Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday: Half off all bottles of wine day 🍷 (Read 36 times)

KCRuns

I have never used the thumb holes in my sleeves, ever.  If my hands need warmth, I wear gloves, and I'll always err on the side of wearing them vs not wearing them.

I also wear gloves.  Many of my winter running shirts have longer sleeves with the thumb holes and the end of the sleeve folds over my hand, so if it's really cold, I can have a double layer.  But at a minimum, I have my gloves and the sleeve with thumb holes over my palm that helps keep me warm.  If I get too warm, I can put my gloves in my pocket and just use the thumb holes or foldover part of the sleeve when needed or if I hit a colder pocket of air.

I have worn my watch under the sleeve before and have had the sleeve catch on the button and pause my watch while running, which is frustrating when I get to the end of my run and the data is missing.  I also find it difficult to pause my watch if it's under the sleeve (especially when wearing layers) and I'm wearing gloves.  So that's the main reason I now wear it on top.  That and it's easier to see at a glance.

DavePNW

Dave

onemile

My favorite NB shirt has built in mittens

I won't buy a LS running shirt or jacket without thumbholes

DavePNW

I have never used the thumb holes in my sleeves, ever.  If my hands need warmth, I wear gloves, and I'll always err on the side of wearing them vs not wearing them.

This. Although I only own one garment with thumb holes. And my watch is always against my skin, but I don’t have a wrist HRM. Or any HRM. So I really have nothing to contribute here.

Dave

RunningOnSand

My favorite NB shirt has built in mittens

I won't buy a LS running shirt or jacket without thumbholes

is this the hooded one you were talking about a couple weeks ago?

sdWhiskers

Day 3 of no running. The plan is to wait until the weekend before trying a short jog. The quads feel a lot better today though. I did short bike ride around the neighborhood to look at Christmas lights last night and that was fine.

Looking to plan a Spring of 5k and 10k races, with a few fun HMs thrown in to keep the mileage up. I think from a mental perspective, one marathon per year is enough.

onemile

This. Although I only own one garment with thumb holes. And my watch is always against my skin, but I don’t have a wrist HRM. Or any HRM. So I really have nothing to contribute here.

Opinions from people who don't have a true winter don't count. Sorry.

LRB

When the layers start layering deep in the winter, I wear my watch on my jacket sleeve up near the forearm and away from the girth of my gloves, so the HRM would be completely useless to me for two or three months out of the year.

sdWhiskers

+1

I don't need long sleeves or mittens very often. I do really like the Scosche HR arm band if anyone is interested.

sdWhiskers

LOL

I will be in Maine for 10 days in December so I'm reading all this for tips

onemile

is this the hooded one you were talking about a couple weeks ago?

yes. It's this one. (Except I paid $22 for it at Sierra Trading Post)

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/product/wt73220/wt73220osh

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

But I do own a lot of LSs with thumbholes!

Damaris

RunningOnSand

+1

I don't need long sleeves or mittens very often. I do really like the Scosche HR arm band if anyone is interested.

Do you guys know how much more accurate of a HRM it is than the Fenix 5? (I'm really hoping to get the Fenix for Christmas!)

Also, yes--the gloves/thumbhole thing is actually a problem for me. I always wear my Garmin 235 on my wrist, with gloves, but my wrist gets cold when it's really cold outside (even when there's the smallest amount of skin exposed, in sub zero temps, it gets cold fast). Although to be fair I haven't run in sub-zero temps since probably 2016. But this year I'm hoping to run more outside, and I think what I used to do is wear my watch, thumbhole layer on top of that so no skin is exposed, along with mittens & a coat. And then just look at the data later, but not while running.

RunningOnSand

yes. It's this one. (Except I paid $22 for it at Sierra Trading Post)

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/product/wt73220/wt73220osh

The kicker is that it was on sale there for a Black Friday special for like $36. Or somewhere in that ballpark.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

+1

Bert-o mentioned this too.  As it's an optical HRM, is it any better than a wrist-based optical HRM on a watch?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19