Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Jam is Live in Effect (Read 17 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

We don't waste time, we're on the mic with a dope rhyme. Smile

My RP was sick yesterday, so I took the opportunity to try out some actual faster-than-5K speedwork, which I haven't done for a year.  I made up a workout on the spot that attempted to add in some speed to a workout that otherwise I knew I could do.

So I ran 6 x 800 at 5K-10K pace, but with the last 200m fast.  At my pace, that gave me just under 6 minutes total below 5K pace, and at the end of an interval, too.  No too bad.  I am not consistent in my pacing, but that will come.  Also, I had to dodge clueless lacrosse players towards the end who were warming up horsing around in lane 1 with their back to the turn. 

Kathleen- Nice job on those intervals!  I think we all feel that way about our "blistering" paces at the track, no matter how fast we are.  But you were pushing yourself, so it was a good workout!  The nice thing about the group at the time that I meet is that there really are all different paces and ages represented.  Even if I don't run the same workout as they do.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  The Summer weather has my lungs all congested (long way from them being decongested, ugh) so I am taking my SRD today.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Hump Day.  March 4th Holidays:

National Grammar Day!  So hug your grammar....

Do Something Day - So go out and do something today!

Discover What Your Name Means Day (always held on the first Wednesday of March)  - My full first name is Prescott..and that means 'from the Priest's cottage".....boy, was someone WAY off in my case, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice hillwork run/walk on the campus yesterday after work.  Cloudy, a bit humid, 52 degrees, ended up with 4.3 miles.   Then this morning, Mr. Weatherman reported that around 4 pm the rain would come pouring in and around 6 pm the temp would start to drop like a rock as a cold front moved in.  So I got on my gear and got my run/walk done this morning instead of waiting after work.  3.3 miles done and felt really great.  Now I can go home after work and relax in comfort as the rain and cold move in tonite.  Tomorrow is supposed to be really bad - from a South Texas perspective anyway - near freezing temp, cold rain, slippery road, etc.  Might be a good day to call in sick....cough, cough, cough....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have quartet rehearsal tonight, only four more before contest!!  And we're getting coached tonight by the director of the other members' chorus, so that'll be interesting too.  She coached us last year and I had to fight to keep from rolling my eyes the whole time.  She's a music education major and she was in her junior year at the time, having been in barbershop a couple of years.  I had 10 years of barbershop under my belt.  But I'm hoping she's learned a ton over the last year and will actually have helpful stuff to say.  There was no wintry mix yesterday, so that's all good, but they're forecasting 3-5 inches of ice and snow for tomorrow.  

Zelanie -- You should've just barreled into the lacrosse players!!  They would've only been in the way once!!

Docket -- sorry about the congestion!!  Hope the SRD is good.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty -- I'll probably take a snow day tomorrow, if they don't close my university.  But since they're predicting 3-5 inches here too, they'll probably close down.  Too funny!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

DD1's birthday was a success.  We all went out to dinner with my parents and opened a few presents at home. We got her some clothes and a pair of running shoes. Not surprisingly, her favorite was something I got for her as a joke. It was a Harry Syles doll! For those of you who don't know, he is in One Direction. Fun stuff.

No run for me today. I did 4 miles easy last night and it was pretty good, though it's a bit tender today. Baby steps.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Going outside to run in a few. I don't remember what it's like to run outside and I think I'm going to be cold D:

On the house front, we have lost the battle with the ice dams and professional help is going to take care of them this week (thanks to insurance - since every single room on the first floor has had water coming in, they'll cover the cost of the ice dam removal). My poor kid now has 5 leaks in her room despite us chipping away at the dam above her window to make a drain for the water to escape. This is definitely the worst winter we've ever had in the Boston area.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jack, I'm glad you had a good run yesterday.

Zel, nice intervals.

Kathleen, I know what you mean about being a blur. It's probably hard to track me at my maximum sprint pace of 9:30. Big grin

Damaris, take advantage of the rest.

HopesMom, hope you have a good rehearsal, don't roll your eyes too much.  

Scotty, nice running, sounds like a good plan to stay warm & dry tonight.

6 miles done for me this morning. As for the rest of the day, I guess I'm meeting with an insurance adjuster at some point. Yesterday afternoon I crashed my car.  The other driver wanted to make an illegal u-turn over a painted median, and to make it even more illegal, she swerved from the right lane to do it.  I was in the left lane.    Thank God neither of us were hurt.  She accepted full responsibility at the scene, kept apologizing, etc. No witnesses stopped so I hope she stuck with her story when she called her insurance.  They are supposed to be calling me with an appointment this morning.  My beautiful car...

Singer who runs a smidge

Brilliant, so sorry to hear about your accident!!  Glad you and the other lady are ok, and hopefully she got some sense knocked into her!

From the Internet.

Ah Brill that sucks! I hate when people drive like idiots. If she tries to pull anything stupid I would think the location of damage on both vehicles would corroborate your story and not hers.

Brilliant

Yes, I showed my hubby the photos of both vehicles, and drew a diagram of where it happened.  We can't really think of another story she could tell that would cause that damage.  She is an elderly lady and asked to use my phone to call AAA for a tow, and she couldn't enter her AAA number even using the ginormous keypad on my phone.  So I wonder if her vision is bad! (of course I could barely enter the number either because I was still shaking at that point!)

From the Internet.

Aw that's kind of sad. I hadn't pictured an old lady being the sort of person to try pulling an abrupt illegal u-turn!

Brilliant

Aw that's kind of sad. I hadn't pictured an old lady being the sort of person to try pulling an abrupt illegal u-turn!

I know!  And she was driving a Mercedes!  Just doesn't seem like the type to pull risky maneuvers.