Beginners and Beyond

Week 31 Penguins could use a nap! (07/19-07/25) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Nap Day, so if you could use a mid-afternoon siesta, go for it!  I found when I was working from home, that I actually got enough sleep and didn't need a nap on weekends.  Now that I'm commuting again, I'm still ok, but dragging by Friday.  I suspect if I were up late at night for chorus and quartet each week, I'd be needing my naps again!

So I made DH's birthday cake, and also got to play with my cake decorating kit I got for Christmas.  It's altogether amateur hour, but that's ok, neither of us were expecting perfection.

I also finished the blanket I was knitting.  One friend pointed out the eerily similar color scheme to DH's cake ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Beautiful blanket, HopesMom! Yum, cake.

Not sure how many miles I have today but I'm going to assume it's 7-8.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - nice cake and blanket. I'm glad you don't need naps these days. Ben woke me up every hour or so, just restless, so I don't feel all that rested. I can't nap though, unless I'm really sick, which rarely happens.

D - good luck with your miles this evening.

I took yesterday off, so I'll do 6+ on the TM this afternoon. We've got another heat advisory. I'm getting very tired of summer. Usually I only have to run on the TM once or twice a week. It has been getting a lot more use, as has the bike since I don't like treadmilling every day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am always tired of Summer, even in day 1, Ginny. LOL

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I went for a walk.  It was hot.  At least I thought to bring a pair of shorts so I wasn't tromping around in 100+ in black jeans!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya Penguins!  I have a couple of job nibbles this morning, stuff that's local and not science.  One I'm actually interested in, the other less so, mostly because it would leave me doing the same commute I'm doing now.  Still, it's good experience.

Ok, better run to my meeting!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Have fun with those samples!

I have 14.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, so the meetings went well, I have another phone call or two today, more stuff to run, more stuff to do, letters to write, my class to work on ... basically it's another day in Paradise.  I did bike in this morning, and enjoyed every minute of it, even though it was already way hot out.  I'll go for a walk later ... even though it will be way hot out.  And I might get wet on the way home, there's a chance of a pop-up shower or thunderstorm.  It's all good.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad the calls went well. Have a great walk later.

I ran 3 this morning, more tonight.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Aaand, now I have a job offer on the table.  Talk about whiplash!!  Having many discussions with DH -- it offers a lot of income potential, though I would start out making less than I am now.  It offers no benefits.  It has tremendous schedule flexibility, enough so that I could still teach my fall class.  So yeah, lots to think about!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice!

Something like that happened to me in PR. I was working for a private company that took over administration of the Water & Sewer government authority. The contract was not renewed but we were most likely to be picked up by either the new company or the government. I had a long time to make a decision, but I sent some resumes, was called in 2 days and then started working as an accountant for an IT company within two weeks of the contract thing. I stayed there until I moved to the US and was the first person to quit the company and move on ha. So when things fall at your feet at the right moment, it's worth considering. Good luck with the decision.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I'm still thinking about things, and there are some details I would need to work out regarding my start date, but I'm leaning toward accepting.  It's got some potential risk, but it's got a lot of potential reward as well.

No biking today, we had quite the storm last night and lost power for a couple of hours, and it was still sprinkling this morning, and may rain this afternoon.  I will probably still go for a walk this afternoon, though.

GinnyinPA

HM - income potential? Does that mean it's a sales job? I'm glad you got an offer so quickly. It is always nice to have options.

I'll do some miles later on the TM. I need some new workouts that aren't actually workouts. I don't like running the same easy pace for several miles, but I just did speed intervals and don't want to do it twice in a row. My legs need easy, my brain needs interesting.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon! It's my day off but woke up at 7am with hubby, mostly because he threw up and the cats were meowing and stuff. So I headed outside in 64F, which jumped to 72F so I barely came back home with 4 when that happened, lol. More miles later and Pilates.

HopesMom, good luck with the decision and keep us posted.

Ginny, enjoy the TM.

Damaris