Beginners and Beyond

Before Sun Up Saturdailies (Read 41 times)

onemile

I think it depends how long you've been training because it seems like my easy pace did get a lot faster and then kind of leveled out.

This is average overall but kind of reflects that even though my race times improved a good amount still my average pace didn't change much since 2014

Date ▼ Activity Course Type Distance Duration Pace Speed Max HR Notes
    2017       2508.9 mi 349:30:09 8:22 7.2    
    2016       2660.0 mi 375:45:45 8:29 7.1 108  
    2015       2638.6 mi 371:32:13 8:27 7.1 155  
    2014       2301.4 mi 326:31:20 8:31 7.0 172  
    2013       2568.5 mi 382:49:48 8:57 6.7    
    2012       2000.0 mi 329:52:03 9:54 6.1    
    2011       808.8 mi 136:42:18 10:09 5.9    
    2010       1321.7 mi 224:50:23 10:13 5.9 170  
    Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And that's where the speed things comes into play. In 2 hours today, I was probably just passing mile 11. In 2 hours, you probably cover 16 or more.

Yeah, if I run by time, I would run very few miles.  Not sure a run by time plan will have 3-4 hour runs weekly, ha.

Damaris

onemile

Yeah, if I run by time, I would run very few miles.  Not sure a run by time plan will have 3-4 hour runs weekly, ha.

How many hours a week do you run?

Cyberic

It is the same thing. If you run 20 miles at 5mph, that's four hours, right?

If you want to run longer than that, it is not "necessary" to go to 21 or 22 miles. That is my point. 4:05 is more than 4:00. 5 more minutes is something.

I understand that for marathon training, you need to put in the miles, and that means more time for slower people than for faster people. But that doesn't mean you need to TRAIN by miles.

Not saying it is bad to train by miles either, just that it is possible to do it otherwise, and by time, the chunks can be smaller.

DavePNW

Uncanny how stable this has been. Of course the workouts & race miles have gotten faster and (presumably) become a higher % of total miles.

2017    2275.4 mi    8:52
            2016    2821.3 mi    8:47
            2015    2554.0 mi    8:53
            2014    2359.5 mi.   8:53
            2013    1466.9 mi    8:59

I do remember for the 2-3 years of running before the RA data starts, every run was at "easy" pace, and they were pretty consistently ~8:30. At some point it slowed to ~9:00. Could probably do a search for only runs marked "easy", but it may be the slowdown happened before I started logging here, and before I started labeling runs.

MTA: All runs marked "easy" - did not start labeling till 2014.

2017    890.8 mi      9:10
            2016    1035.0 mi    9:08
            2015    1337.6 mi    9:06
            2014    1184.1 mi    9:04

Easy pace has slowed by exactly 2 seconds per year. Theory proven!

Dave

breadnatty08

Howdy folks!  Last major long workout was today.  Planned for 22mi with 14 at GMP but things got F'd up when after stowing my gel pack in my handheld I noticed a mile later my car key flew out.    I spent an HOUR AND A HALF looking for it to no avail.  Freezing and annoyed I finally had to bite the bullet and run home (I parked about 7mi from home).  It ended up shorting me to about 20.5mi total but still managed roughly the 14 total at MP.  The latter miles shot up a bit faster (2 at sub 6, woops), but tried to keep most between 6:10 and 6:20.

Thinking a goal of 2:45-2:50 is pretty doable; not positive what I'll go out at but probably try to keep it no faster than 6:15.  Still have 3 weeks until race day so another decent week ahead before taper.  I don't think I'll hit 100mi for this week, but it'll be close.

Anyway, after a few hours, we finally got a key made for our car (without towing) and $250 later, the whole ordeal was over.  

Find me on Strava

Half Crazy K 2.0

Bread, losing a car key is a huge fear of mine. Glad you could get the new one without needing a tow.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

How many hours a week do you run?

8-10 when I'm running my usual 45-55mpw.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It is the same thing. If you run 20 miles at 5mph, that's four hours, right?

If you want to run longer than that, it is not "necessary" to go to 21 or 22 miles. That is my point. 4:05 is more than 4:00. 5 more minutes is something.

I understand that for marathon training, you need to put in the miles, and that means more time for slower people than for faster people. But that doesn't mean you need to TRAIN by miles.

Not saying it is bad to train by miles either, just that it is possible to do it otherwise, and by time, the chunks can be smaller.

I agree.  But all plans by time that I have seen peak at 2-2.5 hours for LRs which is 10-13 miles for me.  4 hours would be for me 21-22 miles but I've never seen a marathon training program (and that's all I train for) by time that would have 2-4 hours per run during the week.  They are usually either high miles or by time (and low miles for slow people like me).

it does not help that if I run anything BUT .00 or 0.50 exactly my head would explode. 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Howdy folks!  Last major long workout was today.  Planned for 22mi with 14 at GMP but things got F'd up when after stowing my gel pack in my handheld I noticed a mile later my car key flew out.    I spent an HOUR AND A HALF looking for it to no avail.  Freezing and annoyed I finally had to bite the bullet and run home (I parked about 7mi from home).  It ended up shorting me to about 20.5mi total but still managed roughly the 14 total at MP.  The latter miles shot up a bit faster (2 at sub 6, woops), but tried to keep most between 6:10 and 6:20.

Thinking a goal of 2:45-2:50 is pretty doable; not positive what I'll go out at but probably try to keep it no faster than 6:15.  Still have 3 weeks until race day so another decent week ahead before taper.  I don't think I'll hit 100mi for this week, but it'll be close.

Anyway, after a few hours, we finally got a key made for our car (without towing) and $250 later, the whole ordeal was over.  

Ugh!  Glad you managed most of the miles anyway.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ran 3 to finish the day at 5.27.  First day back at OTF on the TM went well but I don't want to push it.  Next week I will not combine the miles like today.

Damaris

LRB

I've lost a key during a run, it sucks. I found it but was screwed for a good while there. I subsequently alternated between leaving it on or under a tire (which is dumb), and leaving one of the back doors unlocked (dumber).

I drive a vehicle now that has key-less entry, and I swear it is the greatest thing for runners since fire was discovered.

DavePNW

I drive a vehicle now that has key-less entry, and I swear it is the greatest thing for runners since fire was discovered.

Word.

Although some of my shorts have a small zipper pocket. And all of them have the little inside pocket, which is usually big enough for a key.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've lost a key during a run, it sucks. I found it but was screwed for a good while there. I subsequently alternated between leaving it on or under a tire (which is dumb), and leaving one of the back doors unlocked (dumber).

yes!

Damaris

LRB

Word.

Although some of my shorts have a small zipper pocket. And all of them have the little inside pocket, which is usually big enough for a key.

I know. It's just that when you've lost a key on a run, you never want to run with one again. At least I don't. One less thing....

Speaking of which, there is a picture buried within the annals of this group of Jay List racing a marathon...with keys in hand.