Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Boxer Boogie 5K and 3K (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2059%20Boxer%20Boogie%205K

BEFORE THE START

My 59th race of 2016 and my 3rd 5K of the Oct 29 - 30 weekend, after having done two on Saturday.  This event supports Alamo Boxer Rescue.  There was also a costume contest, so lots of the doggies and their humans were in costume.  There was a 5K and a 3K.  The event was held at Pickrell Park in Schertz, TX, which is adjacent to San Antonio boundary lines and quite close to Randolph Air Force Base.  A very nice community with wide streets, nice houses and friendly people.  Not far from where I live so I got to sleep in a bit the morning of this one and then arrived around 7:45, with about 45 minutes to go to the 8:30 start time.   Just enough time to get some pre-start photos.

Ready for my 3rd 5K of the weekend

photo 022_zps5ejkoijk.jpg

photo 024_zpsyvybufkn.jpg

photo 025_zps2w98lcet.jpg

photo 026_zpszi6mmw6s.jpg

photo 027_zps3rs6f8ef.jpg

photo 028_zpsjakjruej.jpg

photo 004_zpsdcncwzyz.jpg

photo 005_zps7ggelrhg.jpg

photo 006_zpsnurejj2f.jpg

photo 007_zpshcphpwki.jpg

photo 008_zpsdt68rd6m.jpg

photo 010_zpsous2uyz0.jpg

This lady is actually one of my Vets that takes good medical care of our cats

photo 011_zpst6ig76vz.jpg

photo 012_zpstkfedvhd.jpg

photo 013_zpsjuzanagq.jpg

photo 014_zpsczxalz9l.jpg

Team iaapweb.com, timing, results, course set up

photo 015_zpsz6pdzgcg.jpg

The two-legged participants are wearing the race shirt

photo 016_zps7s3hybg4.jpg

photo 017_zpsyd0dvvn7.jpg

photo 018_zpsmvlzzt7c.jpg

photo 019_zpspggwkjqb.jpg

photo 021_zpssopvveny.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Just a very slight incline near the beginning and then this course was flat, flat, flat - except for some slight road camber - winding around on wide streets through a very nice community.   I was feeling pretty good and managed to finish in 34:04 chip time.  Did not place though, as my age group was a strange one of 40 - 99, lol.  I get it, this is a bit of a smaller event - maybe 100 or so participants, including those doing the 3K - and the race has a budget, and the majority of the funds goes to Boxer Rescue instead of for medals, etc., which is appropriate.  It's all good.  I was  just happy, after 2 other 5Ks, I was feeling good enough to finish under 35 minute, which is where I finished in my Saturday PM 5K.

photo 029_zpsjooaqoq0.jpg

photo 030_zpst55wikx6.jpg

photo 031_zps2s4admdz.jpg

photo 033_zpseswypqr4.jpg

photo 034_zpsa8qy9xk6.jpg

photo 035_zpsxb2rejgd.jpg

photo 036_zpsjldxppuv.jpg

photo 037_zpsvedvrdyb.jpg

photo 038_zpsmezpgc00.jpg

photo 039_zpsdr9fwddj.jpg

photo 040_zpswgmbpqao.jpg

photo 041_zpsxn6i8r8k.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

No beer at this one - hmm, I should have asked if I could have just brought one of my own - but there was a variety of breakfast tacos, which was nice, and I was like Julius Caesar.....et tu...  ...share part of it with a nearby doggie, with the owner's permission.   And, of course, got some photos of the 'happy finishers", volunteers, etc.

This guy did a 16-mile run the day before.  Then he, and his little dog too, did this one in 30 minutes.  The young lady was 1st in her age group.

photo 042_zps7gfyk8jl.jpg

My walking friend Karen, coming into the finish

photo 043_zps0fgi4iv8.jpg

photo 044_zpsukvtrpqe.jpg

Isn't that appropriate....Hilary and Donald all twisted up at each other...

photo 045_zps8graghoi.jpg

photo 046_zps3dnog5sd.jpg

photo 047_zpsiyghwgap.jpg

photo 048_zpspv1jsjwz.jpg

photo 049_zpsowmt6b9r.jpg

photo 050_zpsgqxgbbpr.jpg

Ruh- Roh....

photo 051_zpsm0me1vgw.jpg

photo 052_zps5gulktaq.jpg

Next time you don't want to go run....think about this doggie out there....

photo 053_zps9hauwzhz.jpg

My taco-sharing friend and her human

photo 054_zpspdzfl8ng.jpg

It's Halloween, my friend Karen...let me 'massage' your throat....

photo 055_zpsapek9s9u.jpg

photo 057_zpshmlbwdkb.jpg

Age group winner

photo 058_zpsjvp3pkkg.jpg

Our MC

photo 059_zpsuapswgrg.jpg

photo 060_zpswopq2n4e.jpg

photo 061_zpsfrshsilz.jpg

photo 062_zpsyavqgp9g.jpg

photo 063_zpsrwty3cfq.jpg

With one of the raffle prizes...this big stuffed boxer

photo 065_zpsii72ebzp.jpg

Not only did my friend Jill here win this raffle basket worth $300+ bucks...right after that her bib number was drawn to win two bicycles!  Dang, she got her money's worth at this race, lol.

photo 066_zpsa2c2ek2l.jpg

EPILOGUE

It's been a couple of years since I've done this one, so glad to see it is as good as ever.   Nice area to run in, nice flat course - good course to shoot for a 5K PR for those so inclined - nice post-race goodies, nice race tee shirts, and lots of fun with dogs if you're a dog lover.  Definitely will do this one again in the future.   Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us....sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement,  residents of Schertz, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on another three-fer weekend.  I can see why you couldn't resist it.

Buelligan

That's the coolest race I've ever seen!  I remember dueling with a guy racing with his dog in a 5k.  We were running our asses off and his dog was basically walking kinda fast.