Beginners and Beyond

Mondailes (Read 38 times)

B-Plus

8 later.

MI peeps - Is this worse than last year?

LRB

MI peeps - Is this worse than last year?

Not even close. We would need what we got yesterday to fall three days a week for the rest of the month to even get in the ballpark, and that's not including the record lows we had.

As Midwestern winters go it's been a cakewalk thus far...knock on wood.

onemile

As Midwestern winters go it's been a cakewalk thus far...knock on wood.

True. We've been very lucky. One week of cold weather. One big dump of snow. Easy peasy so far.

StepbyStep-SH

SRD, other than a modified workout in martial arts tonight.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

True. We've been very lucky. One week of cold weather. One big dump of snow. Easy peasy so far.

And only 6 weeks to go according to that east coast rodent known as Phil (not that Phil ), which I am actually okay with if it's as mild as it has been.

LRB

I got my computer back and there is not a single file or program of mine on here. Not one. It actually seems barren if that makes sense.

I had a million sites bookmarked or was able to type just a couple of letters of a site in the browser to bring it up. Losing that blows as bad as losing my data.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sigh, just got home.  With Trixie.  Finally.  So far, nothing seems wrong but her liver looks weird.  After all, she almost died of liver disease so it's her new normal.  She is happy to be home.

Pilates was hard (she worked my upper and lower body) so no weights.  I did enough "weights" there for the day.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I got my computer back and there is not a single file or program of mine on here. Not one. It actually seems barren if that makes sense.

I had a million sites bookmarked or was able to type just a couple of letters of a site in the browser to bring it up. Losing that blows as bad as losing my data.

Sounds like they formatted it or the guy did not know what he was doing (if there was a way to salvage it).  My Mac backs up every day so the external drive has everything in here...allegedly.

Damaris

LRB

Sounds like they formatted it or the guy did not know what he was doing (if there was a way to salvage it). 

No, they are the best of the best.  After clearing it the first time while trying to save the uncorrupted files (at my behest) we found the encrypted (infected) files were still on there.

Since this particular virus is so unpredictable the only way to ensure my machine was safe was to remove everything, which I obviously did not want to do but I could not risk leaving those files on my machine for them to come to life some day. So he stripped it clean.

LRB

LRB, you need a damn snowblower.

I actually had one of them things once. If someone drove on the snow before you used it though you were screwed!

I might get another but have not to this point because I always viewed snow shoveling as cardio. 

onemile

And only 6 weeks to go according to that east coast rodent known as Phil (not that Phil ), which I am actually okay with if it's as mild as it has been.

Really, has it ever been less than 6 weeks?

LRB

Really, has it ever been less than 6 weeks?

That's exactly what I said today at work! 6 weeks would the second week in March, I'll take that all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

Unlike the past two years where Spring never came. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No, they are the best of the best.  After clearing it the first time while trying to save the uncorrupted files (at my behest) we found the encrypted (infected) files were still on there.

Since this particular virus is so unpredictable the only way to ensure my machine was safe was to remove everything, which I obviously did not want to do but I could not risk leaving those files on my machine for them to come to life some day. So he stripped it clean.

Ugh.  I had that happen to me many a time before.

Damaris

Cyberic

What is just as important as cleaning the virus is do you know how you got the virus? Otherwise you might just get infected again. I haven't caught a virus on any of my computers in at least 10 years, not because I have a better anti-virus (often I don't even have one) but I pretty  know how they infect computers and am careful when in thoses areas.  I'm not saying it's impossible I get one some time, but if I ever get one, you're damn sure I'm not going to catch it again as I'll make sure I know how to avoid it.

LRB

What is just as important as cleaning the virus is do you know how you got the virus? Otherwise you might just get infected again.

No unfortunately not, that's the worst part.  They usually come as an update or an annoying window that you X out of but I do not recall closing anything suspicious that day.