Beginners and Beyond

Hartford Marathon LR recap - my first non PR marathon (Read 72 times)

hog4life

Phil, I do not have much experience at the distance, but I think you did great. I'll report back after Sunday!

cjones1

Nice job fighting through the pain.  There have been several folks here that have missed out on their main goals recently, but have still fought their butt off until the end anyway.  I hope to remember that in the future if things go haywire in a race.

As for the IM, good luck.  You'll kill it, I'm sure.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Julia1971

Congratulations, Babs!  Yes, 3:26 is still a great time.  And, it's awesome that you can have that perspective so soon after a race.  I'd have permitted you 24-hours of being pissed.  Wink

I'm thinking you were just tired.  You were putting in some great workouts and with the races, you probably weren't recovered enough.  Unfortunately, that's one of those things you only find out the hard way.

And, taking a "break" to do an Ironman is a great idea.  Back-to-back marathon cycles can be hard mentally.  Heck, if I could bike or swim, I'd probably join you.

Thanks for the RR!  And, I have every confidence you'll get that BQ. Wink

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sorry your time wasn't what you were shooting for, but way to keep things in perspective.

Its got to be tough to figure out in the middle of summer if a crappy run is due to heat or fatigue. Good luck with Iron Man training. I assume all swimming is pool based in winter?

happylily

A marathon is a marathon. They all suck the life out of you, no matter what the finish time is. Congratulations on surviving yet another very strong training cycle and sorry that race day did not live up to expectations.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

That looks like a "I dropped a gas bomb and can't wait to hear someone gag"  smile.

Marathon is a bitch.  No matter what.

Zelanie

I've decided that this song is the marathon's love song to runners.

Sorry that you didn't have your BQ in you that day.  I love how you managed that from the start, though.  When I race, the absolute hardest thing is holding it together once I'm off pace and know I'm going to miss my goal.  It sounds like you did really well in that category, so congrats.  And hey, it is still a 3:26, which would be a great day for lots of us!

DavePNW

TRUTH.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Not familiar with this song because I am old and out of touch....will watch when I have a computer with sound.  Big grin

Thanks for all the comments and input.  Much appreciated.  While I say it'll be nice to not have to train for a marathon for a while, I just know I'll be jealous as all hell when folks are running their marathons next year and I'm sitting around reading about it, regardless of my Ironman training.  Hopefully I can decide on a coach in the coming days so I can start getting some kind of general idea as to a plan.

5K next Sunday.  Yup.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I blame all that biking and swimming you did.

Sounds like you may need a break from the intense training and racing. I've found having a relaxed, easy few months once every year or two when I just run and not focus on training or a goal race helps keep me fresh....or switch focus from long races to short races with the shift in training emphasis.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

hey they cannot all be PRs.  Bad days happen; you learn from them and move on.  Good luck with your Ironman training!

Great attitude, Phil.  When you attempt to race, on foot, further than many people commute in a vehicle in a day, things can happen.

Good luck with your IM training, that should be a totally awesome experience.