Beginners and Beyond

Week 23 Penguins have the audacity to hope!! (06/03-06/09) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Audacity to Hope day, which I thought was cool.  Here's some info:

Although the phrase is most connected to Obama, the holiday is for everyone across the world, regardless of their political persuasion. The day is for all those who hope, try, and work towards things that seems impossible. It is a day for all those who are in dire straits, but hope for a new dawn ahead.

So, whether things are swimming along wonderfully, or you're encountering problem after problem, day after day, dare to hope today!!

As for me, I still have two instruments down, the third undergoing a PM, and somehow suddenly one of my office chairs is missing, so now I have to open that can of worms.

But tonight I am going to check out the chorus that's near my work.  I've visited them before, and felt completely unwelcome and had a terrible evening.  But they have a different director now, and I've sung with a quartet from that chorus, so I know several of the members, and I'm feeling the need to be challenged a bit in my music.  So, we'll see what they've got, and hopefully (see what I did there?) I'll have a lovely time!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Audacity to Hope.  Sounds like a good day.

HopesMom, hoping you get your instruments in order.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM = I hope your visit to the new chorus works out for you. Good luck with your instruments and missing chair. Somebody did a midnight requisition, or else the cleaning staff broke it.

We're dealing with a broken camper. We drove all the way across Nevada yesterday to get closer to towns big enough to have repair shops. My hope is that we can get this fixed today and don't get stuck in a cheap motel for more than one night.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny, sorry you're having RV woes!!  Hope you can get it fixed quickly and get back to having fun!

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, curiously enough, I don't think the other chorus is right for me.  I went there looking for a challenge, and that chorus does sing at a higher level than my current chorus.  They're also a lot larger, and I can basically just sing, I don't have to finesse my performance to make it right for the number of people, the type of song, etc.   Basically it's less of a challenge for me because they're singing at a higher level, so I can just sing rather than paying so close attention and working so hard, like I have to do with my current chorus.  So in a weird way, it was less of a challenge than I was looking for.  I think the challenge would be in singing more difficult music, doing more complicated choreo, etc.  But they're also shifting their rehearsals to Thursday nights come July, which is the same night as my current chorus.  I could do half time at one, half time at the other, but since I'm both section leader and assistant director in my current chorus, that just doesn't seem fair.  So, I'm pretty sure that it's not the correct path for me, or at least not at this time.  It's all good.

And since I got home at 11:00 last night and the chorus actually let out a little bit early, there's the whole lack of sleep thing ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have Pilates and a run tonight.

HopesMom, sounds like both choruses have their pros and cons.  Hoping you find the perfect one for you.

Ginny, sorry you are having RV problems.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

So the applications are beginning to roll in for my tech position, so that's all good.  All men so far, which is interesting.  I like working with men, and it's handy to have a guy around when you're moving gas cylinders or climbing up on the lab benches to put algacide in the air conditioner overflow pan.  On occasion they have difficulty working for a woman, though.  My former tech had to be reminded every once in a while  that I was the boss.

Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have hill intervals tonight, bleh.

HopesMom, interesting.  Are there a lot of women in that field?  Maybe the first question on the interview should be that: do you mind working for a woman?  Why?

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Chemistry is still a male-dominated field, definitely.  Even though more women are going to college than men, the ratio is still higher for men in the hard sciences.  My department is slightly under 30% female, and we're one of the highest percentage of women in chemistry departments in the nation.

Which has led to some interesting developments in my own character, that I'm just now beginning to understand.  I don't deal well with extended discussions of a subject, let's just cut to the chase, make a decision, and move on.  I am FAR more determined (stubborn?) when what I think is the right choice is not the choice someone else wants to make.  And I thoroughly enjoy working with men, and am oddly slightly reticent in working with women, because I have less experience working with women.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Up at 5 a.m. this morning and off to the Thousand Oaks YMCA to get in a run/walk. When I started, my brain was like: "it's too humid and I feel blah..are we really doing this?" By the end of mile 1 was feeling okay; by Mile 2, feeling darn good; and ended up strongly running my last 1.5 miles nonstop. This is the way my morning runs usually go, lol, sluggish bit of start, and acting like a spoiled brat ("I don't wanna, I don't wanna!" Tongue ) then feeling better, and then nice strong finish. Ended up today with 3.6 miles done.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Chemistry is still a male-dominated field, definitely.  Even though more women are going to college than men, the ratio is still higher for men in the hard sciences.  My department is slightly under 30% female, and we're one of the highest percentage of women in chemistry departments in the nation.

Which has led to some interesting developments in my own character, that I'm just now beginning to understand.  I don't deal well with extended discussions of a subject, let's just cut to the chase, make a decision, and move on.  I am FAR more determined (stubborn?) when what I think is the right choice is not the choice someone else wants to make.  And I thoroughly enjoy working with men, and am oddly slightly reticent in working with women, because I have less experience working with women.

I have had the same experience, except I am oddly slightly reticent in working with women BECAUSE I'm a cut to the chase, no drama, and abrasive person.  I am not an asshole and I treat people with respect and say thank you, but I don't have time to say things in a flowery way.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

And you are, of course, a badass!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am sure some might say ass...

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Looking through my applicants.  Some possibles, some not so much.  No surprises, I guess.  Chorus rehearsal tonight!  I have to decide pretty soon whether I want to audition for the voiceover part of Monster Mash on our Halloween show.  I don't have the nice deep resonant voice that's usually associated with that song, but my witch costume is Chem, the Potions Witch, complete with lab coat and safety goggles.  That makes "I was working in the lab late one night" kind of a gimme.

I suppose I could audition, then if I don't get it, no worries ...