Beginners and Beyond

RR - Snohomish River Run - Half Marathon - 10/11/15 (Read 53 times)

Summary:

1:39:51, a PR by 0.7 seconds. Really.

Background:

• Marathon 4 weeks ago. Awesome training cycle, but got sick race week, and it was a total suckfest. And I trashed my legs but good.
    • Post marathon, plagued by various aches & pains. Week 1: 1 mile before aborting due to shin pain. Week 2: 1 mile through Wed (same issue), then started feeling a bit better and ended up with 30 for the week. Week 3-4: more or less back in the groove, other than shin and/or knee pain at the start of the run which takes a mile or two to go away. Mid-40's mpw.
    • Nothing but easy running, with the exception of Wed this week, running some 400's at tempo-ish pace.

Goal:

For reference,

• McMillan prediction based on 5k = 1:36:18. LOL.
    • McMillan based on 10k = 1:37:50. Sounds more reasonable.
    • PR = 1:39:51.7 in Sept 2014, the last HM I ran. And yes they posted times in tenths of seconds.

No idea what I'd have today. Go the so-called "marathon fitness" built up, supposedly. And feeling mostly recovered, but not feeling much speed. It's been so long since doing any serious workouts.

• A Goal = 1:38, B Goal = PR.

Pre-race:

• Actually slept reasonably well last night. I was not putting much pressure on myself, pretty limited expectations - it'll be whatever it is. (Not that it matters, I usually sleep like crap under any circumstances.)
    • Felt pretty good this morning other than some allergy stuff going on. But that usually clears up, and it did. 
    • Got to the race ~1:15 before the start. I like to show up early, except for the one time I got to a 5k late and actually had to sprint to the starting line. But I digress.
    • Ran a 1-mile warmup, with sort of a halfhearted stride at the end. Felt healthy, just did not feel too fast.

Race conditions:

• Weather was great. Low 50's, slight drizzle on the drive over, but cleared up and actually got very sunny. Yesterday was pouring rain & high winds, so got lucky.
    • Race was well organized and well staffed.
    • Course was pretty boring, out & back along a river, but very flat. The back portion was into the morning sun, so ended up looking basically straight down at the ground the entire time.
    • Good crowd, not too big & not too small. I would do this race again.

Race:

Planned to start conservatively at 7:40-7:45 to see how I felt, try to pick it up to 7:30's in the middle miles, and then see what I could do in the final third. Despite my epic marathon collapses, I have been able to run HM's essentially in progression, finishing with some big negative splits.

Splits:

• 1-5: 7:41, 7:41, 7:45, 7:46, 7:41. If I was going to pick up the pace, I waited too long.
    • 6-9: 7:38, 7:40, 7:35, 7:36. Finally starting to pick it up, but not enough. Kind of gave up my A Goal somewhere in here.
    • 10-13: 7:30, 7:28, 7:35, 7:25. Thought I should have some juice left, so figured the PR was still doable. And I did, and it was. Barely.

Finish: 1:39:51, 5th AG

• Around mile 11, an aid station guy yelled "you're doing great", or some such usual annoying nonsense, but then "lower your hands and use your arms". I have never actually gotten productive comments during a race. I have no idea whatsoever of proper running form, so I really appreciated that (assuming it was good advice).
    • I passed the 1:40 pacer during mile 12. This felt good, vs. getting passed my the 3:40 pacer in my last two marathons, but I sort of had the idea to do this much earlier in the race. Anyway I was pretty surprised when I saw the finish line clock >1:40 (gun time). Pacer was a bit slow, glad I didn't count on him.

Post-mortem:

• As I have said before, McMillan is a dick. 
    • Also, the idea of "post-marathon fitness" may be a myth. I think I would have fared much better running a HM 4-6 weeks pre-marathon (like most normal people do), when the hard training is really fresh. I was looking at one 4 weeks prior, but I'm always too nervous about interrupting training for the goal race. If I knew I would end up tanking the marathon, I definitely would've run that half.
    • I suppose I could've pushed myself harder today - I certainly felt like I was running fairly hard the last few miles, but not so much really suffering. Could I have started at 7:30 and targeted even splits for a 1:38? Maybe, IDK, or maybe this is all I've got at this distance. It's just hard to believe that I can't run a faster HM than I did a year ago.
    • There is an HM I am looking at in 2 weeks - maybe run that and be more aggressive? Although doesn't give me any time to actually train. But it's the benefit of an HM that I don't have to worry too much about recovery time, I feel fine right now. And as I certainly learned this spring with my 5k's & 10k's, it can take a couple three times to get the racing strategy right.

Dave

LRB

It's just hard to believe that I can't run a fast HM than I did a year ago.

Dude, I couldn't run a half marathon at marathon pace 4 weeks post-marathon let alone set a PR. You really need to shake your head moving forward and get out of your own way.

This was a solid effort, imagine what you can do 2 weeks further removed from your marathon...oh wait it's you, never mind. lol

Nice job!

LRB

• As I have said before, McMillan is a dick.

Classic case of shooting the messenger. Next time, shoot yourself.

outoftheblue

Nice work and congrats on the PR.  You really did pick up the pace during the last half.

I've never been given advice mid-race either.  So, did you lower your hands and use your arms like the guy suggested?

Life is good.

bluerun

Super B****

Some guy once told me, around mile 4.75 of a 5 mile race, to lower my shoulders.  YES, I KNOW I TENSE MY SHOULDERS, I'M A LITTLE BUSY HERE, GO AWAY.

Just because you DIDN'T run a faster HM than two years ago doesn't mean you CAN'T.  If you know you didn't push yourself 100% -- then there you go, you can do it faster.

But it's still a PR!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice PR!

Cyberic

Super happy for you. I know I'm not back 100% from my marathon, and I understand what you mean about the famed post marathon fitness. I did a few strides yesterday, and they were far from convincing. And you were more destroyed than I was after the marathon. To come out of this one with a PR... that is huge IMO.

onemile

All things considered, this is a pretty good result. Yes, you would have been faster running it during MRT.  And you would have been even faster than that if you had trained specifically for it.  But running this after weeks of easy running and marathon recovery is pretty good!

I don't know that I would do another in 2 weeks. I'd want a little more time to throw in some goal paced workouts.

Little Blue

Nice job!  And cut yourself just a little slack, mkay?

cjones1

Nice job. I could barely walk for a week after my HALF PR, and you're setting a half PR after not completely recovered from the full, so I agree with the consensus that you need to admit you're a badass.  And then go smash the next one. Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Classic case of shooting the messenger. Next time, shoot yourself.

Or just run faster. 

Dave

I've never been given advice mid-race either.  So, did you lower your hands and use your arms like the guy suggested?

I did. He seemed to know what he was talking about, people don't just say that at random. No idea whether it helped but it kinda felt like maybe it did.

Dave

Thanks everyone.

Really, if you told me just 2 weeks ago I would run this kind of a race, or in fact any race, I would've been ecstatic. So there's that.

I don't know that I would do another in 2 weeks. I'd want a little more time to throw in some goal paced workouts.

This is probably smart. Two weeks is basically a do-over. Although it's going to start to get tougher to find races. And I was thinking about moving on to find a 5k or two.

Dave

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

No one can accuse you of bragging on yourself, even when it's due. Nice race.  You PR'd ffs.

Runner with a riding problem.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It's a PR nonetheless Smile

And being able to run half the marathon distance just 4 weeks after a marathon race (and recently being sick during race week) is awesome Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)