Beginners and Beyond

Week 49 Penguins wish you a Happy Hanukkah!! (12/02-12/08) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

And with this I discover I haven't flipped my calendar from November to December yet.  This is my last week without a technician, thankfully.  Meera starts work next Monday.  I should get her mostly trained just in time for Christmas break!  It's all good.  I'm just hoping things will settle down in the lab a little once there are two of us.

Yoga, done, biking, done.  DH got my car fixed on Friday for something like $50 (dealership quoted $300), so that's all kinds of good.  And over the weekend, I made fudge, snowball cookies, and sugar cookies that will get decorated tonight.  'Tis the season!!  Fortunately most of these will go down to my folks' for Christmas goodies.

I had weird dreams last night involving my favorite phobia, bugs.  Lots and lots of bugs.  So today I am sleepy and still kinda wigged out. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 7 miles tonight.  Didn't sleep much last night but the cats are happy since they received the TLC they requested and for which they woke me up, grrr.

HopesMom, yay for having a technician soon.  Glad your husband was able to fix it.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - I don't do Christmas baking because I would eat it all. I'm glad you got your car fixed so cheaply. We got lucky with the car battery. Advance said it would cost $199. I went online to see other prices and the Ford dealer had a coupon so it cost half that. Nice. Walmart had cheaper batteries, but not in our size.

D - sorry the cats woke you up again. Ben does that early in the morning sometimes, but lucky for me, Jim is a light sleeper so he is more likely to get up. Sometimes he just shuts all the doors and leaves Ben in the hall so we can both sleep.

RD for me, which is good since my 16 miles yesterday were had on the glutes and hamstrings.

Singer who runs a smidge

Chewie usually decides he must have a snack around 1-2 AM.  I keep a plastic bag or two on the floor, so that he can trample on them to make noise and get DH up.  Otherwise it's claws in the bedpost, and I am NOT having that!!  If we just throw the cats out when we go to bed, Chewie yowls and then bangs on the doorknob.  Or starts a fight with Maggie.  Clearly food is very important to this 28 lb cat!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awww.

I actually woke up first because I was choking. Or I had a coughing attack and woke up thinking I was coughing.  In any event, the cats took it as a sign to ask for TLC the rest of the night.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Dusty and the cats are objecting to winter by demanding couch time.  With a human and a blanket.  Occasionally you can get the pet "hat trick", where all three are sitting on you.  DH complains that it's hard to get any work done that way ... he's totally lying.  It's just an excuse to watch TV for a while.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yoga and biking both done, plus an early appointment for a blood draw for an annual checkup.  I have really lousy veins, so now I have three needle holes in my arms.  I figure three is actually pretty good!  I thought it might be chilly to bike today (low 40's), but it felt ok.  Will probably be colder on the way out, and I'll wonder why I'm perpetuating this insanity ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  Had a busy morning, also exacerbated by our Wednesday closure of the government, so I am trying to finish as much as I can so tomorrow I don't have to turn my laptop on.  Anyway, 7 miles tonight.

My TM died last night mid workout.  Part should be here Thursday.

HopesMom, I have tiny veins and it takes a good vampire to draw the blood out. Good luck with the tests.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - at least it should be warmer on your way home. Good luck with the doctor's appt.

D - I hope the part arrives soon so you can get your TM fixed.

Hard 8 miler today. I've been having sleep issues lately and it makes the running a lot harder.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny, sorry you've been sleeping poorly!!  DH has been waking up at night and having trouble going back to sleep.  I feel bad for him, especially when with my CPAP I'm dead to the world until morning.  I've been accused of sleeping smugly.

Docket, enjoy your down day!  I'm guessing this is due to the national day of mourning?  Sad reason, but have a nice day off!

I had bike chain issues last night, but they were solved with the help of a total stranger and an acquaintance.  Between the three of us, we discovered one of the cords on my lunch bag was dangling down and messing things up.  So due to random acts of kindness, I was back on the road in about 10 minutes, woo-hoo!!

DH adjusted my front brakes this morning, and now I have no grab at all in front.  Sheesh.

Still, biking and yoga done.  Just have to remember that my braking power is halved, so my braking distance should double.  At least until I can get home and thump DH with his screwdriver.

Minor snow flurries this morning, not even enough to be pretty.  They're calling for five inches on Sunday, though.  Ironic, since my new hire starts on Monday ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  10 miles tonight.

HopesMom, yeah, due to Bush.  Ugh at the breaks.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Suddenly it's snowing up a storm out there.  I bet my little trike is shivering!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, the snow quit well before I had to bike out to my car, but it was a chilly trip.  Still good, though.  No biking or yoga today, though I did creep downstairs and decorate the 15 or so cookies that didn't make it to the freezer.  And then had to eat one for breakfast, because how else would you know if the icing was setting?

Two meetings and a seminar today, plus somehow I have to get a million lab things done.  New tech starts Monday!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning. Woke up with a headache and got ready to drive to Broward for court but it got canceled right after I finished my makeup 🤦‍♀️.

Pilates and 6-7 miles tonight

Damaris