Beginners and Beyond

Into the Freezer ThrusDAILIES (Read 37 times)

Good Morning Runners!

We are getting hammered with some serious cold temps here in the NE. It was about 10F when I headed out the door at 5am. The wind picked up about half way through my run which I'm sure dropped windchill temps into negative numbers. It was pretty miserable. Tried out my new balaclava which is really needed in this weather. Kept my face and neck warm at least. 8mi 8:48avg easy. Hilly 10er on tap tomorrow with my training partner.

My GoMeb Razors are supposed to be in today...cant wait to try these things out.

Have a great day everyone

Runshorti- Don't sweat all the food. Its the off season. Its ok to fall off the wagon and I believe even healthy to get a mental break from strict eating and training. I ate so many cookies I got sick of em and now won't touch them.

Tights/Pants- Think sweats over tights are a good idea? I literally froze my bird this morning...as it thawed out I was in tears it hurt so bad lol. I wore some Asics tights but that was it.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Jay, how is that even a question? I'm going to head out in -37 windchill in a bit. You think I'd trust a thin tight layer of spandex to protect my junk? Wear whatever is needed. Two, three layers. Do wear your pants above your tights. You could also go with windblocking underwear, or windblocking and insulated shorts to wear over your tights.

I'll be wearing pretty much everything I own at once today. Not a day for intervals, lol.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

When it's this cold, I go with 3 layers to protect the junk.  As Cyberic noted, tight sport undies underneath running tights and running pants does the trick.

Yesterday, I only had light running gloves.  Thankfully, I had two pair and was able to put both of them on.  It won't be too long before....

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

delicate flower

Yep, it's cold!  Normally I'd run outside anyway, but today will be the treadmill again as I work my way back from injury.  I'm not going to mess around with sore body parts in negative temps.

Masters swim done before work.  2400 yards.  The pool was empty.

Tights/Pants- Think sweats over tights are a good idea? I literally froze my bird this morning...as it thawed out I was in tears it hurt so bad lol. I wore some Asics tights but that was it.

I have thermal pants (Brooks Utopia) that keep me warm no matter how cold it gets.  I've worn them in temps as low as -20 and stay plenty warm.  I wear compression shorts under them (2XU).  I don't wear the pants if the temps get above 25 because then I get too warm.  On those days I just wear tights.

<3

oldfartrunner

Morning Runners,

8 on tap later. Smile

Jay: You sound like that thread,  "Dick hurt in cold morning".  Stay safe out there!

Sooo, a question about auto lap...again.  I woke up thinking about this.  If I run intervals and use the lap button, it will record those intervals and automatically record my mile splits too and show this? If I turn off auto lap, I won't get the average for each mile. Correct?  So if I ran 8 miles today without auto lap on it will only show 8 miles and an average pace for the whole run?

bluerun

Super B****

OFR, I was just going to refer everyone to that thread!

8 AlterG miles (8x400, I guess).  They felt fine but NOW my knee hurts.  I prefer to blame the cold.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

Sooo, a question about auto lap...again.  I woke up thinking about this.  If I run intervals and use the lap button, it will record those intervals and automatically record my mile splits too and show this? If I turn off auto lap, I won't get the average for each mile. Correct?  So if I ran 8 miles today without auto lap on it will only show 8 miles and an average pace for the whole run?

Manual lap will show your avg pace for whatever intervals you hit the button.  If you don't hit the lap button at all, you won't get any splits.  Now, if you use Strava, they will show your splits per mile, and show your splits per lap for whenever you hit the button.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Can someone send me some cold weather? It's not too bad here but the 70 dewpoints can suck the life out of you.

Anyway, I am going to move my 5 to tomorrow because my legs are exhausted.  Pilates and weights for me.

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Morning!  Can someone send me some cold weather? It's not too bad here but the 70 dewpoints can suck the life out of you.

Anyway, I am going to move my 5 to tomorrow because my legs are exhausted.  Pilates and weights for me.

If I had a way to send you the 12 degree temps I returned to after visiting my DD in Florida and getting her or your temps in return I'd do it. She being a bit north of you it was a welcome relief running in 60 degrees or so.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If I had a way to send you the 12 degree temps I returned to after visiting my DD in Florida and getting her or your temps in return I'd do it. She being a bit north of you it was a welcome relief running in 60 degrees or so.

Yeah, anything Orlando or above get way better temps here.  It's 10F cooler in Orlando right now. Not that it will help for my marathon next week as it appears the high will be in the 70s.

Damaris

onemile

Have I mentioned I just got the most wonderful tights that are good in 5 degrees, feels like -11 without anything else on bottom?   I have been washing them every night so I can wear them every single day this week. (I already ordered a second pair)

link

But I don't have a "bird" to freeze.  

LRB

Morning Runners,

8 on tap later. Smile

Jay: You sound like that thread,  "Dick hurt in cold morning".  Stay safe out there!

Generally speaking, you want the time of the intervals and recoveries separated, not of the intervals and recoveries added up to total a mile. If you're using auto-lap, each time you hit lap button the distance resets itself anyway. So if you ran 3.25 miles then hit lap button, the auto-lap mile split wouldn't register again until 4.25 miles. If you were running 8 x 400s with 400 recoveries, the splits won't add up 2 intervals and 2 recoveries plus 7 steps and give you that info for a mile (although according to Boon, Strava will), nor would you want it to. Unless you do, in which case you would need an account on Strava, apparently, which I have, but I haven't been there in forever because everything I need is here and/or on Garmin Connect.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Onemile, how's the length on those tights? I'm 5'6", some tights are too short, I'd prefer not to freeze my ankles.

onemile

Onemile, how's the length on those tights? I'm 5'6", some tights are too short, I'd prefer not to freeze my ankles.

I am also 5'6" and I bought the tall size and they are actually a little too long (they scrunch up a little) but I like them that way. I don't like my ankles exposed either.

OFR-I gotta find that thread  so funny

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???