Beginners and Beyond

Raising the Bar MonDAILIES (Read 36 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Yeah, I totally don't get the cheating thing, there wasn't even money on the line, the AG awards were plastic beer pitchers.  Just speaks to their character in general, imo.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

bluerun

Super B****

People do that? 

I do.  (Well, they happen to be races I would do anyway.  I doubt I'd go to a lot of trouble to do a race I wouldn't otherwise want to do JUST because I knew I'd be able to win.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In yesterday's race results, I am listed as 4th out of 11 in the "MUSATF-Open" category. My interpretation of that division is men's USATF runner unaffiliated with a team. I did list my running club when I registered but I am not a member of their race team, just an at-large member, thus the "open" classification I'm guessing. Am I interpreting that correctly?  I figured someone (George, Jay, Slymoon?) might know.

Open category is 18-39 vs Youth (under-18) and Masters (40+).

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

I do.  (Well, they happen to be races I would do anyway.  I doubt I'd go to a lot of trouble to do a race I wouldn't otherwise want to do JUST because I knew I'd be able to win.)

I have a good mix of events where in some I can compete for bling if I have a good race and others where I will not place in the top 50 to 100 no matter what I run. lol

Those events are important to me though as I like to race with the runners who are really, really good.

LRB

Yeah, I totally don't get the cheating thing, there wasn't even money on the line, the AG awards were plastic beer pitchers.  Just speaks to their character in general, imo.

Or lack of character. Or something that's missing in general.

Baboon

delicate flower

Open category is 18-39 vs Youth (under-18) and Masters (40+).

It looks like there are 11 masters who scored for the open category.  Well, the first guy is 31.  Not sure what's up with that.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

Wife has re-upped for Ironman Mont-Tremblant next year.  It is tempting...very tempting...I mean, we'll be there anyway....

<3

LRB

Wife has re-upped for Ironman Mont-Tremblant next year.  It is tempting...very tempting...I mean, we'll be there anyway....

Welp, the moth just flew into the flame. lol

onemile

Welp, the moth just flew into the flame. lol

It was mesmerized by that giant golden medal.

LRB

Boon the IRONMAN.

Talk about glory, that's some shit I cannot even fathom.

Baboon

delicate flower

It was pretty inspiring to see all the people finishing.  The race itself requires so much planning and execution, and it seems like a really fun challenge.  I have no doubt I can do it, but my hesitation is committing to the training and the fact that it'll pretty much take up my entire 2016 year, derailing any real improvements with my running.  I'd still be able to do plenty of racing and a couple of marathons, but in all likelihood would be sacrificing any marathon PR's next year.  With the Ironman in August, I'm not even confident I'd be able to run my age 45 BQ time of 3:25 in October.  I don't know how big a hit my speed will take.  

<3

onemile

It was pretty inspiring to see all the people finishing.  The race itself requires so much planning and execution, and it seems like a really fun challenge.  I have no doubt I can do it, but my hesitation is committing to the training and the fact that it'll pretty much take up my entire 2016 year, derailing any real improvements with my running.  I'd still be able to do plenty of racing and a couple of marathons, but in all likelihood would be sacrificing any marathon PR's next year.  With the Ironman in August, I'm not even confident I'd be able to run my age 45 BQ time of 3:25 in October.  I don't know how big a hit my speed will take.  

But isn't the plan to secure your BQ this fall?

Baboon

delicate flower

But isn't the plan to secure your BQ this fall?

Yeah but you know those things can go, and I'm not exactly rocking this training cycle.

<3

adkkev

'boon ... is there any difference in Ironmans?  How does Mt. Tremblant compare to Lake Placid?  Just wondering ...

onemile

Yeah but you know those things can go, and I'm not exactly rocking this training cycle.

I wouldn't say that. You just have been prioritizing racing.  But you really only need a couple minutes.  When does Mont Tremblant fill up? Do you have time to decide?