Beginners and Beyond

BQ'd my first marathon :) (Read 129 times)

Pure Awesomeness!

RSX

Congrats that is such a great story.

Philliefan33

Way to go!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Oski! It's no fun if you don't aim high, right?

Thanks Hilary! Right now I'm saying I won't be there, just due to money, but if I can make it happen, I'd love to be there! We'll see what happens as registration gets closer. Smile

Thanks LRB! I talked with him later and he said he started struggling at mile 16, so tried to hang on as long as he could, definitely not gonna hold it against him. He did a great job keeping us distracted and on pace. I'm very interested to see how far I can go with more focus and time.

Thanks irishguy!

Thanks jjs! When I pulled away at mile 22, I had a few people in the group yell that I was sandbagging and it couldn't be my first marathon. lol Yeah, I guess that's the problem with setting the bar high, nothing but BQs until age catches up with me. Smile

Thanks for the info Mike, that's not too bad, if demand drops a bit, I might be able to squeek in for next year. I'm going to see if there's a way I can make it happen, if not then I'll plan it for '16, but I'll definitely get up there eventually!

Thanks Lauren!

Thanks Ginny! It's crazy to think that two years ago I couldn't even run a half mile, never know until you try, right? Smile

Thanks Dave! The Klompus Klub, I like it! It definitely took more focus without the pacer, that's for sure. It was nice to not have to look at my watch at all and just run for the first 20 miles.

Thanks lily, just trying to follow your example! Smile

Thanks StepbyStep, Shamrock just seems to be my race. The half last year and now the marathon this year are my two best executed races so far.

Thanks Mitch!

Thanks B-Plus!

Thanks Jay!

Thanks George! I was looking at that in a thread the other day talking about percentage of people who BQ, which is something like 8-9%, who knows how many do it on their first shot. Then throw in that less than 1% of the American population has run a marathon, makes it a pretty small club, that I'm very happy to be a part of. Smile

Thanks Brad! It's been great helping others and watching everyone grow together, part of why I like this group so much! Looking at the splits from the race info (below), it looks like we were either right on pace, or just a hair behind maybe at the 20 mile mark. I figured that's where we were due to the wind and if I could pick it up a lil I'd be able to sneak under. I was still getting my active pace on my Garmin, and I was running around 7:10 those last four miles. Here are the splits from the race info:

Interval      Time of Day    Chip Time     Chip Pace        
          Start           8:30:10AM
          7 Mile         9:22:35AM       00:52:26        07:30 min/mi   
          13.1 Mile   10:07:43AM     01:37:34        07:27 min/mi   
          18.1 Mile   10:44:25AM     02:14:16        07:26 min/mi   
          Finish        11:44:17AM     03:14:07        07:25 min/mi  

Thanks again Damaris! Smile

Thanks Fuzzy!

Thanks Bin! Me too, this next year should be interesting with more focus and dedicated speed work.

Thanks Mel! It can be tough when your training gets messed up, messes with your mind more than anything I think, even if you know your body is still capable. I think those last few strong long runs really helped put me in the right spot mentally going into the race.

Thanks Traci! Smile

Thanks Kiwi!

Thanks Makk!

Thanks RSX!

Thanks PF!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

SWAG Smile  Last year they had a fleece blanket, this year it was a beach towel.  The hat says 26.2 Finisher on the back (the half got a gray hat and short sleeve vs. the full's long sleeve).  The medal is huge and has a bottle opener built in to the part where the ribbon goes through. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Just incredible Dave. Anyone can easily see the talent in you. Going from overweight to a BQ marathoner in such a short time, it's just awesome. Congrats!

- Andrew

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job man! And congrats on the BQ!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Pinktastic

I've been looking forward to this report for a while, and you really delievered!  Congrats on hitting this one outta the park!

What's next on the horizon now that you've BQ'd?

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

outoftheblue

What a fantastic debut!   You clearly had a very good sense of what you were capable of doing, and paced yourself perfectly (and kudos to your pacer who did his job so well for 20 miles and then had the integrity to bail).  Those splits are just fantastic and you clearly had enough in the tank for a strong finish.   It must feel incredible to have executed so well on race day.  How do you feel today?

Life is good.

Ric-G

fantastic stuff and excellent pacing!....great job dealing with the wind and hanging tough....sounds like your training and prep were spot on...enjoy the recovery!

marathon pr - 3:16

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Good stuff Dave, you put in the consistent training, mixed in enough races to up the speed, maintained volume.  Textbook on how one should progress.  Lets hope that in a couple years time you might go sub-3:00.  Ya never know????

RabbitChaser

Awesome! Congratulations on running a smart race and finishing under your BQ time. I agree with you, you seem to have a knack for this running thing!

Thanks for sharing the RR.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks OBrrrrrrien! Sometimes it just kinda hits me, like wow, I'm actually doing this. lol

Thanks Andrea! Smile

Thanks Pink! I have a 5k next month that I'm looking to PR, then some fun races over the summer and a goal half in October. Hoping for a good year, looks like it's off to a good start so far.

Thanks OOTB! It really does feel good to have a great race like that. I feel surprisingly good today, but quick recovery has been one of my strengths. I've been rolling and went for a 45min walk today. I'll do some super easy miles the rest of the week.

Thanks Ric!

Thanks four! Sub-3 is the next goal, just have to see how long it takes to get there. Smile

Thanks Rabbit!

-Dave

My running blog

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, Dave!  BQ on the first marathon, very impressive!  Way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Nice job!

I concur with the others, you were sandbagging, showoff.