Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins, what's on the race schedule? (Read 31 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Bin, I was looking at your photos you posted yesterday.  Good gravy!   Glad you don't have asthma, having to deal with all that stuff!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - It does sound like running right now would be counterproductive to your fitness.  I hope they're done with that soon.  There has got to be a better way of doing that.  I know it wouldn't be allowed here in the US.

Phillie - That sounds like a lot of fun.  I actually like to get my long run in as early as possible.  It's so much better than running half of my day away in the middle of the day.

Kristin - Running with your dad sounds awesome.  The last really active thing I did with my dad was put on a roof, and even that was a awesome.

HsM - I understand that.  I have a gym membership.  Luckily, it's not very expensive.  I only use it when the weather completely sucks.

Ginny - Enjoy your run.  I'm starting to think the pebble was a coincidence.  I'll explain later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - Hopefully your dogs don't hate the vet.  Me and my dog, both hate the vet.  I think he just hates the vet because I do.  He's a tool.

She Can - I love the idea of racing on trips.  I want to start doing that, and the wife is on board.  So awesome.  It's like a souvenir.

Jack - Yes.  There's nothing that a Natty can't fix, or at least make somewhat better.  I wish we could grow cool fruit like that here in the midwest.  It does sound like a great day.

Jerry - That's good to hear.  Take good care of yourself.

Scotty - Nice pace on the run.  The conditions didn't sound optimal, but I bet that rain did feel great.

Coralie - Great job on the mileage.  I just hope that hamstring thing clears up.  Sounds unfun.

AFM - An update on my foot.  Someone suggested that maybe my shoes were tied too tight.  It's funny because I loosened up my laces when it really started to hurt, and that did help.  I looked at where the pain was most intense and saw that it was right at the "arch lock" on my shoes.  The laces don't seem to move in that area, once they are tight.  I think my laces were pushing right on a tendon.  When I tried to shift that rock, I probably flexed that tendon, and upset it pretty good.  I've been icing it, and keeping my footwear loose.  Hopefully that does that trick.  If it doesn't feel great tomorrow, I can push back my 13 mile run until Sunday.

Also, I'm really thinking about running my base building phase up to 60.  With the exception of this foot thing, my legs and feet in general feel amazing.  I've hit just over 51 per week so far.  Maybe I could shoot for 55 next week and see how that feels.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

SheCan

Jack--- wow, great hilly long run.  Love finishing off a run with a nice drink!  Enjoy that apricot smoothy!

Damaris-- Yay@ you being a forum ho!  I think most of us really enjoy seeing everyone's pictures.  It takes a certain amount of guts to put yourself out there, and without it these forums wouldn't work.  BTW, you're definitely NOT a ho...now if you start inflicting your nudies on us, I will be changing my tune, and staging an intervention.

Jerry-- glad you're at least able to walk with no pain.  Hopefully you'll be back to running in a few days.

Scotty-- that sounds like quite the run.  Not sure if I'd find that enjoyable, but I'm glad you felt good during it. Now that cold shower afterwards....ahhh, now that sounds nice!  And yup, my hubby spoils me to death, Scotty.  He thinks he's always trying to keep me, but truth be told, he couldn't get rid of me if he wanted.

Coralie-- Sad @ the hamstring pain.  At least you got in some good miles before it reared up.  Hope the stretching helps.

I went ahead and drove higher into the mountains after I checked in earlier today.  I ran 6-1/2 and saw my first bear in the wild!  Thankfully although the area is pretty secluded another couple was there, and warned me, so I was on the look out for him.  I followed him just a bit, before he turned around and looked at me.  Decided I'd seen enough!  I was very excited to have seen him though.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted by She Can:   I ran 6-1/2 and saw my first bear in the wild!  Thankfully although the area is pretty secluded another couple was there, and warned me, so I was on the look out for him.  I followed him just a bit, before he turned around and looked at me.  Decided I'd seen enough!  I was very excited to have seen him though.

Now, see, this is a situation in which you should be running nekkid.  Cuz, then, you see, you'd have just been another bare to him. Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Woohoo TGIF penguins

I did 5 muggy miles at 74 dewpoint.  That must rank up on scotty's dewpoint list.  blah.  Had to walk some.  Then went to the pool, relief.

Cherie, so awesome seeing a bear!  All i saw today was a dead cat.  Not as impressiveDead

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Back from my run.  I didn't wear the knee strap since that didn't seem to help last week, but I *did* have my kneecap taped.  And it was great!  The gym was closed for cleaning, so I just ran around the neighborhood, trying to stick to asphalt instead of concrete.  I meant to stop at 3 but I just couldn't, so I ran 3.25.  Splits were 9:51, 9:33, 9:12, and the last quarter was 8:30.  Felt good to feel like I had two legs under me, I just couldn't help it.

Cherie- I hope you have a great race!  Was it a black bear?  I've seen a few of those in the wild, and they mostly seem to keep to themselves.  Though I don't know about that area, if they get food from tourists or something like that, yikes!

Jack- Nice run!  Hope you enjoy the afternoon to yourself.

Jerry- Do you have a roller?  Or tennis ball?  That might help, too, if you like the torture.

Coralie- Your mileage is really coming along!  Hope that the hammy/piriformis stuff calms down.

Scotty- I bet you had a lot of egrets about going for that run!  (sorry, couldn't resist).  The doggies were just getting their shots and stuff.

Awood- It sounds like you could push up to 60, but since you're adding mileage, maybe also add a cutback too?  Just to be safe?  One of my dogs loves the vet, the other is terrified.  So this year I tried to take them both together to see if that kept Zoe calm, and it did help.

Traci- Nice run in the heat!  Glad to see your mileage coming back.

GinnyinPA

Awood - can't you find a better vet?  I live in a small town, and there are at least four different vet offices here, and several in nearby towns.

Cherie - hurray for seeing the bear!  I'm surprised with all your trail running that you haven't had that pleasure before.

Coralie - you're doing great with the mileage.  Sounds like you really are getting serious about doing the HM in February.  Good luck with the sciatica/piriformis though.

Scotty - I've had hikes where I prayed for the rain to fall, just to cool me off.  In your case, you were not entirely successful at that, but I'm glad you had fun.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damn it, there goes my weekend!

Jack--- wow, great hilly long run.  Love finishing off a run with a nice drink!  Enjoy that apricot smoothy!

Damaris-- Yay@ you being a forum ho!  I think most of us really enjoy seeing everyone's pictures.  It takes a certain amount of guts to put yourself out there, and without it these forums wouldn't work.  BTW, you're definitely NOT a ho...now if you start inflicting your nudies on us, I will be changing my tune, and staging an intervention.

Jerry-- glad you're at least able to walk with no pain.  Hopefully you'll be back to running in a few days.

Scotty-- that sounds like quite the run.  Not sure if I'd find that enjoyable, but I'm glad you felt good during it. Now that cold shower afterwards....ahhh, now that sounds nice!  And yup, my hubby spoils me to death, Scotty.  He thinks he's always trying to keep me, but truth be told, he couldn't get rid of me if he wanted.

Coralie-- Sad @ the hamstring pain.  At least you got in some good miles before it reared up.  Hope the stretching helps.

I went ahead and drove higher into the mountains after I checked in earlier today.  I ran 6-1/2 and saw my first bear in the wild!  Thankfully although the area is pretty secluded another couple was there, and warned me, so I was on the look out for him.  I followed him just a bit, before he turned around and looked at me.  Decided I'd seen enough!  I was very excited to have seen him though.

Damaris

SheCan

Cherie - hurray for seeing the bear!  I'm surprised with all your trail running that you haven't had that pleasure before.

Scotty - I've had hikes where I prayed for the rain to fall, just to cool me off.  In your case, you were not entirely successful at that, but I'm glad you had fun.

Ginny, I think I'm just mostly unobservant.  I might notta seen him had that couple not warned me right before.

It was a black bear.  No mean ol grizzlies around here.

I've prayed for that rain too, but I still can't say I like it when it rains hard while running.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - Once I get into phase 2, the program regularly rotates 70, 80, 90, 100 percent of peak mileage.  So, it's kind of like constant cutbacks...lol  I think you're right though.  For phase 1, I might want at least one lower mileage week as a break in the action.

Ginny - I should find another Vet.  We starting taking him to this one, when he was a puppy because he seems to be well respected.  My parents and I have taken a lot of animals to this place over the years.  For some reason though, I call for an appointment and tell them specifically that I want to see a different doctor.  They assure me that I'll see someone else.  I get there, and he walks in the room.  He won't let it go.  He has to be the one to see my dog every time.  Then, he insists on telling me that because my dog is part shar pei, he's going to snap some day and eat someone's face (or something stupid like that).  Then, he talks about how powerful he is because he's fit, and part husky.  To hear him tell it, he is the ultimate killing machine just biding his time.  I literally sat there and told him one day that people regularly pet him over the fence, he goes to Notre Dame tailgates, we have large parties at our house, we take him to parties, he's a hit with the people.  Then, he tells me that's great, but I should be careful allowing him around kids.  So, I show him a picture of a little girl using him as a pillow on the floor.  Doctor insists that it's only a matter of time.  Damn dog's a ticking time-bomb because he is part shar pei.  He's not a damn werewolf, you friggin' tool.  He's an adorable dog with a goofy personality that likes wearing a bow tie, and keeping your feet warm.  This idiot insists that I put a muzzle on him.  I'm the one he needs to worry about.  I apologize for the rant, but I'd love to bite that man.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Oh, and I'm probably going to be adding this race to my schedule this year.  It should be a perfect time for a fitness test before my marathon.

http://www.race-brewers.com/

I'm a Cubs fan, but I have friends in Milwaukee and this will be the 5th state I've raced in.  Then, I'm going to run a race in Washington AFTER my marathon to make it 6 states.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny - I should find another Vet.  We starting taking him to this one, when he was a puppy because he seems to be well respected.  My parents and I have taken a lot of animals to this place over the years.  For some reason though, I call for an appointment and tell them specifically that I want to see a different doctor.  They assure me that I'll see someone else.  I get there, and he walks in the room.  He won't let it go.  He has to be the one to see my dog every time.  Then, he insists on telling me that because my dog is part shar pei, he's going to snap some day and eat someone's face (or something stupid like that).  Then, he talks about how powerful he is because he's fit, and part husky.  To hear him tell it, he is the ultimate killing machine just biding his time.  I literally sat there and told him one day that people regularly pet him over the fence, he goes to Notre Dame tailgates, we have large parties at our house, we take him to parties, he's a hit with the people.  Then, he tells me that's great, but I should be careful allowing him around kids.  So, I show him a picture of a little girl using him as a pillow on the floor.  Doctor insists that it's only a matter of time.  Damn dog's a ticking time-bomb because he is part shar pei.  He's not a damn werewolf, you friggin' tool.  He's an adorable dog with a goofy personality that likes wearing a bow tie, and keeping your feet warm.  This idiot insists that I put a muzzle on him.  I'm the one he needs to worry about.  I apologize for the rant, but I'd love to bite that man.

He wants you to put a muzzle on a dog that's never show any signs of aggression?  I don't care how well-respected the vet is, there must be another competent vet in the town that's not such a doofus.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree.

He wants you to put a muzzle on a dog that's never show any signs of aggression?  I don't care how well-respected the vet is, there must be another competent vet in the town that's not such a doofus.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You guys are right.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost