Beginners and Beyond

Now then; WednesDAILIES! (Read 46 times)

LRB

I didn't buy any of the two Boston jackets that were available in 2013 and 2015. Both were too ugly, it's true. But I did buy a black long sleeve shirt and a summer tank, both with the official Boston logo. I wear them all the time, everywhere. I'm a tool.

I thought it was standard operating procedure to buy one regardless of your opinion of it?

DavePNW

I thought it was standard operating procedure to buy one regardless of your opinion of it?

I just Googled, last year's was really purple? Bleah. (Don't get me wrong, I would still buy one if I actually made it there.)

Dave

onemile

I just Googled, last year's was really purple? Bleah. (Don't get me wrong, I would still buy one if I actually made it there.)

Purple with neon orange stripes!

But you know, I figured it was a once in a lifetime thing for me and I have no plans to run it again. I thought I might regret not having one.

Maybe I could wear it running in the dark in the winter, but then it doesn't have thumbholes like all my favorite running jackets.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I have to find wifey a birthday present. It's hard. She doesn't like girly stuff in general: she's not into house decorations, jewelry, and useless 'cute' stuff like my mother and sisters.

All I can think is to get her a newer iPad, but damn those are expensive. She has an iPad 2, and it's lagging. I have a M$ tablet myself (got a huuuuuge deal on a Surface Pro), and probably would go Android instead of paying big coin for Apple. But I would not buy her an Android after she's had an iPad.

I thought of buying her one of those fitness watches, but the not expensive ones are essentially just podometers (or accelerometers) that record movement and upload to a Website. If you want something that reads heartrate, and tracks distance, well, you're pretty much in the running watch category.  I don't want to go cheap, as those devices don't do anything, and I don't want to go to a Garmin 225 or equivalent, because that would be kinda wasted since as I don't think she'd wear it all the time. They're not the prettiest time pieces on the market.

I. don't. know.

I usually just lurk here - but as a nongirly wife, I think my favorite gift my husband has gotten me is a roomba.  (robotic vacuum cleaner) I just pick up the extraneous crap from the floor, hit the button, and then my floors are clean when I get home.  I'd never buy one for myself because it is really expensive, but it has definitely improved my life and is practical.  Don't under any circumstances get her a regular vacuum cleaner though because that's asking for trouble =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

happylily

What's a girly wife anyway? I wear dresses, but I also wear jeans with holes in them. I rarely wear high heels or perfume. I put on some makeup, though  I can go without it. I hate purses and handbags in general. I have one bag, it's black and sporty looking. I rarely go to a hairdresser, which explains why I look like a witch. I've never had a pedicure or manicure in my life and I dislike nail polish. I hate romance novels and most romantic comedies. But I do like an occasional bubble bath. Am I girly, not girly or in between?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I usually just lurk here - but as a nongirly wife, I think my favorite gift my husband has gotten me is a roomba.  (robotic vacuum cleaner) I just pick up the extraneous crap from the floor, hit the button, and then my floors are clean when I get home.  I'd never buy one for myself because it is really expensive, but it has definitely improved my life and is practical.  Don't under any circumstances get her a regular vacuum cleaner though because that's asking for trouble =P

I wouldn't touch that as a gift with a ten foot (3 meters?) pole. lol

I like your perspective though. Smile

happylily

+100! I would hate that gift. Though my sister once gave me a small vacuum cleaner, which I thought was nice. But if my SO gave me that, I'd be offended.

LRB

What's a girly wife anyway? I wear dresses, but I also wear jeans with holes in them. I rarely wear high heels or perfume. I put on some makeup, though  I can go without it. I hate purses and handbags in general. I have one bag, it's black and sporty looking. I rarely go to a hairdresser, which explains why I look like a witch. I've never had a pedicure or manicure in my life and I dislike nail polish. I hate romance novels and most romantic comedies. But I do like an occasional bubble bath. Am I girly, not girly or in between?

None of the above. You're lily dammit, which could be one's best dream or worst nightmare.

I mean that in a good way of course. Big grin

happylily

None of the above. You're lily dammit, which could be one's best dream or worst nightmare.

I mean that in a good way of course. Big grin

hahaha... you guess me well.  (though it's probably more of a bad way than a good way..lol...)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Yeah, I'm not normal =P  I put a very high value on the utility/practicality of gifts.  I think jewelry, for instance, is pretty much a terrible thoughtless gift (also wasteful for the most part).

Other gifts I've enjoyed are books that hubby has picked out that he thinks will be of high interest to me, trips, etc.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Cyberic

Ooooohh, no, I will not touch that either. Too close to the vacuum cleaner.

It's gonna be winter gear. This coming weekend and next week, we're going up north, rented a cabin (although the 'cabin' is probably more luxorious than my house) on a lake side. On the road to and from there, we're gonna go by outlets. We need to go for the kids anyways.

It's not gonna be such a hot gift, but its a bit as onemile said: not necessary (she has clothes) but nice to have, and she loves having many coats and jackets and boots and the like.

I tried ONCE to buy her a shirt by myself. She tried it, didn't like it but didn't tell me as it was a gift, but never wore it. I'm too practical for that. It may take some magic out of the birthday present, but she always likes the clothes I offer her now that she shops for them herself, lol!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I wear very little jewelry. DH got me a diamond & sapphire necklace as an anniversary present, I think it was our 3rd. I never take it off. It's fairly simple but definitely not something I would buy for myself.

Add me to the buy her something she may not buy herself.

Cyberic

I wear very little jewelry. DH got me a diamond & sapphire necklace as an anniversary present, I think it was our 3rd. I never take it off. It's fairly simple but definitely not something I would buy for myself.

Add me to the buy her something she may not buy herself.

I understand your (and sapf's) point, but I would need a good idea, and I don't have one. It's not easy giving ME a present either. If you give me something I would not buy myself, chances are I probably won't find that very useful.

It could be a nice supper at a restaurant though. She'd enjoy that.

LRB

Yeah, I'm not normal =P  I put a very high value on the utility/practicality of gifts.  I think jewelry, for instance, is pretty much a terrible thoughtless gift (also wasteful for the most part).

Other gifts I've enjoyed are books that hubby has picked out that he thinks will be of high interest to me, trips, etc.

Yeah I have pretty much tried it all. The best "gifts" involved me in the kitchen.

I baked a caked for my then girlfriend's 16th birthday (because I couldn't afford anything else lol) and she was on top of the world.

It was the weirdest looking thing ever, but she didn't care. The only thing that mattered was that I made it.

Needless to say I have made good use of the kitchen over the years. Cool

onemile

It's not gonna be such a hot gift, but its a bit as onemile said: not necessary (she has clothes) but nice to have, and she loves having many coats and jackets and boots and the like.

I tried ONCE to buy her a shirt by myself. She tried it, didn't like it but didn't tell me as it was a gift, but never wore it. I'm too practical for that. It may take some magic out of the birthday present, but she always likes the clothes I offer her now that she shops for them herself, lol!

I don't think it's a bad idea. Bf once bought me two expensive north face jackets that I didn't need as a gift.  I like clothes and I like having choices and while I would buy myself one nice down coat and boots, I wouldn't waste money on a second one just to have another color/style.  But I wouldn't mind if my winter closet looked like an REI store.

I do appreciate when he tries to pick out the clothes himself though!  I always say when I don't like it though.  Sometimes they fit and I like them and other times I am like...the thought was great but it's not really my style. And then we go to the store and exchange for something else. I try to keep it within the spirit of what he chose. For example, one jacket he bought for me was a white fleecy northface. It was a size too big and looked like a bathrobe. I exchanged it for a size small in black and I like it.  Maybe I wouldn't have picked it out otherwise but it's nice and I wear it and I like that he tried.