Beginners and Beyond

Marathon MONDAILIES (Read 51 times)

What in the hell is this?!  It's an alien!

Maybe the Martians accidentally left it behind when they visited over the weekend?

Dave

Zelanie

Morning!  RD for me today. Smile  Hope everyone is well!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Fuzzy crossed the starting line!

Damaris

YAYpril - B-Plus

I think today should be considered a national holiday. I am not getting much work done.

B-Plus

Happy marathon Monday! Will I look like a douche if I wear my boston jacket today?

Congrats to the weekend racers!

I might need to take another day off for my toe, we'll see. It doesn't seem that bad though; maybe just a bruise.

outoftheblue

Good morning Dailies!

I got my internet back finally -- I had to change providers and there are still a few bugs being worked out, but at least I can connect again.  It's great to see all of you again.  My data plan on my iPhone wouldn't allow me to even stalk you all.  Now I need to read some race reports and see what's happening at Boston.

Yesterday, I did a really cool race with my 70 YO mother.  It was a family team (parent runs with a son or daughter) challenge, where you had to cross the finish line together and record a single time.  There was a 5k and 10k option.  My Mom wanted to do the 10K and set a goal of breaking 70 minutes.  It was a windy day and there were some not insignificant hills on the course, but we crossed the finish line at 1:08:55, finishing second among the 4 teams who opted for the 10K team challenge (most did the Team 5K challenge or ran as individuals).  I'm so proud of my Mom.  It was really neat to be with her  the whole way with her and see how strong and determined she was, even as she was getting tired.   She ran the whole way and still had enough for a kick in a the end.  In the final couple of miles we passed some people a whole longer younger than her.

She is such an inspiration to me.  I vowed that when I am 70, I am going to try to run a 10K in under 70 minutes as well.

Life is good.

LRB

Yesterday, I did a really cool race with my 70 YO mother.  It was a family team (parent runs with a son or daughter) challenge, where you had to cross the finish line together and record a single time.  There was a 5k and 10k option.  My Mom wanted to do the 10K and set a goal of breaking 70 minutes.  It was a windy day and there were some not insignificant hills on the course, but we crossed the finish line at 1:08:55, finishing second among the 4 teams who opted for the 10K team challenge (most did the Team 5K challenge or ran as individuals).  I'm so proud of my Mom.  It was really neat to be with her  the whole way with her and see how strong and determined she was, even as she was getting tired.   She ran the whole way and still had enough for a kick in a the end.  In the final couple of miles we passed some people a whole longer younger than her.

She is such an inspiration to me.  I vowed that when I am 70, I am going to try to run a 10K in under 70 minutes as well.

Pick a superlative, and that is that!  Wow, you must be over the moon!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy weekend!  I did the Fiesta Fun Run 5K; posted the report; photos did not work for whatever stupid reason; finally got that fixed, so my report is on the first page somewhere and the photos can be seen now, thankfully.  I am a technology IDIOT so when something goes wrong it takes me forever to get it fixed, lol.  I need a SIMPLE picture-putting method for here, lol.  A simple cut-and-paste allowing would be nice!  Oh well.

Sunday I did an a.m. run in a local San Antonio park I had never been to.

When I started out, I noticed a couple of the trees by the lake were full of these birds.  I don't know birds.  Egrets, maybe?  There sure were a lot of them!

race 073

race 071

race 072

Some nice views of the lake and buildings from Our Lady of the Lake University near the lake.

race 067 race 064 race 065 race 066

I guess some would call this “graffiti” but I thought these murals on near the park trail were quite good.

race 070 race 068 race 069

In the past the West Side of San Antonio has had a reputation for crime and being an unsafe area.  On my run this morning, everyone I met along the way was quite friendly and I felt quite comfortable in this park.  This is a very pretty little park, one I will certainly visit again in the future.

Sunday evening Gail had a meeting in Devine, Texas (about 30 miles from San Antonio) so I drove her down there and then went for a run.  I plugged away in the 89 degree 85 percent humidity - gaaak, Damaris' Miami weather! - it was hot!  However, at the end of my run, right across from the city park where I started and finished....

I met these fellows...and took a photo of them with my phone...

Now, how many people can say they got to pat an Emu on the head while out on a run? Big grin

Quite a photo opportunity weekend for me!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.6 for me today.  Still overcast.  Light misty rain when I was finishing up my run this am.  I have Pilates later

Marjorie

Great story! I would have paid money to see the faces on the younger folks as your mom was flying past them!

Dave

Good morning Dailies!

I got my internet back finally -- I had to change providers and there are still a few bugs being worked out, but at least I can connect again.  It's great to see all of you again.  My data plan on my iPhone wouldn't allow me to even stalk you all.  Now I need to read some race reports and see what's happening at Boston.

^^ This is very cool. ^^

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great story, outoftheblue!

Damaris

Rick, you have some serious voom voom with that VDOT upgrade! Great workout today.

AprilRunner, enjoy your post-work run.

Robert, fantastic 4.8.

SIAR, have a relaxing and refreshing recovery run.

Zelanie, enjoy your well-earned RD.

B-Plus, I'm glad that you're feeling better.

outoftheblue, I'm happy that you can share running with your mom so pleasantly. The only time I run with my mom is when she's chasing meSmile

scottydawg, another amazing race. Congratulations!

Marjorie, terrific 10.6.

Luke79

10 miles @ 9:54 avg.  Great run.  For my first LR in a long time, my foot didn't hurt.  Nothing hurt actually.

I've been stretching for the last few weeks very consistently and now I am SOLD.  Do what you want Anton Krupicka, that "no stretching" shit doesn't work for me lol.  For the PF, I am rolling a golf ball under the foot for a few minutes right before the run.  Works great so far.

Have a wonderful day everyone, and huge grats to all the Boston racers.

Luke, I'm happy that you were able to run ten miles pain-free.

Since I wear VFFs to work anyway, I snuck 2.0 VFF miles into my break. 17:39. 8:50 pace. Perfect weather.

I ran three or four blocks parallel to Comm Ave, near BC. I'm delighted that the Boston runners have such beautiful weather for their big day. It's 56F here in the 'hood.