Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies are out of half and half (Read 36 times)

happylily

I will post a not so popular comment here.

We're all runners, right? Even though we can be very different in real life, we have a thing in common, we run. In that aspect, I think we pretty much all go out of our way not to be a nuisance to other runners.

But your dogs are not as smart as you. Twice this week, I've had to stop completely because the dog of a runner, not on a leash, would be right in front of me. First time, the dog wanted to play with me. I like dogs, but I didn't feel like playing at that time. I was concentrated on running at marathon pace, trying to feel relaxed, kind of in a transe. It's a minor annoyance, but it is still an annoyance. Happened again today. This time, the owner called to her dog to get out of the way, and by hearing the owner's voice, it confused the dog and it stopped right there, directly in front of me. I was running at MP again, and didn't feel like coming to a complete stop, and accelerate again. Again, an annoyance.

It's not that I don't like dogs. We've always had dogs when I was a kid. I prefer not to have one as I find the responsability of having one outweighs the benefits, but it's not that I don't like them, or that I'm afraid of dogs.

I just thought that a runner's forum would be a good place to say this to other runners.

Stop running at marathon pace! Jeeze... why can't you run slow like the rest of us? That would fix the problem...

Hey... why do you think I run on a TM? No distraction, no obstacle ever!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Having to stop, especially at MP or faster, is super lame.

My dogs are trained to come in to heel position when I call them. They get a treat when we are past the runner, cyclist, kid, or whatever. And it's a lot less of a hassle then running with then on leash.

happylily

Thought it would be fun to run a 5K a week after my 50K as part of my recovery. No surprises that it was a PW, but I was surprised that I could still run sub-30:00 on a course with rolling hills:  29:28 (9:22, 9:43, 9:31, 52) Finished 94th of 250. No AG awards, top 3 only. Had a lot of fun and the post race ceremony concluded with a dozen nuns dancing to We Are Family.

Congratulations! Great finish time right after a 50K. Pretty good ranking too! I would love to have dancing nuns after a race. It would be like God sending his people to celebrate with me.

happylily

Lol. I've never seen a turtle around here either, wild turtle I mean.

I knew what a sprain was. I heard 'sprained ankle' a couple of times in my life. Maybe it's because I've watched more football and basketball than lily.

9.4 miles for the day, 61 miles for the week, 29.9% at MP or -

Not bad, sir. Not bad at all!

As for the turtles, if we ever had any in Montreal, they've long departed for pet heaven, along with thousands of flat squirrels.

Hi dailies.  Coffee is all good -- black or with cream and/or sugar. My preferred cup, though, is a Tim Hortons large single-single.

Dogs can be fun when their owner starts to chase the dog chasing the runner who has dropped to 5k pace...and the owner faceplants in mud. 

30 min easy pace (yay!), 30 min elliptical.

DavePNW

Dogs should be on a leash. Period.

Dave

LRB

I have had horrible luck with other people's fucking dogs so don't get me started. 

LRB

He is on a mission that's for sure.

Zelanie

Dogs should be on a leash. Period.

In an off-leash dog park? That is where I run.

LRB

I am finally back home and am going to watch the Tigers vs the White Sox. Why? I have no idea as they have lost 8 in a row.

LRB

In an off-leash dog park? That is where I run.

No, we are talking in an on-leash human park.

Cyberic

He is on a mission that's for sure.

I just want to prepare the best I can. Here, on B&B, I read many marathon RRs and from all these stories, one thing stuck (ok, there's marathons are dumb, but I mean other than that) and it is that 26.2 miles is a distance that needs to be respected.  I'm trying to put in an adequate training effort.

LRB

DavePNW

Dave

Cyberic

I have yet to reach your level of training, madam.