Beginners and Beyond

HOT Hump Day Penguins (Read 30 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I don't know about where you are but it is getting hot early in Texas.   For my run/walk yesterday, the temp hit 91 degrees with a 'feels like" temp of 93.

photo sweat_zpsec594f95.jpg

I started at one of the San Antonio YMCAs and began my run/walk with the sun at my back.  Ran past the entrance to the Zoo and then onto the trails in the park by the Zoo so I would have lots of shade trees along my route.  Out of the park and went back on the park road that goes along the river....and has more shade trees.   My last half mile back to the Y was open to the sun and I admit by the time I was done I was feeling the warmth a bit.   Ended up with 3.2 miles and then did some post-run stretching and core exercises.   We don't usually get into the 90s around here until June.  If this keeps up I may have to become a morning runner for the season earlier than planned.

Our temps through the weekend...not too bad, but unusually hot for this time of year.  This does not bode well for what our summer temps will probably be like.....how many 100+ degree days will we get this summer?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Scott and Pengs.  Stay cool down there Scott.

Happy 100th Birthday Wrigley Field !!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good Morning Scott and Pengs.  Stay cool down there Scott.

Happy 100th Birthday Wrigley Field !!!!

And yet the Cubbies still can't manage to win...   ...maybe some of the players are approaching 100 too...

PADRunner

It's going to be warm here this week as well, upper 80's then cold again next week.

RD for running today and Cross at the gym tonight.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Never made it to they gym yesterday so I'll get there at some point today, running with friends again tomorrow. Probably should get some work done now so I actually have time for the gym later. Have a good day everyone!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jerry...why in the world would they give you a cortisone shot?  Just for the inflammation?   Per WebMD:  A cortisone injection can be a helpful treatment to reduce inflammation within the joint, but it will not help heal the meniscus tear.

You might ask your doc about a Synvisc injection.  These are 3 injections given over a 2-week period - and I won't lie to you, they hurt like hell going in!  However, the synvisc does help 'lubricate' the knee joint, which may help you get some relief.  I had one a few years ago after one of my knee surgeries.  It actually helped me quite a bit.  I have not yet had to have one again since that first one.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

most are approaching drinking age

And yet the Cubbies still can't manage to win...   ...maybe some of the players are approaching 100 too...

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Morning!  DD heads is headed to the airport in a bit with the robotics team!  I am going to run early with the girls on the run at my school, then work late, then hopefully run a few more.

Jerry- Sorry to hear about the shot. 

D- Congrats on winning the lottery, again!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Today should be a little calmer for me -- the dissertation defense was just fine, and the student passed pretty easily.  Now it's just more catching up on samples and reports.  Quartet is taking this week off, so no singing tonight.

Scotty -- I don't think we're out of the 70's this week, but the weather has been really weird this year.  Global warming at its finest!!

Jerryb -- good morning to you!!

PAD -- enjoy the gym tonight!!

Lauren -- have fun at the gym tonight!!

Awood -- good morning!!

Zelanie -- have a good double!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  7 miles or SRD, I have not decided.

Z, right?  If only the monetary lottery would give me this luck.

Damaris

Philliefan33

good morning everyone.

It's not hot here -- high of 58º with strong winds.  No running today, but I may either cycle or yoga.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - DH had the synvisc too, and they did help a lot, especially the first year he did it.

Scotty - no heat here.  Yesterday's rain dropped the temps into the '50s, with nighttime temps around freezing.

PAD - enjoy your cross-training tonight.

Lauren - have fun at the gym tonight.

Z - hope the morning run went well.  Have a good evening run.

Damaris- enjoy your rest or easy run today.

HM - After all the hard work your singing group has been doing, a break will bring you back refreshed.

Margo - have fun cross-training.

AFM: hiking today.  Turns out I was feeling a lot more ambitious than DH, so it will be a pretty short hike, but the goal is to get used to carrying 20 lbs again and to get our dog used to camping in the backcountry.  Our only previous attempt, he tore a hole in the tent trying to get to a yowling raccoon.  Hopefully there will be no repeat this time.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

4 easy miles this morning and I am going out for more later.

Scotty: Oh man, sorry about the heat. I am not looking forward to that.

Jerry: Any TV update?

PAD: Good work on the Cross Fit. My younger DD, the swimmer, is now doing that two days a week and her coach has noticed a difference in her strength and swimming.

Zel: where is the robotics team going?

PF: Enjoy the bike or yoga (I vote yoga).

Ginny: Enjoy the hike. Are the trailheads close to home or do you have to drive?

Here is the great painting by She Can. We got it framed and it is now proudly hanging in DD's room for all to see.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy cross training at the gym, PAD!  I am going to do that myself...weight training circuit today after work.

Happy gym time, Lauren.  Hope your work day is going well.

Good luck to your DD, Z!   Hope your girls on the run miles went well.  Have fun with your post-work miles!

Enjoy the calmer week, HsM.  No quartet this week...whatever will you do after work?

If the monetary lottery does give you luck, Damaris...can I have a loan? 

What is up with Pennsylvania, Phillie?  You and Ginny both getting cold, dreary weather.  Doe Mother Nature have some kind of grudge against your state?

Nice painting there, Jack, and now nicely framed too.  Cherie has some talent!