Beginners and Beyond

RR - Tacoma City Marathon, 5/1/16 (Read 54 times)

Executive Summary

3:33:30. Missed goal of BQ (3:30), but 7 min PR.

Marathons are still dumb.

Background

My 6th marathon. Previous attempts at 3:30:

1. Detroit, fall '14 - fell and injured my knee 9 days before the race; shut it down the final week. Finished at 3:40.
    2. Toledo, spring '15 - DNS due to unrelated knee injury.
    3. Skagit Flats, fall '15 - respiratory infection led to severe asthma attack 4 days before the race; shut it down the last few days. Finished at 3:42.

In both races I ran, I felt my training was pretty strong. In both cases I started at goal pace, and finished with big positive splits. No way to tell whether the injury/illness was a big factor, or I just didn't have the fitness, or some of both.

Training

Previously I used a Hansons-based schedule, with their quality workouts, but a bunch of extra miles including added long runs, and fast finish LRs the last time. Ended up at about 60-70mpw on 6 days. This time I decided to try Pfitz; used the 18/70 plan, and pretty much stuck to it as written. Some comments (long boring if you DGAF about marathon training):

• It focused a bit more on longer runs than I have in the past. Clearly I've had issues with endurance, so I figured it'd have to help.
    • Includes the famous MLRs - midweek runs of 12-15 miles, up to twice a week. They did not suck as much as I expected, even though I usually had to wake up at 4AM to get them in before work. Most of them ended up going pretty well, and at faster than expected pace. 
    • Replaces Hansons "Strength Intervals" (1-3 mile intervals at GMP-10 sec, which I could never quite figure out the exact benefit), with more traditional tempo runs - continuous miles at a pace between HM & 15k. This peaked at 12 miles w/7 tempo, which was quite a workout.
    • Easy days were really easy - often only 5 miles.
    • Includes a handful of doubles, which I had never really done before, and also did not hate as much as I thought. Adds some logistical complications, but achieves the intended benefit of adding miles with minimum stress (6mi AM / 4mi PM)
    • Only a handful of MP runs, peaking at the famous 18 w/14MP. I am used to an MP run every week, which I thought really helped develop the muscle memory of that pace. Although I guess if you are not in shape to maintain it for 26.2, it doesn't matter.
    • Builds in races, which I liked, since I have been racing a lot more than I used to.

It looked pretty brutal on paper, but didn't kill me, and if anything I felt a bit less beat up than previous training cycles. I would do it again, if I ever decide to run one of these stupid things again.

The Race

Pretty much all of my training has been in stereotypical PNW weather - 40-50 degrees (for pre-dawn runs) and intermittent drizzle. Of course race day was going to be warm and sunny. Fortunately started at 7AM, when it was about 50; expected to warm up to 78, but probably only low-mid 60's by the time I finished. But in full sun in the later miles, 60's can get kind of warm. (Laugh away, hot weather runners.)

I planned to go out at 7:50-7:55 pace, for a 3:27: xx finish, to try to get enough cushion to get into Boston. I wasn't too sure I had it, but decided there was only one way to find out.

Miles 1-12: Pretty uneventful. Who ever remembers the early miles of a marathon anyway. That big hill at mile 4-5 didn't seem as bad as it looks, probably because it was at mile 4. But it did slow me a bit.

1 - 7:52

2 - 7:45

3 - 7:54

4 - 8:06

5 - 8:05

6 - 7:48

7 - 7:50

8 - 7:53

9 - 7:59

10 - 7:53

11 - 7:45

12 - 7:51

13 - 7:57

First half split - 1:42:41, 7:50 avg (actually the mat was at 13 for some reason, even though there was a sign for 13.1)

Miles 14-21: This is where things started to slow down a bit. As I usually do, I blame the hills. Miles 13-19 were through Point Defiance Park, which is really nice. And the road was mostly tree-covered, so it was cool & shady. However it was pretty much continuous hills. Most were not too bad, but it's at the point in the race where they become more difficult to recover from, and you can't make up for them on the downhills. Somewhere in there I realized my goal was out the window.

14 - 8:12

15 - 8:17

16 - 8:17

17 - 8:11

18 - 7:57

19 - 8:34

20 - 8:17

21 - 8:22

Mile 22-26.2: Hanging on. After coming out of Point Defiance Park around 19, I was feeling pretty fatigued. (I specifically recall my first f-bomb uttered when looking at the pace on my watch at 18.64.) The remainder is through the city, which was generally pretty flat, but in full sun. It got pretty ragged. I will say that compared to the last two marathons, the pace change was not as severe (hey, I kept it under 9:00!), and I felt a bit more in control. But that was all I had.

22 - 8:45

23 - 8:57

24 - 8:42

25 - 8:55

26 - 8:41

0.2 - 6:55 (ha)

Second half split - 1:50:49, 8:28 avg (8 min positive)

Finish time: 3:33:30, 8:09 avg

OA: 42/462

AG 4/31 - Awards were 5 deep, woo hoo! So I will apparently get something, whenever they decide to mail it to me.

Not the way you want to finish a race (although I don't know any other way), but I feel pretty good about the PR and AG placing. And while I'm definitely sore, I don't feel like I completely destroyed myself like I did the last two times.

Postmortem

Marathoning is hard, and BQing is even harder. This was a tough course I guess, but it's pretty difficult to get everything all lined up together - course, weather, physical condition, and any other extenuating circumstances. I'm not sure what it'll take for me to get there. Maybe just another cycle, or maybe not. I'd certainly like to get it, but it's not life or death. For now I'd like to take some time to focus on shorter distances for a while, then we'll see.

Dave

Cyberic

Getting everything aligned perfectly is definitely the hard part: course, weather, health and a good cycle. Hills are a killer. Each hill drains a little of your energy until you have nothing left. That is my opinion on the stupid things, anyways.

I share your opinion on the Hansons strength runs. I was doing them at mp-15 to mp-20 this last cycle and still didn't know what I was trying to achieve with them. Pfitz looks very hard to me, but seems to work well.

You made it through this cycle like a boss, and ran a huge PR. Congratulations, Dave.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the AG placing and PR. I think that course looks pretty brutal, to me hills and sun/heat are an awful combination. Putting that at the end of a marathon is just plain cruel. Yesterday you mentioned the positive split, my uneducated opinion is that a negative split on that course would potentially leave time on the first half. To knock several minutes off your PR says your fitness has improved.

on my way to badass

I think if I had run a marathon it would be days(a week?) before I turned out a RR like that.

Wonderful PR and AG award!  You are so close to that BQ.  I am conflicted about encouraging you to press on, or declare marathons are stoopid.  Can you look for a race that is flatter?

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

That's a damn good race!  A PR is a great thing.

Runner with a riding problem.

delicate flower

Nice job, DaveP!  Right around top 10% in both AG and OA...nothing too shabby about that at all!  You are so close....BQ is right there, man.   One Pfitz cycle got you a 7 minute PR.  Another Pfitz cycle and you'll kill it.  Don't underestimate how much the late race hills and heat took out of you, particularly if you have not been running in any warmer weather lately.    

BQ your next marathon, then I'll be BQ mine, and the Boston 2018 FE will be the greatest ever.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congrats on the PB.  You took a calculated risk that didn't quite pan out. The course doesn't look too bad, and those late hills will give you a sense of what Boston is like once you do get your BQ.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Well done, Dave. It sounds like you ran a good race, but that sun can be brutal even if it's not exactly "hot." A seven minute PR is awesome so screw the 8 minute positive split, that means nothing. How was the crowd support?  Recover nicely and get some PRs at the other distances.

music_girl117

A PR is a great thing.

Says the guy whose initials are PR. 

Like I said on the team page, you did awesome Dave.  You seriously crushed that PR and I'm sure you have the BQ in you.  I bet if you rest up, enjoy the shorter distances for awhile, then get back to it in the fall or next spring you will get it.  congrats again! 

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

onemile

You probably would have gotten your BQ on a flat course, cool day.  And while you can't control 100% what race day gives, there are a lot of things you can do to increase your odds of having fast conditions. This is why I have run IMM so many times.  November race has a better chance of being cold than Chicago or Milwaukee which are both closer.  It's also pancake flat.

Anyway, you had a big PR so congrats for that! And you will get the BQ soon. Are you planning to run a fall marathon?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job, Dave!  I think your time is very good considering that elevation.  That looks almost as brutal as the Pig I ran yesterday (no BQ or PR attempt for me, thankfully).  Chin up!  Your current training shows improvement as compared to prior ones.  You will get your BQ!

Damaris

LRB

I think it's normal to be disappointed in falling short of your goal, especially when you invest as much time and effort as we do with running. You are still improving though (your training paces and race times confirm this), so the final chapter in your book has yet to be written. Imagine then looking back someday and seeing an hour improvement between your first marathon and your last (hey, I said IMAGINE!). To use a baseball analogy; swing for the fences, then if you end up on third base instead, well dammit, that's all right too.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

You put a lot of time and effort into this cycle as noted from the dailies.  Do not be discouraged.  I wanted to offer one thought although keep in mind you have more marathon experience than I.

When running up a hill we tend to try an keep even effort.  I get that and it is not that hard.  Shorter strides, controlled breathing, not pushing off the back foot as much, etc.  Our paces decrease accordingly.  Where I differ with many is on the downhills.  I was a pretty good HS runner and would make up huge times on the downhills.  In my last marathon this worked perfectly for me (see I am laying down my few credentials, lol).  At the crest of the hill we slow down, catch our breath and try to get back to normal rhythm.  To the opposite I open my stride up, thus covering more ground with the same cadence.  I try to bounce a little to let gravity pull me.  Thus I end up covering the downside faster, with fewer steps eventually my breathing slows down.  Common technique is to try and bring your breathing down immediately at the crest.

Would that have helped you?  Dunno.  I suggest that you might have picked up 1min or so by pushing it a bit harder on the downhills.  Its mental but I think it might help.

Gratz again, perhaps concentrate on some 5 & 10ks over the summer to help speed, and ramp up for a fall BQ.  Its in you.

outoftheblue

Not a BQ, but a fantastic job nonetheless.  A 7 min PR is awesome, especially with a hilly course and sub-optimal weather.   And, very, very nice to finish in the awards as well!

It looks like you trained as hard as you could and raced as hard as you could.  Well done!

Life is good.

workinprogress11

Nice job, DaveP!  Right around top 10% in both AG and OA...nothing too shabby about that at all!  You are so close....BQ is right there, man.   One Pfitz cycle got you a 7 minute PR.  Another Pfitz cycle and you'll kill it.  Don't underestimate how much the late race hills and heat took out of you, particularly if you have not been running in any warmer weather lately.    

BQ your next marathon, then I'll be BQ mine, and the Boston 2018 FE will be the greatest ever.

All of this except for me BQing.