.  At my current pace, I might have to let her go ahead, but we'll see.  I have Chicago the weekend before, so I'll be nice and warm up for the fun of it. Wink

And yes, I would love for it to be 36F.  Indy started at 35F and I was still sweating like crazy after a few miles, but it felt really nice.

Damaris