Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES Word of the day (Read 44 times)

happylily

Thanks!  Big grin  And "word" should be subdued.  For example, someone says "Wow lily, you just ran 10 miles at 7:00 pace!  That was a great run!"  You say, "word."

If I ran 10 miles at 7:00 pace, I would expect nothing subdued about it.  

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

70F/66 dew point. Is that dewy enough to be humid?

No.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I mean, word!

7 miles tonight.  Maybe some speedwork if I feel my lungs can take it.  So far, I'm coughing so not very optimistic.

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

Happy anniversary, Baboon & MBC!

"Word" is NOT the response I got from DH this morning. After he spent the first 15 minutes we were awake listening to me cough, hack and blow my nose, he asked "Are you still going to run the race Saturday if you feel like this?"

Me: "Well, I'll probably do at least one loop. I'm going to Target today to find some Mucinex or something to break this up. And I'm taking it easy today - no running."

DH: "Alright."  (As a woman, I take the prerogative to interpret that not as "OK, that's great" but instead as "I don't like it, but I'm not going to start a fight about it because you won't listen to me anyway.")

That said - SRD. And meds. And prayers. Because a 50k with bronchitis doesn't sound fun.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Baboon

delicate flower

If I ran 10 miles at 7:00 pace, I would expect nothing subdued about it.  

Well in that case you can respond with an enthusiastic. "Fo' shizzle!"

<3

LRB

I am always curious as to how expressions were created. Saying "word" doesn't sound particularly enthusiastic... It should be "Word!!!!", no?

Boon explained it's meaning well but as to how it was created, it was originally a shortened form of (Word Up), a song by Cameo from the 80's.

Similar to "what up doe", "word" has found new life as it is used by old heads such as myself who were around when its use was popular.  You can generally tell here when a person grew up (what era) based on the terms they use.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Knee is feeling a lot better, that is good news but I still wonder if I should take tomorrow off too...  I will see how today goes and feels, then if everything feels good by the end of the day I might go for a 5-6 miler tomorrow.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning! I'm going to resist the urge to say Word to your mother.

Bartender, I'll have a double! Yessiree, I ran my first double yesterday. Yeah, I normally don't run twice (thusly why I haven't ran twice in one day before), but since DW and DD are gone I thought I'd give it a go. I ended up with 6 miles last night. Another 10 Easy miles this morning. All this running is cutting in to all of the other things I should be doing. Priorities, I guess.

- Andrew

LRB

Good one.  lol

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

After a few weeks at race season mileage it's time to work mpw back up. Amazing how perspective is relative , 60-70+ wasn't that big of a thing a few months back, but looking at it from 25-35 looks huge!

Zelanie

Then there's always "word to your mother."

Used my RD yesterday to start work on DH's birthday cake for this weekend.  Maybe use today's RD to buy sandals. Smile

Happy anniversary, Phil!

Zelanie

Oops.   Nice double, though!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Oops.   Nice double, though!

Great minds think alike. Big grin

Happy anniversary Baboon & MBC! I always imagine a Seinfeld episode titled "The Annual Exchanging of Cards".

- Andrew

LRB

Mmmmm...beer

I prefer word to your moms, particularly when dropping bombs. Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!