Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 39 times)

LRB

that's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet on Houston. I don't want to eat the $150 entrance fee

That's the quandary with the marathon; save a boatload of dough by registering early, or wait until the last price increase and pay twice the amount (in some cases). Get burned enough and paying the higher cost doesn't seem so bad.

LRB

I just want to make sure I didn’t tear something

Hopefully not, although you never know in this stupid hobby. I think it was February 2017 when mine exploded. I endured excruciating pain in my arch and heel for weeks and months on end before finally getting some minor relief late that summer. And even then I hobbled well into 2018 during the night on my heel. The lack of blood flow while in bed just caused it to freeze up, it was awful.

1.5 mile run/walk tonight.  A little more running than last time.

DavePNW

I jogged a 5k once to meet up at the 3rd mile with a runner who was doing their first 10k. It was weird having people cheer for me. Oops.

Did it look something like this? 

MTA: how many oatmeal raisin cookies did you eat that day?

Dave

DavePNW

Dave - with my hamstring issues, I've seen that fast running almost always makes it worse. If you really want to participate, can you volunteer?

Yep.

I actually volunteered last year when I was injured. I think it just makes me sadder that I can’t run it. But maybe.

Dave

DavePNW

I can count at least 5 marathons I've registered for and DNSed

Wow. I’ve been pretty lucky. I think the only race I’ve registered for and DNS’d was a $10 5k. This one was only $27 which is about as cheap as races usually get around here. Combination of luck and typically waiting to the last minute to register.

MTA: what’s also funny is that I signed up Sunday because that was supposed to be the last day for online registration. The next day, they extended it to Thursday.

Dave

onemile

Wow. I’ve been pretty lucky. I think the only race I’ve registered for and DNS’d was a $10 5k. This one was only $27 which is about as cheap as races usually get around here. Combination of luck and typically waiting to the last minute to register.

Yeah, two of them were just me registering really early and then changing my mind, one due to my dog's injury and surgery,  one due to a running injury and another just because training didn't go as expected, could've jogged it but nah

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

MTA: what’s also funny is that I signed up Sunday because that was supposed to be the last day for online registration. The next day, they extended it to Thursday.

This is one situation where the Old Days helped with more races having race day registration.  With the size of many races now I understand why most no longer have that, but I would think the smaller local races could still do that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

This is one situation where the Old Days helped with more races having race day registration.  With the size of many races now I understand why most no longer have that, but I would think the smaller local races could still do that.

In my experience, almost all races still do, with the exception of some of the larger marathons. It’s just usually more expensive.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In my experience, almost all races still do, with the exception of some of the larger marathons. It’s just usually more expensive.

My last 5K on June 1st, registration closed May 5th.  The norm here seems to be for on-line registration to close on Thursday at midnight for a Sunday race and no race day registration.  The last time I registered race day was a 10K on July 4th 6 years ago and the race day registration caused a 15 minute delay in the start of the race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

MTA: how many oatmeal raisin cookies did you eat that day?

All of them!

You killed that thing.

I did race their inaugural mile that morning, one of two for me that year. I've raced exactly two since.

GinnyinPA

My first two years I registered for but didn't run a total of four races:  3 HMs and a 10k. One I had registered only a week before the race - then got injured 3 days later. I had done early registration for another race 6 weeks later but hadn't healed so it was a DNS. Then there was a New Year's Special where I registered for a September race really cheap, then got injured in July, and a December race that had half price early registration but I still wasn't healed, so I missed that one too. For the next few years, I only ran races I could register for at the last minute. My first marathon I signed up the day before, though I had been training for months. Fortunately the races around here are small enough you can do that. For my later marathons, I just took the risk. For a while I was seeing race insurance offered at registration that would refund your entry if you had to cancel, but I haven't seen that lately. Does it still exist?

RunningOnSand

My first two years I registered for but didn't run a total of four races:  3 HMs and a 10k. One I had registered only a week before the race - then got injured 3 days later. I had done early registration for another race 6 weeks later but hadn't healed so it was a DNS. Then there was a New Year's Special where I registered for a September race really cheap, then got injured in July, and a December race that had half price early registration but I still wasn't healed, so I missed that one too. For the next few years, I only ran races I could register for at the last minute. My first marathon I signed up the day before, though I had been training for months. Fortunately the races around here are small enough you can do that. For my later marathons, I just took the risk. For a while I was seeing race insurance offered at registration that would refund your entry if you had to cancel, but I haven't seen that lately. Does it still exist?

That's an excellent question. I don't think I've seen that recently. They have started offering that for my kids' activities, though (sports activities). I've signed the up for that. To me it seems like a no brainer when it's something like downhill skiing that lasts for several months, and if they get injured or whatever, then at least you're not out that money. And with running related injuries, I could also seeing it being a wise move.

DavePNW

I remember seeing race insurance, but I think not in a while.

Dave

DavePNW

In my experience, you can either willingly take a break post marathon or wait til your body forces you to take one.  Of course, some people seem to be exceptions to this rule.

Dave