Beginners and Beyond

All Hallows Eve DAILIES (Read 37 times)

DavePNW

The Halloween candy carb load worked!  I ran a 25sec PR today at the Spinx Runfest 5k, my 18:32 was good enough for 3rd place male, and 5th overall.

NICE! I forget whether it was Pfitz or Hansons who recommended the Halloween candy carb load diet.

Dave

DavePNW

I try not to take bad runs too seriously during taper.

No. EVERYTHING must be taken seriously during taper.

Dave

DavePNW

Oh and FS - nice 5k last night!

I also agree with the others that it is not worth stressing about getting to 200. But I totally understand it.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Continuing my streak of training harder than I race, I ran a 10k today in "good thing my log is private" time. It was 2 loops of a golf course, so tiny rolling hills the whole time, so when I hit a monster hill at 2.6 and knew I'd see it again, my legs just said FTS. I did get 2nd in my AG and nice bling.

Nice job on the AG placement!  Please tell us about this "bling."

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

The Halloween candy carb load worked!  I ran a 25sec PR today at the Spinx Runfest 5k, my 18:32 was good enough for 3rd place male, and 5th overall.

Holy crap, that is a large chunk of time, let alone at that speed.  Awesome job!!

Settled in for the day now, and waiting for the annual Arrival of the Beggars.

<3

Cyberic

Great job D2!

Cyberic

Aren't your numbers in the 200's?

It's a big deal because

1. I have OCD like that, if I am that close to a round number than I want to reach that number.

2. It's been a big envious goal of mine, and I know as winter looms closer and closer that chance to reach 200 will be next to impossible.

Then again, looking at my log... a jump like that in mileage might be just plain stupid...........

Round numbers mean nothing come race day. The difference between 193 and 200 is the same as between 171 and 178.

If you had 200 miles for the month, and the opportunity to run one more day, would you skip that run to keep it at 200?

Round numbers mean nothing.

LRB

But I like to give advice (relevant or not, does not matter) while sitting on my butt with no pressure whatsoever 

After that shellacking you put on Montreal, you have earned it soothsayer.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just got back from the CSAC XC Championships a short time ago. Had a fantastic time watching the young ladies from Immaculata finish a strong second placing 3 in the top 10 and all 7 in the top 25. I didn't wait for the men's team scores and it was too strung out to tell just from watching the finishers, but Immaculata's top runner took second for the men.  And according to Mr. Garmin I ran 5.4 miles of what I'll loosely describe as fartlek while at the meet.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

No. EVERYTHING must be taken seriously during taper.

Seriously dude, I'm in fragile state here FFS. You're gonna push me over the edge.

LRB

Yeah, I'm on a 2-year streak of can't really race. I am sure it's all mental.

I wouldn't say it's all mental. You have had to build yourself back up physically after your first marathon, that was real. I have had a similar trek after Detroit last fall.

Marathon training combined with the race is tougher than we sometimes our willing to acknowledge, either consciously or subconsciously. You're a very intuitive runner though, and no doubt will eventually figure out this training/racing puzzle.

Zelanie

Nice job on the AG placement!  Please tell us about this "bling."

Medal that comes with a blinking light and a pin for the AG award. I had to wait through the most inept awards announcer guy ever. Most people just gave up and interrupted him and asked for their bling. Sometimes he would space out and not announce anything at all. Sometimes he would read random names without saying which category he was reading. And he would get the pages out of order and switch randomly between the 5, 10, and 15k. I actually waited my turn and he eventually said my name. He looked shocked that somebody would come up after hearing their name,  I think I was the first person to do that.

Also my official time seems to be gun time and not chip time. Not cool since they started us in waves because of the narrow sidewalk.

Also, by "eat right" they apparently mean "nacho bar" if the post race food is any indication.

onemile

Round numbers mean nothing come race day. The difference between 193 and 200 is the same as between 171 and 178.

If you had 200 miles for the month, and the opportunity to run one more day, would you skip that run to keep it at 200?

Round numbers mean nothing.

Yep. My log is 269.7 this month. I couldn't be bothered to care to run an extra .3.  What I care about is running a good race next Saturday.

onemile

Medal that comes with a blinking light and a pin for the AG award. I had to wait through the most inept awards announcer guy ever. Most people just gave up and interrupted him and asked for their bling. Sometimes he would space out and not announce anything at all. Sometimes he would read random names without saying which category he was reading. And he would get the pages out of order and switch randomly between the 5, 10, and 15k. I actually waited my turn and he eventually said my name. He looked shocked that somebody would come up after hearing their name,  I think I was the first person to do that.

Also my official time seems to be gun time and not chip time. Not cool since they started us in waves because of the narrow sidewalk.

Also, by "eat right" they apparently mean "nacho bar" if the post race food is any indication.

Nice. Congrats Zel.

Zelanie

Yep. My log is 269.7 this month. I couldn't be bothered to care to run an extra .3.  What I care about is running a good race next Saturday.

I did just run .1 around my car to get to a round number for the month.