Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday, January 12 (Read 44 times)

LRB

And tempo pace can be anywhere from 8k pace to marathon pace depending on how you define it, how long you are spending at that pace, and what coach you are using, right?

Correct. You are doing a good job of keeping up. Smile

bluerun

Super B****

Right, tempo IS a pace, and two different ones at that (depending on which plan you're following). But it's also a type of run, again, depending on whom you are following. So just to confuse the hell out of everyone, you could have a steady state run that is not a tempo run, because it was not at tempo pace, or an interval run at tempo pace which technically IS a tempo run since, well, you are running, or none of the above depending on how you set-up your log.  

Per McMillan, "steady state" pace and "tempo" pace are not the same thing.  So that part isn't confusing at all.  But you lost me after that. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

Yes. But for a given coach/plan, I do think tempo refers to a specific pace, right? I am a noob so that's just my understanding.

Anyhoo, I just want the description to be specific enough for me so I can go back & see what kind of paces I ran for previous workouts with similar intent. I then put specific distances in the notes, i.e. 6x800 or 8 MP.

No, not necessarily. It depends on the length of the tempo. If I am doing a 3 mile tempo it would be at a different pace than a 6 mile tempo.

And if you switch up plans, then tempo for one cycle might be different than tempo for a cycle using a different plan/coach.

DavePNW

Right, tempo IS a pace, and two different ones at that (depending on which plan you're following). But it's also a type of run, again, depending on whom you are following. So just to confuse the hell out of everyone, you could have a steady state run that is not a tempo run, because it was not at tempo pace, or an interval run at tempo pace which technically IS a tempo run since, well, you are running, or none of the above depending on how you set-up your log.  

Well I never classified Hansons tempo as a tempo run, I just called it "w/MP miles". Because I never bought into calling MP pace "tempo".

BTW, the word tempo now looks funny to me having written it so many times.

Dave

LRB

But you lost me after that. 

AKA winning. Big grin

onemile

How would you log cruise intervals?

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I now subscribe to the "just run" mentality.

This thread hurts my brain.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

LRB

Well I never classified Hansons as tempo as a tempo run, I just called it "w/MP miles". Because I never bought into calling MP pace "tempo".

BTW, the word tempo now looks funny to me having written it so many times.

If I understand it correctly, a MP run IS a tempo run when following the Hansons.

DavePNW

No, not necessarily. It depends on the length of the tempo. If I am doing a 3 mile tempo it would be at a different pace than a 6 mile tempo.

And if you switch up plans, then tempo for one cycle might be different than tempo for a cycle using a different plan/coach.

The second sentence was my point regarding "for a given coach/plan".

But if the first sentence is correct, then I don't know what I'm talking about. If it is not correct, I still don't know what I'm talking about.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

If I understand it correctly, a MP run IS a tempo run when following the Hansons.

Yes. I just did not log it as such. I went for a long time without logging anything as a tempo run, as what I generally consider tempo pace (something between 10k & HM pace) is not used in Hansons.

Dave

DavePNW

If I did them, as cruise intervals.

Dave

onemile

There is a chart in the Daniel's book where it shows the corresponding pace to distance for tempo runs. Once it reaches a certain length, it does intersect with MP right? Hansons is based on Daniels.

LRB

As a tempo run. For the sole fact that these are usually at 5 minute intervals (for me), which is usually HMP or 10k pace where you are in fact, "cruising".

bluerun

Super B****

I'm starting to regret asking this question.

chasing the impossible