Beginners and Beyond

October Mileage - Post 'Em! (Read 74 times)

SheCan

Where'd this month go?  Wasn't I supposed to get more miles training for a marathon?  LOL

Anyway, 191... that's it and it'll have to work.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

DavePNW

Yeah, I am trying to figure out just how I would get 200-300 miles in one month. Hell, next year I probably won't have a month near 200 miles, sadly during the week I can only manage 7-8 miles in the morning before work, I would have to get up at 4 a.m if I wanted to run longer than 9 miles (which I plan on). It's just crazy to imagine, I mean maybe if some runs are cut in half, like 5 or 7 miles in the morning and then 7 or 8 miles in the evening to add up to 13-15 miles for one day everyday then I could see it.

If you can average 8 miles, 6 days a week, that will get you to 200. Also being able to go longer on the weekend helps.

300 is another world for me, no advice on that one.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Next year I plan on adding a 5th day to my running, then changing Wednesday morning's to my mid-long run  with hopes of reaching 9-10 miles, with maybe an easy/recovery of 3-4 miles in the evening. I also plan on reaching 15 miles for my weekend long runs by the end of 2014. I think you can view my training plan (warning: I am converting to trails with most of my runs - me loves trails).

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

adkkev

If you can average 8 miles, 6 days a week, that will get you to 200. Also being able to go longer on the weekend helps.

300 is another world for me, no advice on that one.

To me that's just nutz.  I enjoy too many other outdoorsy things to get wrapped up in running six days a week.  Hike 8-10 miles and then run another 8?  That's crazy talk.  But that's just my opinion.  Everybody's different!!

onemile

It'll be 265 after I run 6 tonight.

DavePNW

Next year I plan on adding a 5th day to my running, then changing Wednesday morning's to my mid-long run  with hopes of reaching 9-10 miles, with maybe an easy/recovery of 3-4 miles in the evening. I also plan on reaching 15 miles for my weekend long runs by the end of 2014. I think you can view my training plan (warning: I am converting to trails with most of my runs - me loves trails).

I did actually take a quick look at it, but I'm not the one you want reviewing training plans, because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

But I will tell you that I was able to get up to 50mpw (for a brief period at the peak of marathon training) on only 5 days/wk, I have never gotten up to 6 days. It was basically T-W-Th 7-9 miles, Sat 8-10, Sun 16-20. If you are training for HM's rather than fulls, you don't need to worry about LR's that long (or really about 200 mile months in general). Looks like you plan to get into the 40's which should be good for HM's. Still an aggressive goal vs the mid-20s you appear to be doing now. I will also tell you, again from the n00b perspective - I saw a significant increase in racing speed, without actually running faster training paces, just from increasing mileage volume.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My crazy (long term) goal is to being doing a few ultras before I am 30, maybe 1 or 2 a year (trails). I think I'd be happy with 40-50 mpw, I've definitely noticed my aggression levels have decreased since increasing my mileage - road rage, easily riled up, impatient, etc... I want to have the occasional 20 mile long run someday, but with next year's plan I am just trying to be conservative but ballsy at the same time Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I did actually take a quick look at it, but I'm not the one you want reviewing training plans, because I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

But I will tell you that I was able to get up to 50mpw (for a brief period at the peak of marathon training) on only 5 days/wk, I have never gotten up to 6 days. It was basically T-W-Th 7-9 miles, Sat 8-10, Sun 16-20. If you are training for HM's rather than fulls, you don't need to worry about LR's that long (or really about 200 mile months in general). Looks like you plan to get into the 40's which should be good for HM's. Still an aggressive goal vs the mid-20s you appear to be doing now. I will also tell you, again from the n00b perspective - I saw a significant increase in racing speed, without actually running faster training paces, just from increasing mileage volume.

Your races or mine?

PRs

DavePNW

Your races or mine?

Ha. Mine. I have not been stalking your training log & race results that closely.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

188.9 - one of my higher months this year, including higher than my summer of training for a marathon. Which says more about how poor my summer was, than how good this month was.

I've hit 300 once during a challenge on RWOL BF - that was a seriously long month.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

198.2 for the month, my highest since March, 2008. Ironically this is higher than any monthly totals when training for my ultra. Another oddity is that I did that with only 2 double digit runs all month, the longest being 11.3 miles. While I thought briefly of appending a couple more miles to my cool down today, I quickly dismissed that idea after running an interval workout of 8 x .4 miles at 5K pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I was hoping not Smile

Ha. Mine. I have not been stalking your training log & race results that closely.

PRs

happylily

198.2 for the month, my highest since March, 2008. Ironically this is higher than any monthly totals when training for my ultra. Another oddity is that I did that with only 2 double digit runs all month, the longest being 11.3 miles. While I thought briefly of appending a couple more miles to my cool down today, I quickly dismissed that idea after running an interval workout of 8 x .4 miles at 5K pace.

Congratulations, George! It points to a great 2014 for you. Smile

When I saw the 198.2 number, I thought: "Now why not make it 200?" Then I thought: "Oh yes... it's George... It would be acting too impulsively for him to add 2 miles just for the sake of a round number." Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Philliefan33

115.8 miles, making October the 11th consecutive month I've hit triple digits.

I'd like to keep the streak going, but November will have a taper and at least a bit of recovery (aka laziness after my goal race).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congratulations, George! It points to a great 2014 for you. Smile

When I saw the 198.2 number, I thought: "Now why not make it 200?" Then I thought: "Oh yes... it's George... It would be acting too impulsively for him to add 2 miles just for the sake of a round number." Big grin

I was thinking more along the lines of not wanting overly tired legs tomorrow since I may be running trails and those wicked little rocks and roots are just waiting to trip me while running on tired legs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.