Beginners and Beyond

Black Fridailies, aka Thanksgiving Food Hangover Dailies (Read 43 times)

DavePNW

When's your next race and what distance will it be? It's never too soon to think about those things you know. Big grin

Don't worry, I have. Looking at another 5k on 12/20. Figure I might as well keep trying to chip away at that time, I think there's probably more to be had.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

After 8 hours on the other side of the cash register from the customers, I'm not sure I want to move again until tomorrow morning.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Don't worry, I have. Looking at another 5k on 12/20. Figure I might as well keep trying to chip away at that time, I think there's probably more to be had.

And perfect timing to set you up for a New Years Eve race to go out with a bang!

LRB

After 8 hours on the other side of the cash register from the customers, I'm not sure I want to move again until tomorrow morning.

Yeah that's asking a lot. It would be hot cocoa time and a movie if it were me.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There were only 8 marathons in the US in 2012 that had more than 10K finishers.

Ha, but when you have run some with 50K people (overall), 10-15K tends to be small.  The Miami marathon & Half is less than 18K and I've never considered that a mega race.  It's not even crowded while running.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm sorry, LRB.  Hoping you get at least some relief soon.

I'm off to run.  I cannot believe it's only 78F.  Unfortunately, that's the same temps as my marathon this weekend. 

Damaris

Hip Redux

I'm in good hands (actually great hands) as far as rehab goes. I'm on the right path and getting better, I just thought I would be running by now.

The best PT is made only better with more information.   Smile   What's the downside to getting additional diagnostics for you?   Just curious.

Sometimes I wonder if runners fear the worst and so long as they don't get the MRI/x-ray/whatever, they can live in the "it's just  a tweak/muscle imbalance" world for a little longer.    At the three week mark of rest and not 100% though, I'd be banging on people's doors looking for answers.

DavePNW

Ha, but when you have run some with 50K people (overall), 10-15K tends to be small.  The Miami marathon & Half is less than 18K and I've never considered that a mega race.  It's not even crowded while running.

When you talk overall - you mean half + full runners? Detroit was the only one I've run that is even close to big. About 4000 marathon, and another 12,000 half. The only one I've done with corrals. But honestly I don't remember ever feeling too crowded - a lot of people for sure, but nothing keeping me from running the pace I wanted to be at (except my own inability to do so). Although I kind of have fuzzy memories of these kinds of things. Guess it all depends on how well organized it is, and how wide the course is for the first few miles.

Dave

DavePNW

And perfect timing to set you up for a New Years Eve race to go out with a bang!

The one I'm looking at on 12/20 is called "The 12k's of Christmas", ha ha. So it is obviously a 12k and also has a 5k. I guess I just have no interest in running an oddball distance like 12k where the time will mean nothing to me. But I think often at a multi-distance event, the longest distance is the most competitive, so maybe better chance of bling in the shorter one. Note I have no factual basis for saying this.

Dave

onemile

9 miles

StepbyStep-SH

6 miles this morning, then spent the day staying warm and trying to catch up on some work I didn't get done Monday and Tuesday due to appointments.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

When you talk overall - you mean half + full runners? Detroit was the only one I've run that is even close to big. About 4000 marathon, and another 12,000 half. The only one I've done with corrals. But honestly I don't remember ever feeling too crowded - a lot of people for sure, but nothing keeping me from running the pace I wanted to be at (except my own inability to do so). Although I kind of have fuzzy memories of these kinds of things. Guess it all depends on how well organized it is, and how wide the course is for the first few miles.

Yes. I meant both overall. Disney is around 10-15K each and each is on a separate day.

Damaris

LRB

The best PT is made only better with more information.   Smile   What's the downside to getting additional diagnostics for you?   Just curious.

Sometimes I wonder if runners fear the worst and so long as they don't get the MRI/x-ray/whatever, they can live in the "it's just  a tweak/muscle imbalance" world for a little longer.    At the three week mark of rest and not 100% though, I'd be banging on people's doors looking for answers.

Actually nothing has been ruled out. I am going through the process as has always been the case, wherever that leads me is where I'll be, 5 minutes early. I have a great relationship with my sports doc and we discussed all the options (including scans). A plan was laid out designed to not only get me back to running, but to identify root causes and work on strengthening those areas as rest alone is not always the cure for running injuries. I meet with her in two weeks and based on where I am at that time will discuss what the next step should be, if any.

As for a timeline, one was never given. I suppose that's because everyone responds differently to groin injuries, I really don't know. I've been told that I can run so long as it doesn't hurt but I know people who dealt with similar issues for months and one person in particular who has not returned to running healthy after almost two years. I am therefore erring on the side of caution, especially after my experience in Indy three weeks ago.

My disappointment the past two days is mostly self induced because *I* was the one who didn't think it would take this long, no one actually ever said it wouldn't and in fact there is no evidence that suggests I should be healed.

I'm going through a tough period but will fine. As I said this morning I had a really good workout which was encouraging, but no different than anyone that came before me nor anyone that will follow; I would just rather be running FFS. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good thing the run aaid recovery cause I didn't think I could've run faster after my strides.

Damaris

LRB

The one I'm looking at on 12/20 is called "The 12k's of Christmas", ha ha. So it is obviously a 12k and also has a 5k. I guess I just have no interest in running an oddball distance like 12k where the time will mean nothing to me. But I think often at a multi-distance event, the longest distance is the most competitive, so maybe better chance of bling in the shorter one. Note I have no factual basis for saying this.

Oddball distance? LOL

I actually have no interest in distances other than the traditional ones either but never thought of it that way. You crack me the hell up man!