Beginners and Beyond

Running in colder weather (Read 82 times)

Nevrgivup

Hey guys. So I'm back after running the hot chocolate 5k and I was sort of satisfied with my time at 25:20, but as the day moves on I've been beating myself up for not running hard enough. I'm not sore, which means I didn't run hard enough. This time is equivalent to my tempo paces and is way off my PR many many years ago. My current times have been 24:30-25:30. I was hoping to get between 24-25 so I missed my goal. I am such a better runner in warmer temps IMO. It was cold and in the 20-30's. It was definitely not a flat course as it had a few good hills at the start and close to the finish. Just seeing what your opinions are on racing in colder temps vs warmer temps.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I think my "sweet spot" for racing fast is low 40s to about 50. My last 2 5Ks were both "feels like" 16 and even with a decent warmup and dressing right my legs were just too frozen to turnover quick enough and the air hurt my lungs. I did ok, but couldn't PR, it was just really hard to push my body faster in that cold of temperatures. I also don't do well in high 60s and warmer if there's humidity. Wish every race could be like 48 degrees!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Hey guys. So I'm back after running the hot chocolate 5k and I was sort of satisfied with my time at 25:20, but as the day moves on I've been beating myself up for not running hard enough. I'm not sore, which means I didn't run hard enough. This time is equivalent to my tempo paces and is way off my PR many many years ago. My current times have been 24:30-25:30. I was hoping to get between 24-25 so I missed my goal. I am such a better runner in warmer temps IMO. It was cold and in the 20-30's. It was definitely not a flat course as it had a few good hills at the start and close to the finish. Just seeing what your opinions are on racing in colder temps vs warmer temps.

Cold!!! Or cool at least. I can layer up in the winter but I cannot run naked in the summer.

NO I CAN'T!

LRB

If the choices are warm or cold, I would choose cold.

Nevrgivup

I agree Kristen that the temps in the 40's is perfect. Funny that you say that about hurting your lungs. It was definitely cold enough to notice some discomfort while breathing in the cold air. Running and racing in the cold IMO are two very different things. Lol MBC.

LRB

I think my "sweet spot" for racing fast is low 40s to about 50.

My sweet spot is 32 degrees, but I could definitely go lower.  You can keep the 50's, unless we are talking dollar bills.  ;-)

Yugo18

I do much, much, much better in cold weather.  (But my body particularly does not like hot temperatures.)

Nice job in tough conditions, Hilary.

I like racing temperatures a bit warmer than most, but I've been doing OK when it's chilly as long as I get an extended warmup in and can stay warm until gun time.   Cold, tight legs are absolutely a detriment.

Cheap, warm gear that can be tossed away if needed is an important part of my cold-race strategy.  Thrift store hoodie ditched last minute in the corral, 1-2 winter hats that can be thrown mid-race as needed.  My hands are *never* warm enough, so gloves stay on the whole way.

Nevrgivup

Nice job in tough conditions, Hilary.

I like racing temperatures a bit warmer than most, but I've been doing OK when it's chilly as long as I get an extended warmup in and can stay warm until gun time.   Cold, tight legs are absolutely a detriment.

Cheap, warm gear that can be tossed away if needed is an important part of my cold-race strategy.  Thrift store hoodie ditched last minute in the corral, 1-2 winter hats that can be thrown mid-race as needed.  My hands are *never* warm enough, so gloves stay on the whole way.

Thank you. I'm with you. Give me 40-50 degrees and I'm happy for a race. I'm the same way too with my hands. They are never ever warm enough.

Hip Redux

Below freezing and the cold air really hurts my lungs.  And my feet get so cold, I can barely feel them!

But right around 40 degrees in the winter is perfect.   In the summer months, so long as it's below 80 or so, I'm fine.  

No more marathons

High 40's to low 50's seems to work best for me.  I also ran a 5K yesterday, with a starting temp at 39.  I have an occasional bout of exercise induced asthma and in hind sight I wish I had taken a puff or two of albuterol before the race as my lungs were laboring in the final mile.  This only seems to happen below 40 degrees.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

delicate flower

Too cold sucks and too hot sucks.  I'll take anything between 35 and 70.  Given the choice though, I'll take the cold.  Too warm will slow me down way more than too cold will.  Plus, cold means no bugs.

<3

RSX

I keep track at what % of runners I beat at a race. A 5 mile race in July, I ran 30 seconds slower than the previous year, but I was in better shape this time. This year the temp was in the 80's and I beat 10% more than last year so that put it in perspective for me. My Thanksgiving 5k I was very disappointed in my time, but it was cold, and I beat a higher % which felt better.

Nevrgivup

I keep track at what % of runners I beat at a race. A 5 mile race in July, I ran 30 seconds slower than the previous year, but I was in better shape this time. This year the temp was in the 80's and I beat 10% more than last year so that put it in perspective for me. My Thanksgiving 5k I was very disappointed in my time, but it was cold, and I beat a higher % which felt better.

I think that puts it in perspective. I finished 630/3500 runners. I'm not sure what I placed in my age group, but seeing me in the top 20% of the race isn't too shabby. This was a big race. Looking back to my time there in 2011, my time today was 32 seconds faster so that's a plus. I'm not obsessing or anything. LOL. I've got a marathon to think of! Smile

hog4life

Too cold sucks and too hot sucks.  I'll take anything between 35 and 70.  Given the choice though, I'll take the cold.  Too warm will slow me down way more than too cold will.  Plus, cold means no bugs.

This is one of the reason I like winter the most.

Back on topic though, I prefer to run/race in the colder temps, but "seem" to do well in the sweaty hot temps.