Beginners and Beyond

Before Sun Up Saturdailies (Read 41 times)

DavePNW

Jay, nice workout! I have a 12 w/7 straight tempo during marathon training, and it's a beast.

1. I don't need any gels or water during my race.

I'm never sure about this for a half. I used to take nothing, then switched to 1 gel washed down with a cup of water around mile 7 (or nearest water stop). No idea whether it makes a difference. I've taken a bit more water if the race is particularly warm. Thinking November in Delaware you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ran somewhere between 2-3 miles at OTF earlier. Just watched Geostorm on IMAX and now heading to see my dad.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Boo, false alarm.  My grandmother had dialysis and she is a bit tired so they are staying home.  I'll see him tomorrow.

And mileage at OTF was 2.27.

Damaris

Coastal

Morning!  I have OTF (finally, after three weeks of me not being able to go) and 5 miles. Hoping to see my dad either today or tomorrow (he is too far South to drive there during the week with traffic).

Coastal, I missed this.  What's up with your knee?  I have tried patella and knee sleeves and taping due to my prior meniscus surgery and patella coming off place, so just in case I can make suggestions.

Thanks. 

I did something to my knee three weeks ago.  Finished an 8 miler, and while walking to the house got a sudden sharp pain under the bottom of the kneecap.  Walked it off, felt fine the next day so I stupidly went out for a run and ended up hobbling 2.5 miles home.  I'm not running and am working on strengthening the quads and core/hips.  Sometimes it is fine, other times if aches in various places around the knee cap so I haven't been able to make a definitive Dr. Google diagnosis.  Smacking the kneecap against the desk didn't help .   I've tried a patella strap which seems to work better than the knee sleeve.

Hope you get to see your dad.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks. 

I did something to my knee three weeks ago.  Finished an 8 miler, and while walking to the house got a sudden sharp pain under the bottom of the kneecap.  Walked it off, felt fine the next day so I stupidly went out for a run and ended up hobbling 2.5 miles home.  I'm not running and am working on strengthening the quads and core/hips.  Sometimes it is fine, other times if aches in various places around the knee cap so I haven't been able to make a definitive Dr. Google diagnosis.  Smacking the kneecap against the desk didn't help .   I've tried a patella strap which seems to work better than the knee sleeve.

Hope you get to see your dad.

My pain was more underneath the patella but you could be having some patella tracking due to an area that is weak.  The patella strap should help but you should also strengthen the calves, ITB and inner thighs and see which one helps more.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

Currently at Oski's house and she is cooking us a turkey dinner. JEALOUS MUCH?

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Shorts I have worn all summer decided today would be a good day to chafe. Actually, it was the liner of my shorts. And my shirt. That was a really fun shower.

Cyberic

Shorts I have worn all summer decided today would be a good day to chafe. Actually, it was the liner of my shorts. And my shirt. That was a really fun shower.

How did it go?

Half Crazy K 2.0

How did it go?

Grab a beer & read

RunningOnSand

JayB, yes yes yes to the attitude you have going into the workout. I just got next week's workouts by my coach and I'm a bit scared, ha! Trying to change that around to "I will kick ass" and see if that helps. I'm anticipating that will (btw kickass workout).

Docket, hope your grandma is okay? And that's awesome you'll be able to see your dad soon. 

Coastal, I hope your knee starts behaving soon. You've got such a patient attitude about it. 

HC, looking forward to reading your RR! Sorry about the chaffeage.

Re: streaking - I did a November streak 2 years ago (November is my birthday month) and that was fun. I enjoyed it. 

Today I did 6. It was a lot windier and warmer than I'd anticipated. I was reading on what you guys were saying about easy paces and even though your race pace will speed up for various distances, your easy paces have stayed the same? *cries* It takes so damned long for me to run anything with slightly higher mileage. Maybe I'll be an anomaly if 2018 will finally be the year I can get some decent mileage in without my achilles barking too loudly. 

Oh and JayB and everybody else who chimed in about the crazy eating at night - solidarity. Cyber I'm jealous you can eat a bag of chips every night and have no repercussions.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I was reading on what you guys were saying about easy paces and even though your race pace will speed up for various distances, your easy paces have stayed the same? *cries* It takes so damned long for me to run anything with slightly higher mileage. Maybe I'll be an anomaly if 2018 will finally be the year I can get some decent mileage in without my achilles barking too loudly. 

I feel your pain.

GinnyinPA

That discussion struck me, because my experience has been the opposite.  It seems that every year I'll hit a point where my easy paces are about 15 seconds faster than they were before. Usually in autumn when the cooler weather makes running feel so much easier. Last year's anemia screwed that up, but when I had my iron straightened out, I did find my easy pace faster again. Probably it's because I don't run as much as you all do, or because I don't do much speedwork, so my easy runs are faster than they would be if I trained harder. If I run without paying close attention to my watch, I just go faster.

RunningOnSand

That discussion struck me, because my experience has been the opposite.  It seems that every year I'll hit a point where my easy paces are about 15 seconds faster than they were before. Usually in autumn when the cooler weather makes running feel so much easier. Last year's anemia screwed that up, but when I had my iron straightened out, I did find my easy pace faster again. Probably it's because I don't run as much as you all do, or because I don't do much speedwork, so my easy runs are faster than they would be if I trained harder. If I run without paying close attention to my watch, I just go faster.

That's what had happened to me a couple years ago when I was putting in consistent mileage - I naturally sped up. But since my achilles issues, it's been far from it. I've run consistently, mostly 5 days per week (sometimes 4, rarely 3) since May and I'm not seeing huge improvements. I guess minor improvements, but I just had hoped that it would have been more since then. I'm probably just being impatient, though.

Cyberic

*cries* It takes so damned long for me to run anything with slightly higher mileage. 

Run by time. It's pretty much what I do. I report back my mileage here, but I mostly run by time. Tomorrow, for my long run, I'll run for around 2 hours. When I want to go extra long (marathon training) I run longer (for more time). Mileage is a by-product.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Run by time. It's pretty much what I do. I report back my mileage here, but I mostly run by time. Tomorrow, for my long run, I'll run for around 2 hours. When I want to go extra long (marathon training) I run longer (for more time). Mileage is a by-product.

And that's where the speed things comes into play. In 2 hours today, I was probably just passing mile 11. In 2 hours, you probably cover 16 or more.