Beginners and Beyond

Choosing a 10K goal (Read 50 times)

Mmmmm...beer

That seems really aggressive to me... keeping in mind that until very recently, that was my 5K PR pace.  (And a hard-fought one at that!)

But now your 5k pace is 6:52, just have to accept that you're getting faster.   You can do it, gotta believe in yourself. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

Originally, I was planning to go out around 7:25-7:30... but unless it's a total soupy mess, maybe that IS too conservative.  7:20-7:25 for the first 5K, and then see what happens on the way back?

No, 7:19, which is already 11 seconds slower than what you would be shooting for in ideal conditions.

Another to keep in mind that your body (not your mind) might excel at this distance, and the 7:08 itself is actually conservative.

bluerun

Super B****

But now your 5k pace is 6:52, just have to accept that you're getting faster.   You can do it, gotta believe in yourself. 

Would you think I'm making it up if I said that I still think it's a fluke that I can apparently run a 5K in under 22:00?  Because I'm not.

No, 7:19, which is already 11 seconds slower than what you would be shooting for in ideal conditions.

Another to keep in mind that your body (not your mind) might excel at this distance, and the 7:08 itself is actually conservative.

Ah, hell... I've got another 10K in two weeks so if this one is a disaster because I listened to you, I can always try again!!  (Or not.  I'm running a 5K an hour before that 10K.)

Or maybe it will be so nasty out that I'll die on my way to the start and this won't be an issue!  (It's 6.5 miles and faster to run than take the subway.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

You crack me up! The body has a way of self-leveling during a 10k, so none of this will even matter once you are out there.

And it doesn't really suck right off that bat, it wears on you over distance. So there is no need to dread it so to speak. It doesn't hurt physically, it's a mental distress.

Mmmmm...beer

Would you think I'm making it up if I said that I still think it's a fluke that I can apparently run a 5K in under 22:00?  Because I'm not.

Do you think it was a short course?  I've had that happen on two occasions, very frustrating.  But if the course was legit, then you did it.  But I understand how you feel, the first time you break a barrier always feels like a fluke, until you back it up. 

-Dave

My running blog

bluerun

Super B****

You crack me up! The body has a way of self-leveling during a 10k, so none of this will even matter once you are out there.

And it doesn't really suck right off that bat, it wears on you over distance. So there is no need to dread it so to speak. It doesn't hurt physically, it's a mental distress.

If I thought of it as a HM that I just happened to stop running halfway through, I'd probably finish faster. 

Do you think it was a short course?  I've had that happen on two occasions, very frustrating.  But if the course was legit, then you did it.  But I understand how you feel, the first time you break a barrier always feels like a fluke, until you back it up. 

It wasn't -- I did it six times on three different courses!  If it was a fluke the first time, okay.  After the second time, okay.  But at some point I should probably accept that it's not a fluke!  I have issues, clearly. 

chasing the impossible

Mmmmm...beer

It wasn't -- I did it six times on three different courses!  If it was a fluke the first time, okay.  After the second time, okay.  But at some point I should probably accept that it's not a fluke!  I have issues, clearly. 

Ok, then you definitely have issues. LOL 

-Dave

My running blog

LRB

It took you awhile to get here but you're here, that's all that matters. Big grin

bluerun

Super B****

I'd be the first to admit that!

Now onto the really important decision... which shoes do I wear?! 

chasing the impossible

cjones1

As Mike Tyson once said, everybody has a plan till they get punched in the face.  Smile  In a 10k, that punch typically comes for me at mile 2.5 when I realize I am not running a 5k.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

LRB

As Mike Tyson once said, everybody has a plan till they get punched in the face.  Smile  In a 10k, that punch typically comes for me at mile 2.5 when I realize I am not running a 5k.

Especially on a double loop course. My God it's so hard not to run down that chute the first pass!

onemile

Especially on a double loop course. My God it's so hard not to run down that chute the first pass!

Almost every 10k around here is a double loop course. (I would choose the 5k option every time)

bluerun

Super B****

Almost every 10k around here is a double loop course. (I would choose the 5k option every time)

Shh!  The 10K I'm running in two weeks is a two-loop course of the 5K I am running the same day!!!

chasing the impossible

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

One of the reasons to hate the 10k, is the effort involved.  It has always been said to me that a proper 10k race is damn near 5k pace.  ie: it will suck damn near as much for 2x as long.

My 'good' but not PR 5k time x2 is right on my PR for a 10k.

My PR 5k time x2 is about 1 min faster than my 10k PR.

Which means, my pace differential between 5k and 10k  *provided* similar performance levels/ weather etc...  is around 8-11 seconds.

IE: fast enough to suck! nearly as bad for 2x as long...

LRB

My third mile is where the slowdown begins on those course because I am usually fighting with myself the entire mile!

Thankfully, there is really only one 10k on my schedule that is a double loop course, and it's coming up FFS. Last year, I ran most of it at MP. lol