Beginners and Beyond

Which was worse: This winter or last winter? (Read 76 times)

LRB

Granted, this winter is not over but the question was posed on a radio station today. To me, it's not even close but before I give up the goods I am wondering what you think.

Hip Redux

This winter for sure.   We're on track to break a 110 year record for the coldest Feb on record!

I'm gonna be a rebel & say last winter. They can both go fuck themselves, but sometimes in life you gotta pick a side.

Both years I was stuck on the treadmill all week & ventured out for a suckfest or two on the weekends, for a change of pace & to avoid a LR on the mill. This year has been colder (although my more miles than degrees record from last year still stands), but last year we had way more snow - I remember a lot more running into the teeth of blizzards. Despite what NE has been hit with, in MI the snow really hasn't been too bad this year. It has felt a little tougher this year only because I have somewhat more aggressive training goals this time around.

Dave

Hip Redux

You mean not everyone has 3' of snow in their yard?  

GinnyinPA

I'd say the same - last winter had more snow but this winter has had more really cold days. Last winter I was just coming back from injury so didn't need to do long runs, this winter I'm training for two spring races, so I'm noticing the cold more since I'm out longer, when I get out. In both cases, too many miles on the treadmill, too few on the trail.

Cyberic

To me last year was worst because although this winter has been colder, last year there were many days when it was so slippery it was dangerous to run.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This winter has been so cold I have actually considered joining Planet Fitness and running on a TM.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

B-Plus

It's pretty close, but since there were no cherry blossoms last winter at this time like there is now (2 weeks ago actually!), I'd say last winter was worse.

Zelanie

Last winter broke records for snow out here in Oregon, we had two weeks off of school, and had to work a full extra week into the summer plus Presidents' Day to make it up.  This winter, we haven't even had a two-hour delay so far (we have had snow in March before, though, so who knows?).

Now, if you're going to ask which winter I ran more miles in? 

Little Blue

I had to ask DH what kind of winter we had last year.  I don't remember, so it must not have been memorable.  We didn't get all the polar vortex crap, so it's probably been a bit colder this year, for longer stretches. I guess we probably got some snow.  I voted that they are equally sucky.

Half Crazy K 2.0

If I judge on school closings, last winter was way worse. We build in 5 days. Last winter, we used 8. This winter, today is snow day number 3.  Ah, now if only they decided a little early. By 7:15, I was up and caffeinated.

For running, until about 10 days ago, I was able to run outside lots more, because of the lack of snow. Sorry New Englanders. The snow we got last Tuesday has been hanging around and now more is falling on top of it, so more treadmill in my future. Last winter, snow was on the ground until April!

delicate flower

Last winter:  Bitter cold pretty much the entire winter.  Snow wasn't that bad, but bad enough.

This winter:  Pretty mild through January, and I was even able to run on a track as late as Jan 22.  February has been a complete disaster though.  Record cold month, as Oski pointed out, and near record snowfall.  Because of how much snow there is, there is a good chance I won't be able to run on a track or the rail trail before my 4/26 marathon.  Shitty February is going to piss all over March and early April.

I'd say this winter has been worse because of how bad this month has been.  In hindsight, I should have run outside more last winter because it was "only" really cold.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This winter...if we have in San Antonio what you call 'winter'.  Be that as it may, we actually have had more days in the 30s this year than we did last year.  Yes, we South Texans are suffering this year.... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

I remember my first winter of running, which was 2011 into 2012.  I didn't appreciate at the time just how mild that winter was.  Only a few really cold days and the rail trail was clear enough for running pretty much the entire winter.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Last Winter was worse down here.  I mean, it was Summer during Winter.  So, I'll take this year.

Damaris