Beginners and Beyond

Which course do you think would be more difficult? (Read 81 times)

http://theblogbyjavier.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/profile.png

or

http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Screen-Shot-2013-12-17-at-10.57.38-AM.png

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Since I am an expert at hilly courses, not, my non-expert opinion says the second one just because I can see that tiring you more than one straight uphill followed by the downhill.

Damaris

Thanks, Damaris. The second profile is of the Jerusalem Marathon the first is of the Athens Classic Marathon, which I'm really tempted to do this year.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The comparison would be easier if the vertical gain unit was the same on both. It looks like the hills on the second are only about 75-100m high vs the 200m of the first, but the first spreads out that gain over about 12 km so it's fairly gradual. Based on that I think the second would be the tougher course.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Just B.S.

Since I have done  mostly all my running and races on hilly to ridiculously hilly courses I actually

feel qualified to give advice for once Smile

Second profile.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Second looks to have more total elevation change, plus steeper slopes.

(had to do some mental calculations with the feet/meters)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

bluerun

Super B****

The second.  Only because I know Jerusalem hills chew up legs and spit them out.

Seriously though -- the hills there look much steeper, and there seem to be many more of them.  The first one only seems to have one real rise, and it's fairly moderate.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Well, that settles it. I'll register for Athens after I finish Jerusalem!

Both look challenging for different reasons.  The constant, fairly steep up and down of Jerusalem would hinder getting into a pace groove, but that long, steady climb at Athens could be a soul crusher, especially the placement.  Any blowup on that thing makes the final descent immaterial.

LRB

I would not touch Jerusalem with a 10 foot pole!  lol

Now the rise at Athens on the other hand, occurs over a six mile spread.  It would take effort for sure but does not appear to be the ball buster of Jerusalem.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

On an historical note, the Boston Marathon course was initially designed to reflect as close as possible the original 1896 Olympic Marathon course, which I believe is close to what the Classic Athens Marathon course follows.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

The constant up and down of Jerusalem might keep you from getting into a groove. Where we have rolling hills like that, we will call them "meat grinders".

Athens looks like it's mostly gentle uphill in the long climb.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog