Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #140 (Read 29 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

sdWhiskers, that sounds miserable with your shoulder.

Bluerun, no way would I stretch a 1 mile TT to a 5k. I was ready to bail after 1/2 mile when I did a mile on Saturday.

Question for those who have to go into work or not doing things from home, does your workplace have any sort of travel restrictions? Asking because I haven't seen people mentioning it on the race threads and am wondering how common this is. My work has a 2 week self quarantine if you have travelled out of state. So the idea of planning a trip to an out of state race just seems so far off to me. But I guess this isn't common?

I know companies had this before the closures, as a friend of mine was in NY for the NYC Half that never was and she had to quarantine after that. I assume those companies will continue that policy for the time being.

Damaris

6.2 this morning and 3 flat mostly elevated just now means time for a sing alone 😎

Yes, now if six turned out to be nine. I don't mind, I don't mind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZuFq4CfRR8

Half Crazy K 2.0

We got an email saying if we travel we’re supposed to self quarantine for 14 days, and we got an email saying we’re not allowed to take any forms of public transportation. Not sure how long that’ll be in effect though, I honestly doubt all year. I know a lot of employees that would just quit if they still had it in affect and travel for fun was resuming. Even my manager said “well just don’t tell anyone” 

As in to travel to and from work????? I know youve mentioned your in a rural area for running, is your hospital on bus routes? Here a large number of people who work at the city hospitals use public transportation and don't have cars.

sdWhiskers

As in to travel to and from work????? I know youve mentioned your in a rural area for running, is your hospital on bus routes? Here a large number of people who work at the city hospitals use public transportation and don't have cars.

We had the same mandate about no public transportation back in March and pretty sure it is still in effect. CA is mostly car commuting but our Boston site relies on the T. My employer, of course, is not a hospital and has been mostly virtual since March 9.

Someone in a meeting a few days ago asked if we are required to tell my employer about personal travel. It was said "no one should be traveling right now. We're working on the policy once things open up more".

I have zero plans to enter an airport again in 2020.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Now that you mention buses, for the first time, I live where there is no bus service except for school buses. Feels...weird. Now that I've taken it in the last 20 years but just saying, lol.

I am not flying any time soon either.

I assume the Boston office site will have some different requirements since they literally can't drive to work either because parking is expensive or no car.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

sdWhiskers, wow, I'm surprised companies do that--seems like it would impact the low wage employees. In hospitals, there are quite a few.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My grandmother was laid to rest today. Visitation was yesterday and the funeral home (I assume Miami-Dade) had a limit of 10 people inside at once. Thousands called (she was very popular in Miami and PR - popular with famous people too) but doubt many were able to go during this time. I didn't fly, of course.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

sdWhiskers, wow, I'm surprised companies do that--seems like it would impact the low wage employees. In hospitals, there are quite a few.

Well, there aren't too many low wage employees at my company (in US Research division). The people here that take a train do so because of traffic, not because they don't have cars. We're also all getting paid fully through this and no one is required to physically go into work. There are entirely different "rules" for our different locations all over the world.

sdWhiskers

Now that you mention buses, for the first time, I live where there is no bus service except for school buses. Feels...weird. Now that I've taken it in the last 20 years but just saying, lol.

My son is always asking me if we can take the bus...somewhere. Such a novelty in his eyes since they don't have school buses in our school system.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My son is always asking me if we can take the bus...somewhere. Such a novelty in his eyes since they don't have school buses in our school system.

I really haven't seen school buses here either, just parked around schools. But I've never seen them picking kids or anything.

Damaris

Runshortii

I don’t think anyone at our hospital takes public transportation to work, unless you count my co worker who takes Uber when her car breaks down (which was also on the list of prohibited public transport) there is a bus system but hardly anyone in the city uses it and it’s very limited. I can’t think of anyone I know who has ridden it. I think they were more trying to stop people from flying or taking the metra to Chicago on the weekends.

Half Crazy K 2.0

sdWhiskers, are the schools close by? Here I think 1 mile is the cut off for bus/no bus, although the 1 mile has to have sidewalks everywhere. The elementary school is less than 1/2 mile from our house on foot but the kids get bused because there is no sidewalk.

Docket, yea, I'm not a fan of flying and there is no way I want to any time soon. Even if masks are required, I don't trust people to not take a fistul of tylenol or advil to mask a fever.

KCRuns

I ran 3.6 with 12x strides starting a little slower than 5k and worked my way down to faster than 5k.  That was fun.

We think our Chicago office & probably NY will work from home longer than some other cities because almost everybody uses public transportation.  Once we do go back to the office, we do have a mandatory 14 self quarantine if you travel, but you just work from home during that window.

RS, I don't know why anyone there would be taking the Metro into Chicago right now anyway, nothing fun is open.

Half Crazy K 2.0

KC, does Chicago recommend that public transport only be used by essential personnel right now? That's been what Baltimore has asked, no clue if people have adhered to that.

sdWhiskers

sdWhiskers, are the schools close by? Here I think 1 mile is the cut off for bus/no bus, although the 1 mile has to have sidewalks everywhere. The elementary school is less than 1/2 mile from our house on foot but the kids get bused because there is no sidewalk.

San Diego district (2nd largest in CA!) has no buses AFAIK., except for things like field trips. DS's elementary is ~1.2 mi from our house. Everyone has to drive or walk to school (there are sidewalks everywhere). Part of why running in the morning is so treacherous! There are 8 elems, 2 MS and 1 HS within a 6 mile loop from my house. Some surrounding school districts have buses and you pay per kid per day, which is super weird to me.