Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #214 (Read 26 times)

DavePNW

Seriously, starting this from the West Coast?

12 miles along the Willamette River in Eugene.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have 7.

Damaris

Cyberic

Ran 19ish with 4 x ( 3k @MP / 1k ).

(6:50, 6:41, 6:46) (6:52, 6:50, 6:52) (6:52, 6:54, 6:42) (6:46, 6:46, 6:44)

Bonked on my way home. That's two weeks in a row that I bonk. Last week I was finishing my LR with 5K@MP and I bonked during that. I sat down for a while and managed to finish but I was running on fumes. This week, I was done with running hard. I was coming back home at maybe 7:30-7:40 pace, to finish with with a decent running form. It's like 3.5 miles from the park back home, and I stopped 4 to 5 times to just stand there for anywhere between a few seconds to 2-3 minutes. About 1/4 from home, I just stopped the watch and walked the rest.

I'll go buy gels and try that for the next weeks. I have to practice taking them anyways. I barely drink and eat nothing on my LRs, so that probably does not help.

Baboon

delicate flower

I took my virtual Boston Marathon route for a test run.  It's a 4.25 mile loop and I did it three times.  350' of elevation gain for 13.1 miles, but it didn't feel like it.  There are no hills...just gradual ups and downs pretty much the entire time.  It's a pretty route too...it goes along former tobacco fields and abandoned tobacco sheds (my town has a tobacco history).  The only way I could get something flatter around here is if I just go back and forth on the bike path a bunch of times, which I don't want to do.

Here is "We Don't Grow Tobacco" by Old Crow Medicine Show for your listening pleasure.  You're welcome.

<3

Cyberic

I took my virtual Boston Marathon route for a test run.  It's a 4.25 mile loop and I did it three times.  350' of elevation gain for 13.1 miles, but it didn't feel like it.  There are no hills...just gradual ups and downs pretty much the entire time.  It's a pretty route too...it goes along former tobacco fields and abandoned tobacco sheds (my town has a tobacco history).  The only way I could get something flatter around here is if I just go back and forth on the bike path a bunch of times, which I don't want to do.

Here is "We Don't Grow Tobacco" by Old Crow Medicine Show for your listening pleasure.  You're welcome.

That's a lot of elevation for me. Good job!

MTA: And your video link does not work for me. Maybe because I'm in Canada? But for some reason, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

onemile

I ran 14 miles with DBRP and 3 others but DB thinks going slower than an 8:30 pace is of no benefit to him (a 3:22 marathoner ) so we ended up running ahead of the others for most of it. Anyway 14 miles is my longest run in awhile so there's that. I might run with them again tomorrow

onemile

Don't you regularly run up a mountain?

Cyberic

I ran 14 miles with DBRP and 3 others but DB thinks going slower than an 8:30 pace is of no benefit to him (a 3:22 marathoner ) so we ended up running ahead of the others for most of it. Anyway 14 miles is my longest run in awhile so there's that. I might run with them again tomorrow

I'm not saying I agree with him, but running at 8:30 is not too fast IMO for a 3:22 marathoner. How many miles per week does he run? That makes a difference in the pace at which you run, too.

Cyberic

Don't you regularly run up a mountain?

Yeah, but it is different. At least I see it differently. When I'm running the mountain, I'm in climbing mode. I'm running uphill. It's the nature of the workout. But most of the time, I just run on flat. I like the mountain because it is the most beautiful place to run in Montreal, but the elevation in itself I don't particularly enjoy.

slow 4.5 on the accotink park access road,  about 2.5 road  crown and 2 running down the middle of the road.
                      Quick change of clothes in park restroom followed by a brisk 5.3 mile walk with the wife at Accotink.  A few days ago my wife asked “Are you doing a longer run on Saturday?”  I of course knew what she was really asking was if I would go walk with her on Saturday.

I’m only off work one day on the weekends; it hasn’t mattered recently as my wife Work has been nutty busy and she’s been working most Saturdays and Sundays.  Going  forward my off work day on the weekends will likely be just a modest run followed by a wife walk.

next:  spend the afternoon cooking...., maybe Blueberry Pie Cookies😀

onemile

I'm not saying I agree with him, but running at 8:30 is not too fast IMO for a 3:22 marathoner. How many miles per week does he run? That makes a difference in the pace at which you run, too.

I didn't say 8:30 was too fast but if someone whose marathon pace is 7:45 to think he can't run at 8:45 or 9 minute miles without wasting his time is dumb

Cyberic

I didn't say 8:30 was too fast but if someone whose marathon pace is 7:45 to think he can't run at 8:45 or 9 minute miles without wasting his time is dumb

I don't disagree with you, but I also understand him. I was not running slow either before. People were telling me I should, but I didn't. I did not see the point. I was doing all right

Baboon

delicate flower

I guess technically it is comparable to Boston, but I'll take my gradual inclines spread out over the 26.2 miles over the five miles of hell Boston provides.

<3

sdWhiskers

10 miles with 5 on the beach. I initially had another route planned but there was not a cloud in the sky at 6am so I headed for the coolest spot around. Of course, I had to check the tide schedule first but this ended up being perfect!

DavePNW

Yes of course, that’s why my run today was in fact at an 8:29 average pace. because as I am also a 3:22 marathoner, 8:30 would have been too slow. 

Refresh my memory: DBRP is the same guy as HHWBRP?

So, I mentioned last Saturday I finally hooked up with some of the folks from my running group. One of them added me to a group conversation on FB messenger, of a handful of people who often get together to run on Saturday mornings. So I’ll at least know what they’re doing and will have that option. Some of them I follow on Strava and are slower than this 3:22 marathoner would like to run - over 9:00 pace. But we’ll see what happens, because two of them I know are faster than me in general.

Dave