Beginners and Beyond

Just another Reminder to try and Hit the Trails (Read 82 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.14news.com/story/24587053/man-killed-in-deadly-early-morning-hit-and-run

I was actually on my way to the trails this morning when I saw 8 cop lights or sheriffs on the road to the trails, I had to turn around and find a different route but I figured it was something like a robbery or huge wreck. Sad  just makes me more determined to hit the trails, people are assholes.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

http://www.14news.com/story/24587053/man-killed-in-deadly-early-morning-hit-and-run

I was actually on my way to the trails this morning when I saw 8 cop lights or sheriffs on the road to the trails, I had to turn around and find a different route but I figured it was something like a robbery or huge wreck. Sad  just makes me more determined to hit the trails, people are assholes.

I don't have any trails so I'm fucked.  And Miami drivers try to kill me a lot.  Sad about the man.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, he was just trying to get some gas after his car ran out of it Sad

I don't have any trails so I'm fucked.  And Miami drivers try to kill me a lot.  Sad about the man.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am really appalled that a city the size of Miami has no public parks with trails, greenway trails that connect the city parks (like San Antonioo now has), etc.  I really like your year-round temps, Damaris - yes, I like it hot! - but from what you've described over the years in this forum of your running location choices there, I would not want to live there.  I need the wide variety that San Antonio offers me!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am really appalled that a city the size of Miami has no public parks with trails, greenway trails that connect the city parks (like San Antonioo now has), etc.  I really like your year-round temps, Damaris - yes, I like it hot! - but from what you've described over the years in this forum of your running location choices there, I would not want to live there.  I need the wide variety that San Antonio offers me!

City parks?  Greenway trails?  You must be joking!  None of that here.  Closest "trail" is close to one hour away (2 in rush hour) in Broward and it is all concrete one mile loop and made atop an old landfill.

We have dog parks and parks for BBQ.  Just nothing to run in.

Damaris

City parks?  Greenway trails?  You must be joking!  None of that here.  Closest "trail" is close to one hour away (2 in rush hour) in Broward and it is all concrete one mile loop and made atop an old landfill.

What kind of loony would want to run in that weather?

Dave

PADRunner

Plenty of golf courses!

Love the Half

So some guy gets hit by a drunk drive at 2:00 a.m. and that implies that it is dangerous to run along the roads at any time.  People get raped and murdered on trails.  They get hit by cars on the road.  Life is full of risks.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

So some guy gets hit by a drunk drive at 2:00 a.m. and that implies that it is dangerous to run along the roads at any time.  People get raped and murdered on trails.  They get hit by cars on the road.  Life is full of risks.

This^ Its like saying you are going to avoid shopping in all malls for fear of a shooting etc. etc. Hell, I was close to the finish line at the marathon in Boston and you think I'm going to avoid going back. Hell no. When its your time to go. Its your time to go. Don't let fear control the decisions you make.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

happylily

Try and hit the TM. It's much safer than the trails, you know.

( yeah, yeah, I know. You're a child of nature who likes to talk to birds, like Snow White did in the woods. It was just a joke, Andrea. )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have YET to hear of anybody getting raped or murdered on the trails in my area, but I constantly have close calls when running on the road thank you very much LTH. Every time I run the roads I have to jump to the side at least 6 times in one hour because of some asshole who either isn't paying attention, didn't see me, or just doesn't give a flying fuck. So  yes, it does imply that it is dangerous to run along the roads AT ANY TIME. I feel 10x safer on the trails than I do on the road.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I expect this from you Julie , but it annoys me hearing from other people "who cares, blah blah blah". Like I said, I enjoy the trails but I do run on roads but I feel a lot safer on the trails then I do on the roads. Plus my running buddy is a dog, which again makes trails a lot safer than roads (and I don't know if he would enjoy a treadmill).

I have a son to think of, so while trying to enjoy running and life I also try to avoid the obvious, and around my area you have more chance of being ran over by a car, school bus or semi than you do being raped or murdered on the trails.

( yeah, yeah, I know. You're a child of nature who likes to talk to birds, like Snow White did in the woods. It was just a joke, Andrea. )

PRs

Nevrgivup

I have YET to hear of anybody getting raped or murdered on the trails in my area, but I constantly have close calls when running on the road thank you very much LTH. Every time I run the roads I have to jump to the side at least 6 times in one hour because of some asshole who either isn't paying attention, didn't see me, or just doesn't give a flying fuck. So  yes, it does imply that it is dangerous to run along the roads AT ANY TIME. I feel 10x safer on the trails than I do on the road.

I guess it depends on where you live too. I live in the country and I may see at most 5 or 6 cars go by during an hour run, so I'm pretty lucky. I would definitely be hitting the trails or the treadmill if I lived in a thickly settled area where there may be a lot of traffic. I don't know how people run in big cities.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My area is known for your typical assholes, Evansville is not a friendly place - especially not when people driving are headed to work in the wee hours of morning, it's almost like they hate me when they see me out running (they probably do) and the far east side of Evansville is probably worse which is where some of my road routes touch. These people really don't care if you're doing your best to stay as far to the side as you can, and the area around my house isn't really a city, but can't really call it the country side - speed limits are 35-40 and most drive 50-60. I try to run as early as I can to avoid those grumpy people, but then I have to deal with the hope that they see me (even with blinky stuff).

I guess it depends on where you live too. I live in the country and I may see at most 5 or 6 cars go by during an hour run, so I'm pretty lucky. I would definitely be hitting the trails or the treadmill if I lived in a thickly settled area where there may be a lot of traffic. I don't know how people run in big cities.

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Not for me it isn't, lol.  I tend to go flying off the darn TM when I try and use it.  It really does throw out of whack the other runners on the nearby treadmills when they get whacked by a flying Scottydog. Tends to upset them too..and the gym staff as well! 

I better just stick to roads and trails.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt