Beginners and Beyond

Week 50 Penguins stand tall as a mountain!! (12/09-12/15) (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi!  Sorry I didn't start it yesterday.  Was too swamped in court and also driving with a car that had a service engine light and I was freaking out, lol.  Ran 6 outside last night.  I have Pilates and 7.

How was your weekend, Hope?

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Penguins!!  It's International Mountain Day, for what it's worth.  Hey, I liked it better than National Noodle Ring Day.  What is a noodle ring, anyway?

So we had snow, and enough to close down the university yesterday.  Which made it a little complicated for my new hire -- first day, and no coming to work!  Still, she's here now and getting her new computer set up, so it's all good.  DH drove me in to work in case we slid somewhere and I needed muscle to push me out, but we didn't have any problems.  Ended up with about six inches of snow at home, more like 9-11 here at work.  And the show goes on!

Yoga, check.  I suspect I will not be biking this week -- I suspect they plowed all the snow right into my bike lane.  We didn't come in that way, but I'll check it out tomorrow.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins all!!  Skipped yoga this morning, but drove past my usual bike lane on the way in.  Yeah, it's going to be next week before I can bike again.  Just too much snow and ice piled up.  Ah well.  Not too many days left before winter closing on Dec 21st, so I'm hoping I can get all my work done.  We'll see!  New tech made it through an entire day yesterday, which puts her one up on my previous attempt at a tech.  I think she'll work out fine.

GinnyinPA

HM - I'm glad your new tech is working out so far. Are the sidewalks cleared on campus? Maybe you can walk at lunch instead of riding your bike?

I have a short run later. ATM we're waiting for the new stove to arrive sometime this afternoon. It was supposed to be here last week but didn't arrive at the store until yesterday. Now we get to figure out how to get it up the stairs.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 8 with 4 X 800m.  Didn't run last night.

HopesMom, yay for the new tech.  Hoping you can bike again soon.

Ginny, enjoy the run later.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Aaand, the water is off in my building due to a burst water main nearby.  Can't work in the lab because eyewash stations don't work with no water.  I've set up a database search, and I'm going to head home now.  Sheesh!

GinnyinPA

D - I hope the intervals go well.

HM - what happened to the water? Frozen? Enjoy your short day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Could've been frozen, but it could've also just been old.  Infrastructure around here is pretty ancient.  Still, they got it fixed and working again, with the water turned on around 9 this morning, so woo-hoo for that!  Six more working days before winter break!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Got an asthma attack on my second of four intervals so I jogged back home and ran 6 total.  I get to retry that interval workout today on the TM.  Not breathing well but nothing too bad either.  I just can't seem to be able to run intervals or fast 5K paces outside (maybe the short ones but not the longish ones).

Hope, glad they got it fixed.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

D - I hope today's attempt at intervals went better.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, folks!  So, are y'all ready for Christmas?  I will admit that we finished our Christmas shopping yesterday, haven't wrapped a thing, and certainly haven't shipped our gifts to DH's family in Washington.  It'll be a busy weekend!  This is cheesecake weekend too, so I'll be making the Christmas cheesecake and popping it into the freezer.  My mom asked for chocolate, so it'll be a sort of turtle cheesecake -- chocolate with a caramel topping, and walnuts around the edge.  Then on Sunday DH and I are lighting the advent candle at the early service (no biggie, they write out the script for you) and then the choir is doing our cantata at the second and third services.  Tis the season!

Yoga this morning took a backseat to lunch prep and figuring out what cheesecake I was making and getting the ingredients on the grocery list.  My mat is calling to me ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 8 miles tonight.

HopesMom, we don't buy many gifts and fortunately my mom and in-laws appreciate money more so sending them some with other stuff.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

We bought our first present last night. One down, 5 to go. Most of the grandkids will end up with gift cards, since they're teenagers. I still haven't decided about my dad. I usually end up sending a food type gift since they don't need more stuff in their small apartment. Jim and I aren't really doing presents to each other, since a) we buy ourselves what we need, and b) this has been a very expensive month between tires, car battery, and new stove.

Enjoy your cheesecake baking.

D - good luck with your 8 and Pilates tonight. I wish I had the energy to do more cross-training. I know I need it, given how achy my body is most of the time these days.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ran after work yesterday and the wind was crazy, up to 30 mph gusts.  I pretty much took it each and ran on the campus of the university where i work, using the buildings as wind-blocks whenever I could.  Pretty nice temp, in the low 50s, but that wind made it feel a bit chillier.  I did okay and ended up with 3.6 miles done.

This weekend I have 3 races coming up and that will give me a total of 90 races done for the year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt