Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Tuesday Computers and Bacon! (Read 22 times)

obiebyke

Happy birthday, Scotty! There was a downpour of freezing rain this morning but strangely the sidewalks were fine, even though cars were slipping. My activity streak is up to 2 days with 2 miles today.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

From the Internet.

Happy birthday Scotty!

The roads are crap and I'm not super interested in turning an ankle or getting hit by a car, so no running outside, and I'm not going to work today so no treadmill either. Hour or so of shoveling this morning, will do some strength stuff later just so I feel like I did *something* today. Also did a long run's worth of shoveling yesterday (2.5 hours). We've gotten over 6 feet of snow between January 26 and today. The snowbanks are now over my head. All this shovel cross-training has to count for something in fitness terms, right?

Was thinking of running a 10 mile race (just easy pace, nothing crazy) on Sunday in the next town over because it's not the treadmill and I will not be the only runner trying not to get hit by a car, but now it's supposed to snow Saturday night into Sunday, so maybe not :C Winter, please be over soon!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, that's a freakin' lot of snow!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK, Penguins - and sorry to the 'real winter' folks for this  - but what a GREAT birthday run/walk.  Got down to the San Antonio Riverwalk about 11 a.m., ended up doing 4 miles under BEAUTIFUL blue skies and lots of sunshine in a 68 degree temp, sweet.

And then afterwards, sat on the patio of the Blue Star Brewery with this view of perfect blue skies and this lovely house right across the river....

photo riverwalk birthday_zpsovrnkd4h.jpg

...and enjoyed a cold  "pale ale" lager...as I relaxed post run....loot at all that BLUE sky behind me...sweet!  Can't beat it for February!

photo Riverwalk scotty_zps6tir4spr.jpg

.what a nice way to end a run!  Beautiful weather, nice post-run drink...and made a couple new friends, as I chatted for a few minutes with one of the guys at the table next to me and found out he had lived in the town I grew up in.  Small world!

Really nice birthday run! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

This was yesterday, it snowed a few more inches after this and the piles are higher now. I'm 5'5 for reference. NO MORE SNOW PLS!

From the Internet.

Ahh, that sounds like a great birthday run Scotty! I'm just going to imagine I'm in SA as I sit here shivering, haha Smile

tracilynn

Holy cow at that snow Lauren! Wow just wow.

Happy Birthday Scotty. That lager looks mighty refreshing.

I did 7x 800s today ended w/ 6 Mi total.

Colder weather on the way here like highs in low 40 and lows in teens and down to 9° one night. Super cold for us.  No snow though.

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ahh, that sounds like a great birthday run Scotty! I'm just going to imagine I'm in SA as I sit here shivering, haha Smile

You are welcome any time, Lauren!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: One of these days I will join you for a beer at that place. That is totally my style... sitting outside, nice weather, cold beer.  Heck yes.

Lauren: Where do you live?

Traci: Nice run and hope the plan is working for you.  When is your HM and how are the shins?

From the Internet.

Jack - Massachusetts

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jack - Massachusetts

I have some friends in Harvard and they are getting slammed.

From the Internet.

I think they're one of the few areas in the state that got more than we did!

GinnyinPA

Lauren - shoveling definitely counts as cross training.  Just be careful.  I hope you get to run this weekend, because that will mean that the storm missed you.  Not many of the storms have missed you this year.  I thought I was ready for spring - you must be bouncing off the walls.

Scotty - I like dark ales better than pale ones, but next time we're in the area, I hope to join you there.

The sun came out, but with 10 mph winds, it didn't feel any warmer.  Wind across the snow makes for some cold air conditioning.  I did 5 miles, but brrrr.

tracilynn

Jack, I love the plan and I'm almost as fast as Ryan Hall now.  

The stupid rt shin is misbehaving. I'm stretching,  icing,  wearing compression 24/7 except when showering... just trying to keep it "runable" for 7 more weeks.  My rt piece of crap ITB is about the same. I have an ortho appt Friday and also PT after at a new place that is highly recommended. Hopefully I can make it to the start line (healthy and trained for once in my life) for my hilly hard Half on APRIL 4.  There is also a "flat fast easy" half on March  14 that I am not registered for but wanna run if I'm not injured even though I will only be 7/8 wks in to my plan but lines up with a 12mi LR that week so will run it as that.

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Traci, did I already ask you, which 3/14 half?

I ended with 6.5 miles and 7 x 800's.  My plan called for 8, but Bella almost tripped me in the middle of the 7th rep, and it took all my remaining energy. When I started the 8th, I just couldn't do it, so called it a day.