Beginners and Beyond

2015: Day 3. The Dailies (Read 45 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Do you know Wayne Gretzky? Sorry to say this, lily, but I think he's a bigger hero than Terry Fox Big grin

Who the heck is Wayen Gretzky?  Doesn't he play cricket for England or something? 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thank you! Now you heard Marjorie... In the corner all three of you!

Seriously, we have few heroes in Canada. We are not hero oriented around here.  But Terry Fox is considered by far the biggest, most beloved of all our Canadian heroes.

But but but....but, Lily, YOU are one of MY heroes in Canada!   

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Cyberic

Ha, the name is vaguely familiar. I certainly know the Canadians in major US team sports. And sorry I consider the NHL a US sport, considering where most of the teams are located.

I imagine Neil Young is up there on the hero list as well, right?

Yeah, well you provide the quantity, we provide the quality.

Neil who? Does he have a job similar to Celine Dion's?

happylily

Wayne Gretzky? What the hell? The man lives in California and he married an American starlet.  We might as well put Celine on that list of heroes while we're at it...  Btw, did you know that Tommy Douglas is #3 on that list? Do you know who he is? :-) No, not an athlete.  And Gretzky is #9 ahead of Romeo Dallaire. Simply revolting (not a big sports fan, sorry ).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

Wayne Gretzky? What the hell? The man lives in California and he married an American starlet.  We might as well put Celine on that list of heroes while we're at it...  Btw, did you know that Tommy Douglas is #3 on that list? Do you know who he is? :-) No, not an athlete.  And Gretzky is #9 ahead of Romeo Dallaire. Simply revolting (not a big sports fan, sorry ).

Then what about Pamela Anderson? I'm sure our American friends have heard of her and she's not into sports. At a certain age, she might have qualified as my hero.

DavePNW

Is there an official list somewhere?

And I have no idea who Tommy Douglas or Romeo Dallaire are.

Dave

happylily

Then what about Pamela Anderson? I'm sure our American friends have heard of her and she's not into sports. At a certain age, she might have qualified as my hero.

DO NOT MAKE ME ANGRY. There is nothing wrong with her age... Aside from that, meh... she's not my type.

Baboon

delicate flower

Fly by...

So much fun skiing on my new skis today.  SO.MUCH.FUN.  I felt like a completely different skier.  This could be trouble....

<3

happylily

Fly by...

So much fun skiing on my new skis today.  SO.MUCH.FUN.  I felt like a completely different skier.  This could be trouble....

Be careful out there. We don't want a repeat of your little stunt on skis... But enjoy the fun. It does sound great. Take pics!

on my way to badass

'Boon- What did you get for skis? I need new and am out of the loop now. I might switch to Tele.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Baboon

delicate flower

'Boon- What did you get for skis? I need new and am out of the loop now. I might switch to Tele.

I got Rossignol Soul 7's.  Much wider and lighter than my old skis.  They are also a rocker ski.

<3

LRB

I am at a bar & grill (Vivio's) eating pizza at the bar and drinking wine, while the rest of the real men () sitting at the bar are drinking beer.

Oh, the things they must be thinking in their heads.

happylily

But but but....but, Lily, YOU are one of MY heroes in Canada!   

Awww... But.but but... do you really mean it?

happylily

Is there an official list somewhere?

And I have no idea who Tommy Douglas or Romeo Dallaire are.

Yes, there is. But Anderson Cooper didn't make that one.

Tommy Douglas is the father of universal healthcare in Canada. He's also the grandfather of Keifer Sutherland (no, not a Canadian hero). Romeo Dallaire was a Canadian general who was in Rwanda at the time of the genocide. He did his very best to alert the rest of the world about what was going on, but no one listened. He saved many people there, against direct order to intervene. They made a couple movies about his story. Hotel Rwanda is one of them.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

8 done.  Hottest day in weeks.  Hoping we don't break another hot record like last month.

Damaris