Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's WednesDAILY (Read 26 times)

Bin Running

Mel, cough is better but it's still there. I can sense it's weakening. Finger crossed.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

A quick check in for me.  Tonight I have 5 recovery miles in my new Asics Gels. The problem is the 105* heat. I will have to go out well after dark and it could still be in the upper 80s. As long as the heat lasts I may have to start dragging myself out of bed extra early to do my runs before work. I really can't stand the heat.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hope'sMom, yay for the run!

Bin, awww, thanks.  Hope the cough goes away.  If youj get another cold/cough like this in the next three months, check for asthma.

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

4 slow recovery miles yesterday followed by 6 slow recovery miles today, legs are feeling good tho.

Awood, my money is on you for that 10k! Smile  I have kind of a similar plan, but without the rivalry, after I do my marathon in the spring I want to focus on my 5k & mile speed, see what kind of damage I can do in the shorter distances next summer/fall.

Hope everyone is doing ok and having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

tracilynn

The humidity finally broke today and my run this morning felt 20 degrees cooler than yesterday!  Dewpoint was only 69!! Makes a huge difference.

Nice 4.1 miles and a 1:35 plank  Some stretching and rolling, and some sit ups.

Plank streak challenge ends in a week!  I cant wait to try Damaris's new sayonarras :-) ha

Mel, enjoy your mystery run tonight

Bin, glad the cough is finally going

Pad, 199 yay

Jerry, is your twerk ready?

Hello to everyone else

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The humidity finally broke today and my run this morning felt 20 degrees cooler than yesterday!  Dewpoint was only 69!! Makes a huge difference.

Nice 4.1 miles and a 1:35 plank  Some stretching and rolling, and some sit ups.

Plank streak challenge ends in a week!  I cant wait to try Damaris's new sayonarras :-) ha

Mel, enjoy your mystery run tonight

Bin, glad the cough is finally going

Pad, 199 yay

Jerry, is your twerk ready?

Hello to everyone else

Ha!  I am not even participating!

Damaris

tracilynn

All I want is the Sayanaros! And maybe a pair of HOKAs THATS IT.

You won't even miss them!Joking

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

All I want is the Sayanaros! And maybe a pair of HOKAs THATS IT.

You won't even miss them!Joking

This is true ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Sloooow.

Afternoon, all.

Hope you are having a great day, Jerry!

Docket, hope the allergy shot went well/goes well. It's dust mites that you are allergic to, right? I have a dust allergy, but only bad enough it makes me sneeze a lot when I clean. Still have to clean, boo.

Awood, hope you figure out your running plan. And, you can't weigh less than me!!! Thanks for the kick in the pants, hah.

Hey, PADrunner. Have fun with your new running gadget Smile

Bin, nice work on the 5. Fingers crossed your cough continues to clear up.

Scotty, that is a nice dew point! That sounds like a pretty cool run to me. We went to the San Antonio zoo when we visited, it was beautiful.

Zelanie, congrats on the plank, and good luck on the mystery work-out!

HopesMom, good job on getting some C25K done. VFF are strange looking "shoes" though!

Jack, 105F heat is definitely a problem. I bet cooler weather can't come soon enough for  you. Stay safe in the dark.

Dave, a 10 mile day doesn't sound like recovery to me :P Have a wonderful day!

Traci, glad you got a break in the humidity. It does make so much difference.

Heat index is 98 with a 72 DP. I don't really need to say, but today was a treadmill run. And it's still 77F in the house, blech. 5.2 miles done @ a sweaty and slow 11:45. My last week ended up being short as I skipped my Sunday run. My oldest dislocated my youngests' elbow, so it was a worthy skip day!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Of course I would miss them.  I know where every shoe is!

Corali, yes, dust and dustmites.  I am a WTF on the WTF scale (probably a 4 or 5 or 4.5 of 5).  There was a mini dust/sand storm during the LV Marathon and I got an anaphylactic asthma attack at Mile 9, 2 miles after the storm cloud.  So, yes, I wish it was only sneezing.

Damaris

Sloooow.

Of course I would miss them.  I know where every shoe is!

Corali, yes, dust and dustmites.  I am a WTF on the WTF scale (probably a 4 or 5 or 4.5 of 5).  There was a mini dust/sand storm during the LV Marathon and I got an anaphylactic asthma attack at Mile 9, 2 miles after the storm cloud.  So, yes, I wish it was only sneezing.

That sounds absolutely miserable Sad I'm about a 9 on the sneeze scale, I sneeze over 100 times a day, but I'd take that any day over yours! Good grief. I'm guessing that's the only way that Miami is a benefit, because it's humid rather than dry and dusty.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, dustmites live in humid weather too.  She wants me to buy a dehumidifier.

Talking about dustmites, I am coughing so I might just take my SRD today,  We'll see when I get home.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for starting us off, Jerry!  Glad you can run again.

Good luck with the miles, Damaris.  Hope it's getting cooler for you.

Safe road trip, Awood!

Enjoy the new toy, PAD!

Way to go on the miles, Bin.  Glad your cough is dissipating.

Good luck with the track work tonite, Zelainie.  Enjoy the run with your RP.

Yeah, HsM, Hawaii was tough, cuz I don't like pineapples either.  So Gail just had to eat all that stuff for me. Joking   Sorry you are still having knee issues!

Jack, you can get used to the heat  - altho I would not recommend running in 105, if that's the actual temp!  Anyway, you just have to acclimatize to it a little at a time, build up gradually.  Run in the morning when it's cooler.  After work, start walking  take a walk after work when it's hotter, maybe a mile, do that for a few days, a week or so, then start adding a bit of running, do some run/walk, and build that up to a complete run.  You can acclimatize, it just takes a bit of time.  However, after you do get acclimatized, don't go crazy...even when you are acclimatized, sometimes the temp is still too high to get out there safely, so use common sense.   Enjoy those new shoes!

Glad your weather is behaving, Traci!

My oldest dislocated my youngests' elbow.  Jeez, Coralie...talk about sibling rivalry!   You wimped out and ran on the TM when the heat index was only 98?  Wink   Just kidding!  It's all about what you're used to.   Now, down here in Hell..er, Texas.... Joking

Damaris, you're not supposed to EAT the dustmites!  Wink  Now, bugs on the other hand....why is it that when I'm running with my mouth a little open, flying bugs seem to think the inside of my mouth is a landing deck for them?  GAAACK!  Had to cough up and spit one out this morning...YUK!   Sorry about the coughing, sneezing, etc.  Hope you feel better!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Amazonian Princess

Hello!

1:39 plank last night at the end of our session with the trainer - shooting for 2:00 by the 12th Smile

I keep going back and forth trying to decide if I'm going to continue struggling to run faster or run longer or just run/walk. I've found that with run/walk I can go further, do it two days in a row, do it twice in a day, and I'm not anywhere near as achy. I Googled run/walk and peeked at training plans and I'm considering focusing on that method. But, then I think maybe it's just the heat making me miserable and I should keep plugging away and accept slow and achy.

My biggest concern with going to run/walk would be whether I could eventually ramp up to running without breaks if I always train with breaks (as it is, if I hear a microwave ding, I have the urge to start walking!) Opinions?

I can. I will. I am. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Bacon, you can absolutely do whatever makes you happy.  If you want to run further and more often and run/walk gets you there, then by all means run/walk.  If you find that the walk breaks mess up your rhythm and they're distracting, then work towards minimizing the breaks until you're running non-stop.  But neither method is the be-all, end-all of running, it's just whatever works best for you!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.