Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday, January 12 (Read 44 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Pondering a very important question: a run with tempo intervals.  Logged as "tempo" or "intervals"? 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

Pondering a very important question: a run with tempo intervals.  Logged as "tempo" or "intervals"? 

I usually choose tempo.  But then, last night's I put under intervals. So I guess I do both.

DavePNW

Is this the Pfitz plan?

Yes indeedy.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I usually choose tempo.  But then, last night's I put under intervals. So I guess I do both.

Well, that doesn't help!

chasing the impossible

LRB

For me, anything at HMP or 10k pace (be it steady state or in intervals) is logged as a tempo run. While anything faster than that is logged as intervals, except "R" pace, which is logged as an "R" pace run. But then there are strides which is listed as an easy run because I do them during an easy run. Had enough of me yet? lol

bluerun

Super B****

For me, anything at HMP or 10k pace (be it steady state or in intervals) is logged as a tempo run. While anything faster than that is logged as intervals, except "R" pace, which is logged as an "R" pace run. But then there are strides which is listed as an easy run because I do them during an easy run. Had enough of me yet? lol

You're giving me a headache.

But I've decided that tempo intervals qualify as an interval run... because (to me) a tempo run is a continuous effort, and an interval run has rest periods, regardless of your pace during the faster portions.

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

I choose tempo, because for me, intervals by default means ~5k pace. Unless they are Hansons "strength" intervals at MP-10, for which I created a separate workout category.

Dave

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Treadmill action. 5.2 miles

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

DavePNW

You're giving me a headache.

But I've decided that tempo intervals qualify as an interval run... because (to me) a tempo run is a continuous effort, and an interval run has rest periods, regardless of your pace during the faster portions.

Technically I think tempo is a pace, so you can do them as a continuous effort or in interval form. So IMHO, it really is either/both.

If you plan to do a lot of them, you might just create a separate workout type.

Dave

onemile

Technically I think tempo is a pace, so you can do them as a continuous effort or in interval form. So IMHO, it really is either/both.

But do you actually do anything with this data?  I mean, do you run reports etc? Because if I am going back to compare with a previous workout, it is much easier to look at the notes to see that I did 1k intervals with 90 second recoveries than to search on tempo runs or search on intervals.  I really just pick a run type so my log looks colorful.

onemile

And tempo pace can be anywhere from 8k pace to marathon pace depending on how you define it, how long you are spending at that pace, and what coach you are using, right?

DavePNW

But do you actually do anything with this data?  I mean, do you run reports etc? Because if I am going back to compare with a previous workout, it is much easier to look at the notes to see that I did 1k intervals with 90 second recoveries than to search on tempo runs or search on intervals.  I really just pick a run type so my log looks colorful.

Mainly this, originally to make LRB happy.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Exactly.  So a continuous effort at tempo pace is a tempo run, but intervals at that pace would be part of an interval run.

I have no idea what I'm planning to do... since I'm following the "Whatever the Hell I Feel Like" plan this year.

chasing the impossible

LRB

Right, tempo IS a pace, and two different ones at that (depending on which plan you're following). But it's also a type of run, again, depending on whom you are following. So just to confuse the hell out of everyone, you could have a steady state run that is not a tempo run, because it was not at tempo pace, or an interval run at tempo pace which technically IS a tempo run since, well, you are running, or none of the above depending on how you set-up your log.  

DavePNW

And tempo pace can be anywhere from 8k pace to marathon pace depending on how you define it, how long you are spending at that pace, and what coach you are using, right?

Yes. But for a given coach/plan, I do think tempo refers to a specific pace, right? I am a noob so that's just my understanding.

Anyhoo, I just want the description to be specific enough for me so I can go back & see what kind of paces I ran for previous workouts with similar intent. I then put specific distances in the notes, i.e. 6x800 or 8 MP.

Dave