Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 21 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  I'll be heading out for something long-ish in a bit.

Does anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

I'm due for a long long run.  I pushed my runs forward because of the weather forecast, now I'm wishing I hadn't as I'm feeling exhausted without my Friday rest day.  Today is another foggy damp day with heavy rain expected tonight and tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be dry, but with winds of 17-20 mph, so unless I want to run on the TM for 20 miles (which I don't) I get to go get wet again. At least it's fairly warm (41).   It's good mental training, right?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Ginny and Jill.

Also overdue for a LR, so went out for 3 this morning and ended up with 9.5.  Guess we felt motivated with bad weather coming in tonight.  Did the run/walk thing so it doesn't even feel like we ran.  Are running intervals were mostly around 9:30 which is really fast for us.

We are undecorating today.  Comcast sent us a new box, so I'm going to install that and hope its working for the Golden Globes on Sunday.

We did see The Big Short yesterday.  Really good, but won't be best picture.   Tomorrow, we go into the city to help DD2 undecorate and have lunch with both DD's.

Have a great weekend.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Speaking of weekend plans, what are you going to do with the $900 million? (besides having a big Penguin FE)

SheCan

Another non-running day.  Too cold this morning, and I messed around until i didn't have time.  Tomrrow I won't be able to either because I'm going to a painters workshop early.   Maybe I'll do the stationary bike tonight if i don't get too lazy.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Philliefan33

I did my LR today, 7 miles.

Something weird happened at the end, with about half a mile to go. I started seeing spots and getting tunnel vision. I wasn't pushing hard at all, just going nice and easy. I had water with me and had been drinking some. When I got back to the car I drank some more and sat for a few minutes but the spots remained. I stopped to pick up a cheesesteak before heading home, and downed a chocolate milk while I waited for it. Now I'm home and showered, and thinking it was migraine-ish and maybe not running related. I'm not prone to migraines but have had a few.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I did my LR today, 7 miles.

Something weird happened at the end, with about half a mile to go. I started seeing spots and getting tunnel vision. I wasn't pushing hard at all, just going nice and easy. I had water with me and had been drinking some. When I got back to the car I drank some more and sat for a few minutes but the spots remained. I stopped to pick up a cheesesteak before heading home, and downed a chocolate milk while I waited for it. Now I'm home and showered, and thinking it was migraine-ish and maybe not running related. I'm not prone to migraines but have had a few.

That sounds really terrifying. That could have been a migraine with aura. If you happen to be on birth control get yourself to a doctor asap. It can be linked with strokes.

GinnyinPA

Margo - I've had that.  I don't know what causes it, but a few minute's rest seems to make it stop.  Could be overheating, low blood sugar, low blood pressure or migraine.  I don't think it's too serious, but I'm no doctor.

Jerry - are you doing 9:1 or 5:1 intervals these days?

Cherie - have fun painting tomorrow.

I ended up doing my 20 on the treadmill after all.  I just couldn't face 3 1/2 hours in cold mist.

Zelanie

Ginny, you rocked it! How did it go?

Margo, glad you got home safely.

PADRunner

6 on the TM and 2 outside in 27 and sun.

If it's below freezing do you still have to Ice?

GinnyinPA

PAD - did you do the TM before or after the two outside?  Or were they separate runs?

Rest day for me today.  I'm a bit stiff and sore, but not too bad.  Walking Ben helped a lot.  We're planning to go for a short hike if we can figure out someplace that isn't flooded too badly.  Last night's rain was a deluge.

PADRunner

PAD - did you do the TM before or after the two outside?  Or were they separate runs?

Rest day for me today.  I'm a bit stiff and sore, but not too bad.  Walking Ben helped a lot.  We're planning to go for a short hike if we can figure out someplace that isn't flooded too badly.  Last night's rain was a deluge.

I did the TM first then went out. It was a lot colder than I expected!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I wound up doing my "long" run today.  9.1 miles.  Holy crap I am out of shape and this half marathon in two weeks is really going to suck.  That's all =P

Zelanie

I wound up doing my "long" run today.  9.1 miles.  Holy crap I am out of shape and this half marathon in two weeks is really going to suck.  That's all =P

In two weeks, you will have finished another HM, gotten your medal, and it will be just as shiny as it would have been if you would have run 10 minutes faster. Smile

I ran 5.6 on the TM for no other reason than staying home seemed easier than going out.